• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aviation Fans

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

How do you not have your phone handy?

Are you a caveman?

There was a guy moving funny in my neighborhood.  I went outside to check with a gun in one hand, a weed wacker in the other.  Turns out, he wasn't a zombie.  I looked up and saw the planes.  

3 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

There was a guy moving funny in my neighborhood.  I went outside to check with a gun in one hand, a weed wacker in the other.  Turns out, he wasn't a zombie.  I looked up and saw the planes.  

That's understandable.

15 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

forgot about this thread....here is something cool I saw yesterday.

How disappointing I am with Top Gun now.  I always thought that one of the coolest jobs on an aircraft carrier was the guy that pointed for the planes to launch.  And here I don't see that guy.  

BlissfulBossyHyracotherium-size_restrict 

Edited by gotbeer

• 6 months later...

These are some of the guys that sent Apollo to the moon and back. This is the North American Rockwell guidance control team. My father is seated 2nd row, 2nd from left.

When he started in guidance control he would write out the formulas using slide rule calculations then turn those over to the data entry team to cross check on a computer overnight. There was no such thing as a personnel computer. Desk calculators were few and far between since they were huge, heavy, very expensive and only did very basic math. 

20210203_175402.jpg

6 hours ago, Blarg said:

These are some of the guys that sent Apollo to the moon and back. This is the North American Rockwell guidance control team. My father is seated 2nd row, 2nd from left.

When he started in guidance control he would write out the formulas using slide rule calculations then turn those over to the data entry team to cross check on a computer overnight. There was no such thing as a personnel computer. Desk calculators were few and far between since they were huge, heavy, very expensive and only did very basic math. 

20210203_175402.jpg

All I see is a bunch of supervisors, and one guy to do all the calculations by hand.

I believe there is only one member of that group alive today. None of them were ever interviewed or part of any documentary or book. When the cuts to the space industry came about a lot of them ended up unemployed and struggled to find work. The store manager at the McDonald's I worked at was once an engineer for Hughes in the satellite division. 

11 hours ago, Blarg said:

20210203_175402.jpg

rock stars, every last one of them.

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

I believe there is only one member of that group alive today. None of them were ever interviewed or part of any documentary or book. When the cuts to the space industry came about a lot of them ended up unemployed and struggled to find work. The store manager at the McDonald's I worked at was once an engineer for Hughes in the satellite division. 

i wish we as a society would have been determined in hearing from these guys. no doubt there would have been some real boring and technical parts to their story, but what a story to tell. i'm sad that it wasn't until the movie "hidden figures" came out that i first heard of kathryn johnson, but i'm glad that a light was shined on her and the incredible work she did for the space program. i would love to have heard from more of the people that figured it all out even though i might not understand much about the work they did. they all deserved recognition for accomplishing such an incredible work.

45 minutes ago, Tank said:

i wish we as a society would have been determined in hearing from these guys. no doubt there would have been some real boring and technical parts to their story, but what a story to tell. i'm sad that it wasn't until the movie "hidden figures" came out that i first heard of kathryn johnson, but i'm glad that a light was shined on her and the incredible work she did for the space program. i would love to have heard from more of the people that figured it all out even though i might not understand much about the work they did. they all deserved recognition for accomplishing such an incredible work.

People are focused more on the Kardashians.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:07 AM, Blarg said:

When I started my freshman year at the University of Florida in the early 1970s, academic advisors were steering people away from engineering. There were a lot of guys who wound up out of work when the space program wound down, and they were snapping up whatever engineering jobs opened up. I heard of one who wound up as a manager at a 7-Eleven, because he couldn't find anything else..

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

• 7 months later...
On 3/13/2021 at 7:15 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

When I started my freshman year at the University of Florida in the early 1970s, academic advisors were steering people away from engineering. There were a lot of guys who wound up out of work when the space program wound down, and they were snapping up whatever engineering jobs opened up. I heard of one who wound up as a manager at a 7-Eleven, because he couldn't find anything else..

Youd like to think that before he got there, the slurpees were just mediocre. But he found a way to streamline them or something.

Like it was his idea to make the straw have that open / stabbing side.

• 2 months later...