• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels and Huston Street agree on 2 year extension - Club option for 3rd year

Aaaaand it looks like they made solid use of the Hamilton savings...

"Earning $7 million this season, Street will get a $4 million signing bonus, with half payable by Nov. 15, 2016, and the rest by Nov. 15, 2017. He gets salaries of $6 million in 2016 and $7 million in 2017."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/12881522/huston-street-los-angeles-angels-re-signs-2-years-18-million

This deal is great in two ways: It is great for the Angels as they have locked up a good closer for 2 more years and aren't paying him much at all. It is also great because if the Angels are out of it by the trade deadline they can trade Street to a contender and get a pretty nice haul of prospects without having to pay much, if any of his salary.

Hopefully the latter doesn't happen but if it does, there's at least something positive to look at.

if the Angels trade him for prospects (this year) after he signed an extension -- they would probably never get a player to sign an extension like this again.

pretty sure there's a no trade clause as I think Street had one in his prior contract (no trade to specific teams)

this is a good deal for both sides -- Street gets two years plus a one year club option..........

for Street and for a lot of these guys -- if the atmosphere and the playing situation is working --- it makes sense to sign an extension, stay there and even forego some money -- in the end it actually may extend a guy's career because if he does well, there's another contract waiting for him.......

in this case, true, as a coveted top closer (who's shelf life can be pretty short) he would have been a top commodity in F/A.

Good move by our F/O - DiPoto and company -- credit for this is theirs.......heck we are critical here of their moves from time to time -- credit due to them now on this one..

I wonder if having the shot at breaking K-Rod's record had any bearing on his decision.

I don't think he cares about that. I think he wants to be on a team that can contend in the playoffs, and I think he believes the Angels are good candidates for that.

Plus, what person in their right mind wouldn't want to play 81 games in Southern California?

• 1 year later...