• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Conger trade!

Wasn't there a poster who said this trade was a disaster?

I was against the Conger trade. I was concerned that we wouldn't have a good defensive catcher capable of dealing with Richards' wild delivery.

If Perez keeps up what we saw today well be fine

That trade may have been the best Siporo's made yet. Conger was our backup catcher and he just wasn't fitting the billet right. Backup catchers need to be defensively capable first and foremost, they need to control the run game late. Hank just didn't do this particularly well. His strength was his offense and it just didn't come around under Scioscia as we'd hoped.

Ge timing Trooeano by himself would've been a great return. That's 6 cheap years of a backend or mid rotation starter. That's a landslide of a win for the Angels.

Convincing Houston to add in Perez was a stroke of genius. Not only did they get the defensive catcher they needed, they got a kid with a great approach at the plate with upside.

I don't know who will be better between Conger and Perez, but I do know Perez makes a better backup, and getting Tropeano will end up being a steal,

A great trade.

That trade may have been the best Siporo's made yet. Conger was our backup catcher and he just wasn't fitting the billet right. Backup catchers need to be defensively capable first and foremost, they need to control the run game late. Hank just didn't do this particularly well. His strength was his offense and it just didn't come around under Scioscia as we'd hoped.

Ge timing Trooeano by himself would've been a great return. That's 6 cheap years of a backend or mid rotation starter. That's a landslide of a win for the Angels.

Convincing Houston to add in Perez was a stroke of genius. Not only did they get the defensive catcher they needed, they got a kid with a great approach at the plate with upside.

I don't know who will be better between Conger and Perez, but I do know Perez makes a better backup, and getting Tropeano will end up being a steal,

A great trade.

you don't know who will be better between Perez and Conger?

I'd be willing to make a wager

Auto-correct, and Hank Conger was a good pitch framer, he also struggled with balls in the dirt, lateral movement and had a very below average arm.  Perez, we'll see how he is at pitch framing, but we know he's better than Conger behind the dish and has a MUCH stronger arm.  The big question is will he hit?

Conger unfortunately didn't hit as much as he was capable of while he was here.  Perez doesn't need to do much with the bat in order to meet or exceed Conger's value overall.  The most important work for a catcher happens behind the plate, not in the batters box, and that's where Perez shines. 

I just don't see how anyone could dislike that trade. Conger was an average at best defensive catcher who's only calling behind the plate was his great pitch framing. He also couldn't really hit.

They traded a backup catcher with a career .655 OPS for a younger backup catcher with better overall defensive skills and a starting pitcher with pretty solid potential. How anyone could dislike this trade is beyond my rational understanding.

Edited by tdawg87

I do wonder about Houston's motive for that trade, but also say thank you.

I also would like to know what Houston was thinking in making that trade.  I couldn't believe we got a ML quality pitcher for Conger.  Never mind that we got a that pitcher and a better catcher for him.  On face value it looks like an absolute gift by the Astro's.  I am sure they had their reasons.  I sure would like to know what they were.

I also would like to know what Houston was thinking in making that trade. I couldn't believe we got a ML quality pitcher for Conger. Never mind that we got a that pitcher and a better catcher for him. On face value it looks like an absolute gift by the Astro's. I am sure they had their reasons. I sure would like to know what they were.

The Astors in the past few years have brought in a lot of front office personnel that put an emphasis on advanced statistics. They heavily favor catchers with advanced pitch framing ability, that are inexpensive, had good numbers in the minors and have yet to tap into their potential. It's a buy low opportunity with a greater possibility of a payout.

Castro was an example of this, Max Stassi too. Conger fit this mold perfectly.

The Astros were agreeable to a Conger-Tropeano deal because Houston as an organization has higher upside arms they're expecting to come up and Tropeano would be squeezed out in that case.

So that part if the deal makes sense for them. The Angels couldn't do it because it would deplete their catching depth, so they requested Carlos Perez. Perez would be buried 4th or 5th on Houston's depth chart following the Conger trade, so adding him into the deal meant nothing to them.

But to the Angels, getting Perez meant a great deal. We don't know where Perez's pitch framing ability is at yet. What we do know is that he communicates exceedingly well with the pitching staff and that pitchers have shown a willingness and five a preference to throw to him. We know he passes every eye test defensively.

Offensively, when he was signed he was seen as a future superstar with power and discipline. The power never developed, but the discipline did. Lots of contact, but not much meaningful contact.

There's been talk that he made a transformation in the Winter Leagues and that it's carried over to AAA. Of course I'm skeptical because of the environment, but we're going to find out this season if it's true.

If it is, he 'll be the Angels starting catcher for years to come. If not he'll be an excellent platoon catcher for the Angels for years to come.