• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shouldn't the Angels be going all in while they have Mike Trout?

Again, signing guys 32 and over doesn't constitute as doing your best. I realize a lot of players don't hit FA until their 30's but why sign them to long term deals? Why not trade for younger players during their prime? Vernon Wells was 32 when they traded for him. Maybe that was all on Arte but he could have gotten a younger hitter. I just really don't want Trouts prime years going to waste.

Welcome to the post-steroid era where free agents aren't all that and teams are loathe to trade younger players.

Then the farm system was so empty that they ended up sucking in 05-06-07.

There is something about an articulate journalist using the term sucking, grammatically correct of course, in a sentence that makes me smile a bit.

Unlike some here I'm relatively content with Arte, Dipoto, and Scioscia.  We won 98 games last year and most runs scored in MLB as has been said.  Our best players are Trout and Richards which tells me our farm system is producing players.

I think Arte has gone all in for us fans.  He signed CJ, Pujols, and Hamilton for us the fans.  The results have been mixed with CJ and Pujols.  Obviously Hamilton was a disaster.  I'd prefer if Arte left the baseball decisions for Dipoto and the front office.  But as a fan I appreciate the effort.  Would you prefer to have the owner of the Marlins or another low budget team?

I guess it depends how you define the phrase "all in."  In a sense Dipoto is going all in - maybe not for 2015; But he's trying to build a consistent contender.  If you look at the Giants a lot of their success is due to starting pitchers Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner, and 1 star player Posey.  It appears Dipoto is trying to build young starting pitching depth with Richards, Shoemaker, Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano, etc.  That's probably a good place to start, paired with 1 star player Trout.

I've been a Scioscia critic like many here.  Before we questioned his lineup tinkering.  Now we question his steady lineups.  I don't like how he manages catchers (Napoli/Mathis, etc.)  Overall, he's done a pretty good job.  He's probably the best manager the Angels have ever had.  Granted it was a long time ago, but he led us to our first and only world series championship.  He's had a lot of winning seasons and postseason appearances.  I liked how he handled the Hamilton situation.  He never lost his cool, and was supportive to the player given the possibility the FO might bring him back.  Once Hamilton was traded he gave a straightforward assessment.

Overall, I'd like the Owner and GM to remain in place.  I'd like to see how this season plays out before I consider looking at the Manager position.

Basically the players we have here need to improve their performance.  That's their job to do.  I'm ok with the FO making some modest moves to upgrade the team in season like calling up Carlos Perez, etc.

Again, signing guys 32 and over doesn't constitute as doing your best. I realize a lot of players don't hit FA until their 30's but why sign them to long term deals? Why not trade for younger players during their prime? Vernon Wells was 32 when they traded for him. Maybe that was all on Arte but he could have gotten a younger hitter. I just really don't want Trouts prime years going to waste.

What prospects have we had the last three or four years that would be so enticing that a major league baseball team would trade one of their "young" impact guys?  And who are probably under cost control?

I agree with a lot of what you stated.  Before people bash on Arte and hope "he is gone" please remember what it was like for the Angels while Jackie Autry ran the team. Arte has tried to win.  He has spent a lot of money and even three away literally over a hundred million dollars releasing players with guaranteed contracts but not getting the job done.  

I can you say Scioscia was "probably" the best manager the franchise has had.  Please tell me who should be considered a better manager in Angel history.  No one comes close to the accomplishments under Scioscia.  You can hate his individual decisions but for long term success Scioscia has been outstanding.  I know many hate hearing this, but Sosh in on his way to a Hall of Fame managerial career. 

Good luck finding a marquee FA willing to sign a short term deal.    As far as trades go, the Angels have traded for four SPs, a catcher and a 3B, all but Santiago were 24 or younger.   Pretty Sure Skaggs, Santago, Tropeano and Heaney are intended to help Mike Trout win games as are Perez and Kubitza.  

Don't look now but the team is doing exactly what you want them to to.   

Edited by Inside Pitch

I don't really understand this thread or the whole Angels are only signing guys over 30. In order to get younger guys out there you have to bring them up through your system. One of the reasons the Angels were so successful in the 2000s was because their prospects were panning out. We had a lot of homegrown players that made impacts at the Major League level. In the last five years, how many positional players have we had come up and are still on the roster? Trout, Calhoun, and Navarro? Guess we could throw in Trumbo for shits and giggles but that is still only 4 guys in 5 years. That's not very good. All the other guys brought up have flamed out.

When it comes to the pitching staff, outside of Shoemaker, Morin, and Richards, everyone else in the last 5 years was brought in here by Dipoto.

Right, but that was because we had Tony Reagins as GM. The reason I really don't want to Dipoto to be fired is that has done so much to get that young pitching talent that is able to contribute. As someone else mentioned, our future rotation would be incredibly thin had he not gone out and traded for Skaggs, Santiago, Heaney, Tropeano, and drafted Newcomb. Now, it has the potential to be a  strength in the next several years.

I agree that the organization hasn't developed many positional players, but again that is more on Reagins, whose tenure left the club with very little in the pitching department, so Dipoto correctly saw the need to focus of pitching while we had some nice veteran bats on the major league level. Now, he probably needs to start shifting his focus more towards acquiring hitting help, which we have seen to an extent with the Kubitza and Perez acquisitions. Granted, he also traded for Joyce which has been a disaster so far, but that was not a long-term move.

Right, but that was because we had Tony Reagins as GM. The reason I really don't want to Dipoto to be fired is that has done so much to get that young pitching talent that is able to contribute. As someone else mentioned, our future rotation would be incredibly thin had he not gone out and traded for Skaggs, Santiago, Heaney, Tropeano, and drafted Newcomb. Now, it has the potential to be a  strength in the next several years.

I agree that the organization hasn't developed many positional players, but again that is more on Reagins, whose tenure left the club with very little in the pitching department, so Dipoto correctly saw the need to focus of pitching while we had some nice veteran bats on the major league level. Now, he probably needs to start shifting his focus more towards acquiring hitting help, which we have seen to an extent with the Kubitza and Perez acquisitions. Granted, he also traded for Joyce which has been a disaster so far, but that was not a long-term move.

Reagins has a lot to do with it, but I was responding to the actual creation of the thread and why the Angels aren't all in.  The OP is saying that Trout isn't surrounded by talent and is complaining the talent we do get is over 32 and declining.  But unfortunately that is what Dipoto has to do.  There is no talent in the system so he has to go out and buy free agents, who are usually 32 and declining.  There is no young talent out there to be had in free agency and the Angels haven't produced anyone from their system to help that.  But the failures of the system over the last 5-7 years can be an entire thread of it's own.

Edited by Chimi

Go through the thread and try to find your reply to this post:

I already recognized that. That 98 win season was followed by getting swept do in large part to an inability to score runs. How about the first 2 years Trout was here?

Realize it isn't there. Scroll towards the bottom of the page right above the shoutbox. Realize what you've done.

Trade for superstars under 30 (other teams love to trade away those guys), or, if you must, sign superstars over 30 for one or two years....

Folks, I think someone just unlocked the key to winning baseball!!

and the liquor cabinet

so the premise is that 

162 games during the regular season don't matter but 3 playoff games and 25 games this year so far do.

We need to surround Trout with as much talent as possible so we should trade for players in their prime or sign superstar free agents to short term deals.  

We need to address the offense even though we are #1 in combined offensive WAR for the last 4 years.  

here is my take on how to fix the team for this year.  

get the players to perform at a level they are capable.  add a pen arm.  fix Weaver or let someone else take his spot in the rotation.  get a legit OFer.  

going forward, they need to keep doing what they are doing.  stockpiling organizational currency and using it to fill gaps.  

That's the beauty of having a superstar who's only 23 years old. Do I wish the Angels had more young superstar talent around Trout? Of course I do but Dipoto's had to work very hard just to get the farm system to a "meh" level. I think there's a pretty rock solid foundation to this team, though. Trout, Calhoun, Richards, Giavotella, Perez, Newcomb, Heaney, and Tropeano is a pretty good place to start, have a couple of veterans sprinkled in there with Pujols, Aybar, and Street. I wanna start seeing the young guys given opportunities (namely Perez, Bandy, Tropeano, Heaney, Bedrosian, and Kubitza) and some of the older players get shown the door. This team could be reeeeeeeeeally good in 2-3 years (and that's still with an age 25-26 Mike Trout). 

Trout was surrounded by good enough players last year that resulted in us leading mlb in runs scored (and wins)

i love AW

I hope something resembling that 2014 offense starts showing up soon.

Back on thread topic, I like the direction the org is taking since after signing Hackilton.

Now please, NO MORE aging superstars at stratospheric salary levels, at least until Pujols' contract is almost up

Edited by Angel Oracle