• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New England Cheats Again

nando714

Or they could trust that the teams won't be petty douches who can't be trusted to carry a football from the locker room to the field without tampering with it.

Yeah because as a species we've proven time and time again that there's no need for rules, regulations or oversight.  It's not like people have a tendency to push the limits, see what they can get away with or flat out lie and cheat while looking for even the smallest advantage.  

The NFL just has to have headlines in May, right?

I'm a Ravens fan...and they face the Pats in the playoffs seemingly ever year.

They didn't lose their game because of the pressure of the damn ball. They lost because they blew TWO 14 point leads! No excuses necessary.

A stupid ruling that defies all common sense.

This isn't about any specific game or games. It's about conspiring to willfully violate a rule, regardless of what anyone thinks of the rule. The investigation does leave a lot to be desired but if enough guilt was determined to earn a punishment then they should hammer them.

Even so, they could at least prove it!

They want to fix it..get a freaking pump or have some guys guard the footballs.

Wern't the other teams using the same footballs, btw?

This isn't exactly someone corking their bat.

Hilarious. Each team uses the balls (it's been stated multiple times that they get mixed or used as asked), thus no advantage for either side and Arch is going Lifetime on everyone.

A Wells Report that I perused and stated nothing empirical and mostly used words like "probably" or "likely" has one of the hardest sentences laid down and someone here uses statements like conspiracy theory and is trying to justify it.

We don't know that pine tar doesn't create a huge advantage either.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished at all. But this is a $1,000 punishment for a $1 crime.

would you feel the same way if you learned the Royals pitching staff used doctored balls against us in the playoffs last year?

would you feel the same way if you learned the Royals pitching staff used doctored balls against us in the playoffs last year?

Once again, I'm not saying their shouldn't be a punishment. But if a couple of ball boys are scuffing balls for a pitcher I'm not going to say the pitcher deserves a 40 game suspension and the totals shouldn't get to sign any FA this of season.

But then again I don't recall seeing the board calling for tougher punishment when Donnelly and the Angels got caught cheating.

I did think the A-Rod one season suspension was too long and he was presumably cheating against the Angels.

It would be one thing if this was a far reaching conspiracy but it was two glorified ball boys and Tom Brady creating a minor advantage. In baseball we have literally had players leave the dugout to break into the umpires locker to remove evidence. Save your outrage for that.

Edited by eaterfan

Goodell's major fail in all of this is his lack of a true penalty system. If you do this, your penalty is this. One needs to be outlined. Only multiple offenders should be penalized different from the system on a case by case basis.

Also, it sounds like Kraft and Goodell are no longer best buds because of this whole scenario. Kraft could start a plan to remove Goodell from his position.

Once again, I'm not saying their shouldn't be a punishment. But if a couple of ball boys are scuffing balls for a pitcher I'm not going to say the pitcher deserves a 40 game suspension and the totals shouldn't get to sign any FA this of season.

But then again I don't recall seeing the board calling for tougher punishment when Donnelly and the Angels got caught cheating.

I did think the A-Rod one season suspension was too long and he was presumably cheating against the Angels.

It would be one thing if this was a far reaching conspiracy but it was two glorified ball boys and Tom Brady creating a minor advantage. In baseball we have literally had players leave the dugout to break into the umpires locker to remove evidence. Save your outrage for that.

I'm not outraged in the least. I just think people who cheat should pay the consequences.  I agree that ARod's suspension was too long.  

Also, why do i have to pick one or the other? I hate all cheaters. 

From what I've read, the severity of the suspension was mostly because of the Pats' refusal to cooperate with the investigation, and less so for the deflating itself. Which leads me to believe one of two things: the Pats let their arrogance get in the way of common sense, or they were hiding something much worse than deflating balls and decided that withholding information would result in a lesser punishment. If it's the former, they brought this upon themselves. Plenty of prior examples have taught us that coming clean is better than digging your feet in and continuing to deny (Pettitte vs. Clemens). To use an example from another board I read, if you get pulled over for something stupid like going 5 over the limit, do you just suck it up and pay the small fine, or do you compound the issue by spitting in the cop's face and resisting arrest? Pats are choosing the latter for some odd reason. 

Why would you self incriminate yourself though? The burden of proof is on the NFL. Apparently they wanted access to Tom Brady's cell phone. Would you give your employer access to your personal cell phone? I sure as hell wouldn't. Before it's said and done, this will most likely go to federal court and a Judge will probably dismiss the punishments. At least for Brady. I don't think teams in the NFL can really challenge much. But I'm guessing a Judge would look at all the "probablys" in the report and say it's ridiculous.

Why would you self incriminate yourself though? The burden of proof is on the NFL. Apparently they wanted access to Tom Brady's cell phone. Would you give your employer access to your personal cell phone? I sure as hell wouldn't. Before it's said and done, this will most likely go to federal court and a Judge will probably dismiss the punishments. At least for Brady. I don't think teams in the NFL can really challenge much. But I'm guessing a Judge would look at all the "probablys" in the report and say it's ridiculous.

If they weren't hiding anything more serious, there's nothing for them to worry about. And they only wanted access to the stuff on his cell phone directly related to the investigation, nothing else. So again, there might have been stuff on Brady's phone that he was worried about somehow going public that was worse than the extra 2-3 games he probably got for not giving up his phone (cheating on his wife? More serious on-field cheating?) If that's indeed the case, I don't blame him. But if it's not, what's the point? You can either take a 1 game suspension and loss of a 5th-7th round pick (my prediction of what the punishment would have been had the Pats cooperated), or you can take a harsher suspension for really no reason at all. That's a very light punishment. 

And the burden of proof really isn't really on the NFL. They can suspend with minimal proof, just like the cop in the aforementioned example can pull you over for something stupid or for no reason at all. The question is whether it's worth "fighting the man." I say in this case it isn't. 

ce04z9dueaaavc8.jpg?w=250

This typifies Patriots fans. They handcuffed themselves in the lobby of the NFL headquarters. They were later arrested.

I want to crack a joke about NFL fans in general, like the yokels that attend the NFL Draft.

But then I realize we had some numbnuts here that miserably failed in protesting the name change.

This isn't some pine tar creeping up over the limit and in plain view of the officials. This was a multi-layered conspiracy intended to hide the fact that they were altering previously checked and certified equipment. It's institutional.

So was spygate, institutional.

The Patriots got off easy. If the NFL acted like Kenesaw Landis the Super Bowl trophy would be awarded to the Seahawks, Playoff and Superbowl bonus checks would be returned to the NFL while Brady and Belichick would be banned from stepping on a football field for life. That would send a shiver through every NFL team to clean up their act.

Instead they pay the equivalent of $1 dollar in fines, lose two draft picks which they will just replace with free agents and Brady gets to bone his hot wife for another couple weeks before getting ready for the season.