• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Favorite comedians/comedy bits (NSFW)

49 minutes ago, Adam said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-wins-bidding-war-pair-ali-wong-stand-up-specials-1259033

Wong's Netflix deal is worth in the eight figures for both specials, sources note.

Crazy! I wonder how much they pay funny people.

they must have included the figures on the right side of the decimal point

55 minutes ago, Adam said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-wins-bidding-war-pair-ali-wong-stand-up-specials-1259033

Wong's Netflix deal is worth in the eight figures for both specials, sources note.

Crazy! I wonder how much they pay funny people.

Yeah, not my cup of tea. There are a few big name comics that don't seem to do it for me like Iliza Schleshinger and Jo Koy that many seem to be into. Not that they are bad, just kind of in an overrated tier.

Speaking of which and it's the end of the year, anyone go to any comedy shows, find someone new, or have a great experience out this year?

I think I'm actually lacking. I saw Theo Von at the Comedy Store on New Years, but outside of that maybe went to the Comedy Store a few times. I might have passed on more shows this past year than normal because they were big names that were kind of hackey.....I think I was traumatized a year or two ago where a girl I worked with that used to go to comedy shows with me and liked comedians as much as I did and she picked out Wayne Brady one night and I think we both heard he is kind of like Bob Saget to where he has a tv persona, but the stand up is killer and we were expecting Chappelle Show Wayne Brady and got the most cookie cutter, vanilla, whack ass comedy show I've ever seen. It was segmented with props and also had people from the crowd come up to participate. Just terrible.

The main miss was Theo Von a few months back. Dude was going to do Brea Improv and cancelled last minute. I didn't pay for the tix but it sounded like it was no refund and you just got stuck with whatever the replacement was. It was essentially latin night with latin based jokes. Luckily, I lived in a Spanish speaking household at a time so got most of it, but it was meant for a different crowd. I thought the comedians did well for the material and crowd, but that shit sucked when you have to pity go to a show and see people you had no intention on seeing just because the tickets are non-refundable.

Curious to see what other members here saw this year.

45 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Speaking of which and it's the end of the year, anyone go to any comedy shows, find someone new, or have a great experience out this year?

I think I'm actually lacking. I saw Theo Von at the Comedy Store on New Years, but outside of that maybe went to the Comedy Store a few times. I might have passed on more shows this past year than normal because they were big names that were kind of hackey.....I think I was traumatized a year or two ago where a girl I worked with that used to go to comedy shows with me and liked comedians as much as I did and she picked out Wayne Brady one night and I think we both heard he is kind of like Bob Saget to where he has a tv persona, but the stand up is killer and we were expecting Chappelle Show Wayne Brady and got the most cookie cutter, vanilla, whack ass comedy show I've ever seen. It was segmented with props and also had people from the crowd come up to participate. Just terrible.

The main miss was Theo Von a few months back. Dude was going to do Brea Improv and cancelled last minute. I didn't pay for the tix but it sounded like it was no refund and you just got stuck with whatever the replacement was. It was essentially latin night with latin based jokes. Luckily, I lived in a Spanish speaking household at a time so got most of it, but it was meant for a different crowd. I thought the comedians did well for the material and crowd, but that shit sucked when you have to pity go to a show and see people you had no intention on seeing just because the tickets are non-refundable.

Curious to see what other members here saw this year.

I went to my buddy's special taping in Brea. It was ok. I think that's it. I watched a few specials on TV that were great. 

wife and i enjoy going to the ice house in pasadena but haven't been there in many years. might be time to go back. i'm so out of touch with who the good comedians are anymore so whoever we see will be a pleasant surprise (hopefully, unless it's adam's friend).

1 hour ago, Tank said:

wife and i enjoy going to the ice house in pasadena but haven't been there in many years. might be time to go back. i'm so out of touch with who the good comedians are anymore so whoever we see will be a pleasant surprise (hopefully, unless it's adam's friend).

I strangely haven't been there yet for someone that's into comedy is just weird. It's the oldest comedy room in the US and I hear the setup, acoustics, etc. are amazing. I think Tom Segura's wife, Christina P, does kind of a residency there where she goes up every Thursday plus dudes like Rogan and Santino pop in time to time. Part of the reason I want to go is because the venue seems to be more up and coming comics or peeps working out material, which I think is a fun process. Part of the reason I go to The Comedy Store so much is to see 15 minute sets of people I have never heard of.....if it sucks or they bomb it's just 15 minutes, if it's great you then have some YouTube homework to look forward to.

1 hour ago, Don said:

Burr's was fantastic. Probably my favorite in terms of just straight stand up working today.

He's on another level. I've recently spent way too many hours on YouTube just looking up everything from his podcast bits/ advice Q&A's to stand up bits over the years I forgot about to his guest appearance podcast snippets. It's unique to see how people come up or create bits but this dude just seriously comes up with so much funny shit in regular conversation that it's mind blowing.

Tried to watch the new Michelle Wolf Netflix special. She was funny on Rogan the other day, but I gave up after 20 minutes or so. I was watching with a girlfriend and said, "If this next one doesn't do well, I'm done and you take the remote." I threw on the Alonzo Bodden Amazon special and man did it kill. I liked him on podcasts, but wasn't sure I'd like his stand up. This was probably my third favorite hour special of the year. He has some Chappelle like qualities about him with pausing and delivery. Very well done and very impressed.

Then to keep it rolling my friend has not seen the Burr or Chappelle special so I re-watched those and they delivered just as well as the first time I saw them. The three best comedy specials of the year in a single night.

do any of you watch the late night shows like kimmel or the tonight show? i used to watch the monologue from leno (yes, i know, i'm old) and then kimmel, but not a single one of these guys is funny. colbert just seems like a whiny little punk and fallon hasn't told a funny joke in like ever. even seth meyers, who was very sharp doing the news on SNL, just fails constantly for me. they spend so much time criticizing trump that they don't know how to put a solid joke together. please understand that i don't mind jokes about any of our president, but they need to be funny, and these guys just can't hit the target. i'd rather watch a home renovation show.

23 hours ago, Tank said:

do any of you watch the late night shows like kimmel or the tonight show? i used to watch the monologue from leno (yes, i know, i'm old) and then kimmel, but not a single one of these guys is funny. colbert just seems like a whiny little punk and fallon hasn't told a funny joke in like ever. even seth meyers, who was very sharp doing the news on SNL, just fails constantly for me. they spend so much time criticizing trump that they don't know how to put a solid joke together. please understand that i don't mind jokes about any of our president, but they need to be funny, and these guys just can't hit the target. i'd rather watch a home renovation show.

There's so much better content online it's amazing anyone watches this corporate garbage

They don’t, I know some of the comedians that write for those shows. I couldn’t fathom watching late night talk shows with their canned material, questions, and jokes written by others in five minute increments.

I get that there is probably some nostalgia from the Carson era, but the ship has sailed on the medium. You can find so much better content for free on YouTube than sit through a weak five minute interview that is designed for someone to promote their movie just to sit through five minutes of commercials.

19 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Yeah, Tank, you corporate stooge.

apology accepted. thanks.

i finally stopped watching all of the late night shows about a year and a half ago. just a total crapfest. it was a nice end to the day to listen to leno but that boat definitely sailed.

i miss good stand up. might start searching out some stuff on youtube. appreciate any suggestions.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

apology accepted. thanks.

i finally stopped watching all of the late night shows about a year and a half ago. just a total crapfest. it was a nice end to the day to listen to leno but that boat definitely sailed.

i miss good stand up. might start searching out some stuff on youtube. appreciate any suggestions.

For you, start with Jim Gaffigan and Brian Reagan. We have such a difference in comedic taste that I’d say avoid anything I posted here except maybe the Bill Burr special.

I don’t listen to the comedians I recommended because I don’t think they’ll suit me, but come highly regarded and are tops for the clean comedy crowd. I respect both and respect the opinions of those that mentioned them or other comedians that like these two.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

For you, start with Jim Gaffigan and Brian Reagan. We have such a difference in comedic taste that I’d say avoid anything I posted here except maybe the Bill Burr special.

I don’t listen to the comedians I recommended because I don’t think they’ll suit me, but come highly regarded and are tops for the clean comedy crowd. I respect both and respect the opinions of those that mentioned them or other comedians that like these two.

I remember the first time I saw Him Gaffigan. Back when the Irvine Improv was located by UCI. No clue who he was, and he wasn't even the headliner for a Thursday night show. He went on second, but had a longer set than the usual second person. Probably was on for a good half hour. He had all four of us in our party laughing so hard, especially we he started doing that voice he does, that we were spent by the time the headliner came on. Laster maybe 10 minutes into his set, and took off.

16 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

I remember the first time I saw Him Gaffigan. Back when the Irvine Improv was located by UCI. No clue who he was, and he wasn't even the headliner for a Thursday night show. He went on second, but had a longer set than the usual second person. Probably was on for a good half hour. He had all four of us in our party laughing so hard, especially we he started doing that voice he does, that we were spent by the time the headliner came on. Laster maybe 10 minutes into his set, and took off.

I could totally see this. Going up after Gaffigan has to be a nightmare. I’ve listened to him on podcasts and like him, but standup and bits are different.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

I have two Brian Regan albums and two Gaffigan albums. Fantastic stuff. Brother and I saw Gaffigan at the Hollywood Improv 10+ years ago and his live show was outstanding. I’ve watched a little bit of Bill Burr here and like what I’ve seen. I’ve enjoyed Last Comic Standing but it’s been real inconsistent in how often they broadcast it. Found some good comics there in Kathleen Madrigal, Alonzo Bodin, and Gary Gulman. 

16 minutes ago, Tank said:

I have two Brian Regan albums and two Gaffigan albums. Fantastic stuff. Brother and I saw Gaffigan at the Hollywood Improv 10+ years ago and his live show was outstanding. I’ve watched a little bit of Bill Burr here and like what I’ve seen. I’ve enjoyed Last Comic Standing but it’s been real inconsistent in how often they broadcast it. Found some good comics there in Kathleen Madrigal, Alonzo Bodin, and Gary Gulman. 

Alonzo’s Amazon special is one of my favorites of the year if you catch it.

On 12/12/2019 at 6:27 PM, st1ckboy said:

Dang me too! I saw him open for either Chappelle or Pablo Francisco. He did 20 minutes and killed. He was a bit different though. Had a bit about anal sex with his wife that was great

On 12/15/2019 at 9:47 AM, Adam said:

Dang me too! I saw him open for either Chappelle or Pablo Francisco. He did 20 minutes and killed. He was a bit different though. Had a bit about anal sex with his wife that was great

Saw Pablo Francisco at the Irvine Improv around 6-7 years ago. It was a decent set, but as good as his older stuff. Still plenty of laughs though.