• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thanks, Albert Pujols

Chuck

Pujols is supposed to pick up guys and not go 0-5. Yes, Shoe struggled but Albert had plenty of opportunities to erase that. You should expect your 3 hitting hall of famers to contribute. I guess my standards are too high.

Yes and the 11 games prior to that he hit .350, it's baseball this stuff happens. We're you pissed at Trout the night before when he went 0-fer, because you know your MVP is suppose to contribute? No because we won the game 2-0. If Shoe gives up 4 runs in 3 innings you wouldn't even remember Albert went 0-fee.

Yes and the 11 games prior to that he hit .350, it's baseball this stuff happens. We're you pissed at Trout the night before when he went 0-fer, because you know your MVP is suppose to contribute? No because we won the game 2-0. If Shoe gives up 4 runs in 3 innings you wouldn't even remember Albert went 0-fee.

As you said earlier, Trout isn't being paid a fortune based on accomplishments he made for another team. That's why the fans cut him more slack. 

There is plenty of blame to go around for the loss last night...Shoe could have pitched better, CPEREZ could have hit a sacrifice fly in first instead of killing a rally with a double play...etc

I guess for me, and maybe for some here, it's the realization that the guy being paid to be a difference maker is no more feared by opposing managers than David Freese or Eric Aybar in high leverage situations. Entering the 9th, I could see from the line-up who was coming up and began seeing scenarios as to what it would take to get Trout up again and began adjusting the scenarios to who was on and who was up. As soon as Calhoun hit that double, I knew Trout would get walked to bring up Pujols because the Stros manager knows what Angels fans have been seeing for the past 3 1/4 seasons. It's not pessimism to expect Albert to fail in these situations because we have seen him fail so many that it's the realistic and expected outcome. The frustrating thing is the Angels have never seen anything resembling St Louis Pujols and, with each passing game, it becomes more and more obvious we never will. Not even a taste or a glimmer.

Edited by mulwin444

Albert was awful today no doubt, but this game is 100% on Shoe.

Very true, and this ain't the Shoe we saw in 2014, save for one start.

But there are many reasons to be frustrated with someone brought here to slug the ball, and instead has given the Halos maybe 5-6 good months in 3.2 seasons.

At least try to hit Johnny G., Trout, Calhoun, and Pujols 1-2-3-4, and see what happens.

Freese has disappeared again, that doesn't help matters any.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Trout is not hitting 3. Trout doesn't have the contract Pujols does. Pujols has a more storied career. Pujols has been around longer. Oh and in the last 11 games, what's his average with risp? How many home runs and rbi's did he have?

pujols_trout_arrows_tumblr_c956b2ll.gifThe only other time...but it was against Rodney....

How about these last season in July-Sept:

- 2 RBI single top of 10th vs Indians that won the game.

- Tying the game against Rodney with the Bow & Arrow

- RBI Single top of 13th vs Orioles. Angels win 1-0.

- HR top of 8th off Wilson to tie the game vs Dodgers.

- Walk Off HR in the 19th vs Boston

- 2 RBI 2B, Top 9th Vs Min to tie the game

Last season he batted .333 when the game was "late and close". Even the best players failed 7 out of 10 times in the "clutch".

There is plenty of blame to go around for the loss last night...Shoe could have pitched better, CPEREZ could have hit a sacrifice fly in first instead of killing a rally with a double play...etc

I guess for me, and maybe for some here, it's the realization that the guy being paid to be a difference maker is no more feared by opposing managers than David Freese or Eric Aybar in high leverage situations. Entering the 9th, I could see from the line-up who was coming up and began seeing scenarios as to what it would take to get Trout up again and began adjusting the scenarios to who was on and who was up. As soon as Calhoun hit that double, I knew Trout would get walked to bring up Pujols because the Stros manager knows what Angels fans have been seeing for the past 3 1/4 seasons. It's not pessimism to expect Albert to fail in these situations because we have seen him fail so many that it's the realistic and expected outcome. The frustrating thing is the Angels have never seen anything resembling St Louis Pujols and, with each passing game, it becomes more and more obvious we never will. Not even a taste or a glimmer.

Yet Scioscia continues to bat him 3rd.

I'm not saying you are guilty of this but I do believe that a lot of people are looking at his history and expecting a miracle return to his Cardinals level of performance...  I don't really get it.  Age, the change in leagues, the differences in parks, it's all added up and taken it's toll.    But it's interesting to see how much him not being that guy impacts people and how it seems to elevate the expectations.  FA has been around since 1975, this isn't really new anymore.   I'd hold it against him if only the Angels had not given him that contract of their own free will and if he weren't at least making a legit effort.  

People say he's never delivered here..  His three year splits say otherwise.  http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/4574/type/batting3/albert-pujols

Last three years 

Situation - OPS

Scoring position 2/outs - .847

Runners on - .840

Scoring position - .821

Overall  -.810

AL average 2014

Scoring position 2/outs - .712

Runners on - .745

Scoring position - .755

Overall - .715

So, no he's not vintage AP, and yet he's still managed to beat the AL averages by a decent clip.   People seriously need to accept that he's on the wrong side of 30 and struggling with everything that comes along with that.

Edited by Inside Pitch

St Louis OPS 1.037

LA Angels OPS .804

This is the reality. Occasional streaks and clutch hits are nice but, sorry, that's the job...that's what you're paid $25 mil a year for...what else you got?

St Louis (age 21-31)

LA Angels (age 32+)

Tell you whats really shocking, Albert Pujols is currently hitting .239/.303/.404.   Horrible, and yet his OPS+ is 100.   

The offense as a whole has been so bad that they end up needing some kind of walkoff to win. Expecting someone, no matter who it is, to pull off the walkoff each and every night is like expectung to hit the lottery everytime you buy a ticket.

Albert had been hitting well before last night's game so get over it.

How about these last season in July-Sept:

- 2 RBI single top of 10th vs Indians that won the game.

- Tying the game against Rodney with the Bow & Arrow

- RBI Single top of 13th vs Orioles. Angels win 1-0.

- HR top of 8th off Wilson to tie the game vs Dodgers.

- Walk Off HR in the 19th vs Boston

- 2 RBI 2B, Top 9th Vs Min to tie the game

Last season he batted .333 when the game was "late and close". Even the best players failed 7 out of 10 times in the "clutch".

That's not going to get his #5 retired and placed on the wall in the RF pavilion.

I don't think anyone is expecting vintage Pujols at this point but, seeing how offense has been depressed league wide, I'd sure take an .850-.875 OPS

With all due respect if you're expecting a .850-875 OPS in today's hitting environment and in Anaheim them you're coming closer to expecting vintage AP than you realize.    A .790 OPS was good for a 125 OPS+   This year Calhoun's .805 OPS translates into a 130 OPS+.  You figure 850-875 puts him north of 150 and that's entry level elite offense.

I really think people underestimate the park and how much the game has shifted away from big offense.  Makes what Trout is doing all that much more impressive IMO.

The offense as a whole has been so bad that they end up needing some kind of walkoff to win. Expecting someone, no matter who it is, to pull off the walkoff each and every night is like expectung to hit the lottery everytime you buy a ticket.

Albert had been hitting well before last night's game so get over it.

How many hr, rbi's did he have and what did he bat with RISP???????