• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

In just one game

Carlos Perez equaled the number of extra base hits and RBI's that our catchers had produced all season through 26 games.  In just one game he already has half of the total bases that was produced by the catcher position in the first 26 games.

In no way am I saying that Carlos Perez is the answer.  It is just crazy to realize how putrid our catchers have been this year.  

What I really think is important is that it looks like Carlos has a great DEFENSIVE presence behind the plate. The fact that he actually knows how to hit a baseball, and has a little pop as well, is just icing on the cake. I really liked his swings, but I especially liked his catching behind the plate. Dude looked super confident, and not even fazed that it was his first big league game.

Good for him, good for us.

What I really think is important is that it looks like Carlos has a great DEFENSIVE presence behind the plate. The fact that he actually knows how to hit a baseball, and has a little pop as well, is just icing on the cake. I really liked his swings, but I especially liked his catching behind the plate. Dude looked super confident, and not even fazed that it was his first big league game.

Good for him, good for us.

His defensive showing in one game likely earned him a spot in MS's mental rolodex.  People can talk offense all they want, Scioscia has always been a defense first guy at catcher.  

Also Props to Dipoto for making the move sooner rather than later.   This Conger trade may end up looking better than the Trumbo trade before it's all said and done.

His defensive showing in one game likely earned him a spot in MS's mental rolodex.  People can talk offense all they want, Scioscia has always been a defense first guy at catcher.  

Also Props to Dipoto for making the move sooner rather than later.   This Conger trade may end up looking better than the Trumbo trade before it's all said and done.

This!

Carlos Perez equaled the number of extra base hits and RBI's that our catchers had produced all season through 26 games.  In just one game he already has half of the total bases that was produced by the catcher position in the first 26 games.

In no way am I saying that Carlos Perez is the answer.  It is just crazy to realize how putrid our catchers have been this year.  

Crazy!

+1

Hopefully MS gives him a shot and doesn't play games with his head. Like benching him after a big game.

....This Conger trade may end up looking better than the Trumbo trade before it's all said and done....

Have to wait and see how strong Skaggs comes back....but if Perez is a Benji type for 7/8 years (pump the brakes after one game but he has been very good since winter ball, not just last night) and Tropeano settles in is a middle to back end of the rotation guy, that would be a steal of a deal....

To be honest, Scioscia isn't wrong by putting defense first at catcher. If your catcher can't frame pitches, it's costs strikes, outs and eventually runs. If they can't keep the ball in front if them, that advanced runners and costs runs. If they can't control the run game, that'll cost runs too.

Sure, a catcher can create runs with their bat, but not as many as they can cost behind the dish.

I would've been fine with Mathis/Napoli if Mathis was better at controlling the run game and Napoli was worse at blocking pitches. Fact was we had no defensive presence regardless.

But with Perez, he brings a great defensive profile to the table. Yeah, his bat won the game, but nine times out of ten, his defensive ability behind the plate is going to make the difference.

He's the perfect platoon partner once Iannetta starts hitting. Until that time comes, play him everyday.