• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chris Ellis

I haven't seen his name mentioned around the board, so I thought I'd make a thread for discussion. He's been flying under the radar due to a misleading ERA, thanks to some bad luck and pitching in a hitters haven. His peripherals look very sexy tho (stats posted below)

4.89 ERA

10.7 K/9

2.3 BB/9

8.9 H/9

.313 BAbip (.415 in April)

It seems like his name gets thrown around the most when it comes to trade talk. I wonder if the Angels plan on moving him up to Arkansas soon to let him pitch in a big ballpark and up his value. Anyway, what are your guys' thoughts on Ellis? 

My vote is to go Bill Stoneman here and not trade anyone whose last name is Heaney, Tropeano, Ellis, Newcomb, Gatto, or Rhoades.

I want to hang onto them also, but I think it's inevitable that a couple of those names will be dealt for a bat.

Ellis's stock is a ticking time bomb, it's going to explode eventually. The Angels bought into his success in his final year at college, where other teams focused more on his history as a reliever, and an erratic one at that.

But the upside is undeniable. His fastball moves almost as much as Richards, but in the 91-94 range, instead if the unreal 94-97. Regardless, it's a plus pitch for Ellis. He already has a plus change up and a good slider/curve.

Three plus pitches results in being a major leaguer more often than not. The big thing with Ellis is refinement and consistency. If he can consistently spot his pitches and refine his delivery, he has a chance at being a mid-rotation starter. Most people see him as a reliever. But then again, most people saw Santana and Richards as RP too.

I think Ellis is a starter and turns into a good #4.

• 2 weeks later...

That was an excellent post Shane.  Ellis does have great stuff, looks like a major leaguer, but much like Richards when he was first drafted, when he misses, he misses pretty bad.  Really hoping they hold onto Ellis but now that other teams have seen his stuff transfer to professional ball, and now that the Angels have needs at the major league level, you gotta figure he's going to be a main target in some sort of trade.  Sucks, he's a likeable guy, definitely want to keep him aboard if you can. 

Better not be a Joyce like bat, we have too many of those already.

If he gets moved it will likely be part of a larger package for a significant bat AO. They won't toss him away for nothing.

Check out my Trade article series that should be hitting the site anytime now for some examples over the next week or two.

I absolutely would not trade Ellis. The pitchers I'd make available are Alcantara, Rhoades, Smith, DeLoach. That still allows them to keep Heaney, Newcomb, Ellis and Tropeano.

That should be enough to retain necessary pitching depth and also acquire what they need.

I would be willing to trade anyone for the right deal. Acting otherwise is penny wise and dollar foolish. But, I don't see why you're so ready to trade Alcantara so easily. There's a lot more to his arm than you appear to believe.

I would be willing to trade anyone for the right deal. Acting otherwise is penny wise and dollar foolish. But, I don't see why you're so ready to trade Alcantara so easily. There's a lot more to his arm than you appear to believe.

I think you are mistaken Dave, Scotty loves Alcantara (as well as Grant Green and Austin Wood).

Trust that I wouldn't claim Amy of Acantara's deficiencies in his arm. He's got arm to spare, which us why he'd hold value in a trade. I believe his inability to throw strikes or even control which part of the zone he's in will inevitably land him in the bullpen. This isn't so bad because his stuff would really play up in that role.

But without a secondary offering that he can throw for a strike, hitters can and will key on his heat.

I'm guessing Joyce's timeline before being DFA'd is under a week now. I'm also guessing that's right around when the Angels will go about acquiring a LF from the trade market. I really do t want the Angels to trade him, but you have to think that other teams will certainly be asking for him.

Knowing what they know now, that Ellis' stuff does transfer into a profession starting rotation, I'm guessing teams would be more willing to draft him in the first round, which is likely where he should've been picked. Angels made a great grab here.

Gotta think teams are asking about him and Tropeano.