• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you rather...

the Angels acquire a power hitter to put in the four spot or a high OBP guy with speed that would bat lead off? Now my thought is power hitter these days is someone that hits about 25 homers with 35+ doubles. What do you think the team needs more at this time? My thought is I would rather have a true lead off hitter that creates issues on the bases. It would work well with Scioscia's strengths and his style of managing. Give me your thoughts or even your idea of who you would like them to acquire.

Strad, enough pip squeaks. We need a masher. The reason we need a masher is because the guy that's paid $24M per year and climbing is not doing any mashing. We need a guy not named Trout that can clear the bases. Back in 2012 people ripped me for suggesting that we should have signed Fielder instead of Pujols. Albert is hitting .179 with RISP this season. Fielder is hitting .429 with RISP this season. Albert is still a decent defensive player but give me a break .231ba / .676ops. while hitting 3rd in the lineup?

If Albert was still mashing we wouldn't be sweating out games late into the night against teams like the Rockies. We also wouldn't have needed this thread.

the high obp speed guy is gonna be tough to get.  most of the time, those guys play middle IF or CF so in trade you pay extra for that.  Yet on this team, they would be put in a corner OF spot which immediately gives you less value that what you paid for.  

On top of that, it's only worth while if guys like pujos, freese etc. start doing well because one decent player isn't going to make or break this team.  

I do know that cowgill is not the answer.  I actually have more faith in Joyce to come back to average.  

So I think the power guy is more realistic.  Still hoping for a Reddick type.  

I disagree that a mashing Albert would solve this offense. I get that it's another opportunity for you to make it about Albert, it's what you do. But if Albert was mashing they would walk him and face a lousy Freese or Joyce. If we had a good OBP guy batting lead off then it would be one more guy on for Trout to drive in.

I disagree that a mashing Albert would solve this offense. I get that it's another opportunity for you to make it about Albert, it's what you do. But if Albert was mashing they would walk him and face a lousy Freese or Joyce. If we had a good OBP guy batting lead off then it would be one more guy on for Trout to drive in.

Are you suggesting that it's better that Albert doesn't mash because they would walk him to much? I think that this team would be much better if Albert was mashing the ball. I just don't understand how Albert can hit .239ba  / .676ops in the 3 spot and get a FREE PASS from you. Now please try to convince me why you wouldn't rather have Fielder hitting 3rd in our lineup than Pujols. 

Are you suggesting that it's better that Albert doesn't mash because they would walk him to much? I think that this team would be much better if Albert was mashing the ball. I just don't understand how Albert can hit .239ba / .676ops in the 3 spot and get a FREE PASS from you. Now please try to convince me why you wouldn't rather have Fielder hitting 3rd in our lineup than Pujols.

Well right this minute I would take Fielder, but the last three years it would have been Fielder. Also offense is only half of it. Fielder is awful defensively, and just as big of an injury risk as Albert. By the way he doesn't get a free pass from me, I just don't attach every bad thing centered around the Angels and blame Albert. EVERYONE gets that you don't care for him, because he makes a lot of money and isn't earning his salary. You're the type of guy that would compare Alberts performance to ARod's and shit all over Albert, without even acknowledging the shame and disgrace ARod has brought upon the Yankees the last several years. It's silly.

Well right this minute I would take Fielder, but the last three years it would have been Fielder. Also offense is only half of it. Fielder is awful defensively, and just as big of an injury risk as Albert. By the way he doesn't get a free pass from me, I just don't attach every bad thing centered around the Angels and blame Albert. EVERYONE gets that you don't care for him, because he makes a lot of money and isn't earning his salary. You're the type of guy that would compare Alberts performance to ARod's and shit all over Albert, without even acknowledging the shame and disgrace ARod has brought upon the Yankees the last several years. It's silly.

So this is how it would go. You know I'm right because Pujols won't move.

1) OBP guy

2) Trout

3) Pujols

4) Calhoun

5) insert name

6) insert name

7) insert name

8) insert name

9) insert name

This is how it would go:

1 OBP guy singles

2 Trout bunts him to 2nd and beats out the throw

3 Pujols pulls the 1st pitch hard to 3B into a triple play

4 insert curse word

5 insert curse word

6 insert curse word

7 insert curse word

8 insert curse word

9 DH hitting .122

Edited by ELEVEN

Strad, you have to look at what's happening after Trout hits. Pujols, Joyce, Aybar, Cowgill, Iannetta, Freese are all underacheiving. Johnny Baseball and Carlos Perez are pleasant surprises. Pujols is the reason why the angels signed Hamilton. Pujols has to be sandwiched between two productive sluggers to help mask his decline. One of his failed pallbearers just left for Texas. Cron, Cowgill, Joyce, Krauss, Green and Freese can't help Trout carry the other side of his casket. A new OBP guy won't make much of a difference if Pujols doesn't move down to 5th or 6th where he belongs.

Edited by CALZONE

Strad, you have to look at what's happening after Trout hits. Pujols, Joyce, Aybar, Cowgill, Iannetta, Freese are all underacheiving. Johnny Baseball and Carlos Perez are pleasant surprises. Pujols is the reason why the angels signed Hamilton. Pujols has to be sandwiched between two productive sluggers to help mask his decline. One of his failed pallbearers just left for Texas. Cron, Cowgill, Joyce, Krauss, Green and Freese can't help Trout carry the other side of his casket. A new OBP guy won't make much of a difference if Pujols doesn't move down to 5th or 6th where he belongs.

No the Angels didn't sign Hamilton to mask Albert's decline. He was signed because they guessed wrong on what it would take to resign Greinke. Once the asking price for Greinke was too high they took their budget and went out and signed Hamilton to create a one two power punch of Albert and Hamilton. Also the team wanted another lefty to balance out the line up. I know you won't believe this but Albert in 2012 after April was a great player. So your narrative that Hamilton was signed to mask Albert's decline is nonsense. Now that can be your opinion but you speak of it as if it's a fact and it simply isn't.

Also look at your scenario up above, even if Albert is mashing in the three hole, we still have Freese and Joyce batting after him. So let's bat Albert 4th, we still have Freese or Joyce batting behind him. The offense sucks because of Alberts decline and all the poor performers batting behind him. Albert is still one of the top four performers in this line up as sad as that is.

This is how it would go:

1 OBP guy singles

2 Trout bunts him to 2nd and beats out the throw

3 Pujols pulls the 1st pitch hard to 3B into a triple play

4 insert curse word

5 insert curse word

6 insert curse word

7 insert curse word

8 insert curse word

9 DH hitting .122

This list is ridiculous. The .122 guy would obviously be batting cleanup.

If you could get a true leadoff guy then you drop Trout to third, at least he would have a chance to hit with RISP. If Albert doesn't come through in the clutch then Trout will getthe Barry Bonds treatment and be walked 2-3 times a game, the MLB version of Hack-A- Shaq. There is definitely a need for a productive left fielder and a consistent DH.

I would like to take a chanceon CarGo. A change of scenery may kick start his bat back up. Cron

needs to go down and work on his pitch recognition. Joyce just needs to go along with Cowgill. The problem is the organization is devoid of outfielders whocan hit. Hopefully JD Addresses this deficiency in the June Draft.