• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Peter Bourjos

The St. Louis Cardinals are 18-6, tying a franchise record for best start to a season. Peter Bourjos has been an important part of it.

Just this week:

Hit a game tying triple, then scored the go-ahead run on an infield grounder. In the same game, he made a spectacular catch to rob Chase Utley of a run-scoring double.

Broke up a no-hitter by Francisco Liriano in the 6th inning and scored the tying run. Cardinals won in 11.

Yesterday, in a nine pitch at-bat, hit a game tying single in the bottom of the 12th inning. Cardinals won it in 14.

.318/.375/.455

I'm not saying anything about the trade. I'm just happy for Peter. He's a good kid and I'm glad he's helping them win. It didn't look that way coming out of spring training.

Ok. Yeah I wish Bourjos the best too. Just leery of people trying to drag up every bad thing they can right now, with the state of the team looking pretty shitty.

Ok. Yeah I wish Bourjos the best too. Just leery of people trying to drag up every bad thing they can right now, with the state of the team looking pretty shitty.

Well, Mike Matheny does tend to get the best out of his players and is known as a great motivator. But that discussion is for another thread.

stop. It was a sound decision at the time and even in hindsight it seems OK. 

Wrong and wrong.....Bourjos needed to be traded but not for a so-so 3bman and a less than so-so reliever....and Grichuk is a good prospect, could be the best piece in the deal...bad deal then and a bad deal now...

Sure couldn't use a hitter or left fielder like him on our team right now *rolls eyes*

Sound decision? Eff that! It was a dumb decision and Peter was most definitely underused by Scioscia and our organization.

I'm glad Gorgeous Bourjos keeps rockin' and rolling, especially with the Cardinals. Great guy to have on a ballclub, and he certainly deserves better than how the Angels are playing.

He posted an OPS+ of 78 last year and while he's had success this year it's over a whopping 22 at bats.  For the record I like Peter, he was one of the few bright spots at times on the Angels and played like he cared but no one could have predicted the Hamilton situation playing out like it did and the team needing another OF'er in 2015.  The Angels needed a 3B and they traded from a place of strength to get one.  PB was overvalued a bit much by some on here and the combo of him and Grichuk wasn't going to bring in a bigger haul to fill the Angels needs.        

He posted an OPS+ of 78 last year and while he's had success this year it's over a whopping 22 at bats.  For the record I like Peter, he was one of the few bright spots at times on the Angels and played like he cared but no one could have predicted the Hamilton situation playing out like it did and the team needing another OF'er in 2015.  The Angels needed a 3B and they traded from a place of strength to get one.  PB was overvalued a bit much by some on here and the combo of him and Grichuk wasn't going to bring in a bigger haul to fill the Angels needs.        

i'm generally agreeing with you, except for the part about hamilton. that was easily predictable, and i think many many people actually did predict that it would end in flames.

Well, Mike Matheny does tend to get the best out of his players and is known as a great motivator. But that discussion is for another thread.

Whenever you start that thread, which I presume will discuss the various qualities a manager can have, please give me a head's up. I will definitely be sure to bring up the fact that Mike Scioscia is currently on track to make the Hall of Fame as a manager.

I watch a lot of Cardinal games, and I have just come to the conclusion that Peter just isn't a good baseball player. He alright with the glove and has great speed (that doesn't translate to steals, btw), but is just clueless at the plate. He'll be the 5th OF/ late inning defensive sub once again when Grichuk gets back. Whatever problem the Angels may be having right now, having Bourjos back wouldn't solve any of them.  

Bourjos had some injuries which may have affected him at the plate. He's healthy again, and who knows if he could make a significant improvement this year? He already has, though in a limited sample size.

Nevertheless, his speed and defensive prowess have helped him play a valuable role on this Cardinals team. It fits right in with the style of play Matheny likes.

On a related point, when's the last time a team swept a series with three extra-inning one-run games? They don't seem to be missing Wainwright yet.

They tried to give him the starting CF job out of spring training last year, and he completely and utterly choked. Everyone notices the athleticism and natural gifts, but this is ain't a track meet, and the nuances of what make a good baseball player, well, I don't think Peter has it. It probably wouldn't take much to get him off the roster in a trade, I would bet. He will be arb eligible after this year, I think, so he could be a non-tender target this offseason if he isn't traded before.

The player that everyone in STL loves is Grichuk. I personally don't get that one either, as I see him a pretty darn good 4th OF, but not an everyday player. But many disagree, and if Heyward keeps sucking, Grichuk is going to see plenty of playing time this summer, particularly vs lefties,  so we may find out.

In terms of Waino, I think the Cards will cruise to the division or a WC this year even w/o him, but it's in the playoffs where you really miss an Ace/Horse like that.

Edited by 405z06

I watch a lot of Cardinal games, and I have just come to the conclusion that Peter just isn't a good baseball player. He alright with the glove and has great speed (that doesn't translate to steals, btw), but is just clueless at the plate. He'll be the 5th OF/ late inning defensive sub once again when Grichuk gets back. Whatever problem the Angels may be having right now, having Bourjos back wouldn't solve any of them.  

I won't argue with most of your post except "He alright with the glove". His glove, speed and arm displaced Mike Trout from centerfield. Thats saying something!

Whenever he got consistent playing time he produced at the plate. With the Angels he did well his first year. He was platoon ed and slumped his s we conduct year with inconsistent ABs. His last year with the he was batting over 300. Got hurt and slumped with inconsistent playing time in the second half. He never got consistent playing time in St. Louis. He did start last year but he was also platoon ed then.

that said i believe it was a good trade for the Angels. Both Freese and Salas helped last year. And i special u late thatTrout's agent insisted on him playing CF. We may not have gotten the extension had we kept PB.

I want to be diplomatic about this because I really like Peter Bourjos and enjoy watching him.  He had the starting CF job to lose last year and he did - or you could say Jon Jay won it back - or both.  But last year Peter could not produce at the plate.  He has very recently received more playing time and the broadcasters talk as if he's working on making changes to his approach etc.

The fact is that David Freese was a big part of LAA success in 2014 and will likely be impactful this year too.  Peter was of minimal impact for STL last year and will likely be a bit more impactful this year but I suspect it's because he's now recognizing his role and probably embracing it ... just my opinion.

I just posted in my Scorecards and Summaries thread the pics and links - so if anyone is feeling like LAA "lost" the Freese-Bourjos trade - I recommend you take a look.

Again - not meaing to disparage Peter and hope he stays a Cardinal and/or has a solid career but contributions-wise ... Freese-Bourjos aren't even close.

Summaries-05-03-15-LAA-450-141.png

Summaries-05-03-15-STL-450-155.png

I won't argue with most of your post except "He alright with the glove". His glove, speed and arm displaced Mike Trout from centerfield. Thats saying something!

beat me to it.

Bourjos leaves a lot to be desired offensively, but to say his defense is anything but stellar is wrong. That kid can field

Im a bourjos fan but it was a good trade. Yes, we could use him right now, but if hamilton hadnt pulled his bullshit, bourjos wouldnt be more than cowgill right now and wed still be rolling out callaspo or someone at 3rd.

Freese (pre hamilton) is worth more to this team than bourjos. But i wish pbj luck, always liked him when he was here