• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jered Weaver: "I'm pretty much serving BP up there"

Weav's done as an MLB starter. It's hard to let go because of how good he's been and how much he's meant to the Angels and the fans and the other way around.

But it doesn't change the fact that beloved as he may be, he doesn't belong in the rotation anymore. If the Angels want to win the West, they'll need Weaver out and Tropeano in. Keep Weav on in somewhat of a coaching and team leader capacity, but keep him off the mound in anything less than a blowout.

Over.300 BAA, under 4.0 K/9, over 2.0 HR/9 and opponents slugging over .500 against him. Its not looking good for Weaver right now, no doubt about that. Im not ready to admit it just yet, but its looking like this could be it for him.

A veteran with as much success as he has had in his career you don't write off after one month.  He gets at least two more months before you start to severely restrict his involvement.  Maybe this year is a write off for this team.  Freese, Iannetta and Aybar are likely gone by, or shortly after year end.  If we are out of it by the All Star break, then maybe we start to process in all of the possible talent in AAA to access where we have real holes.

Next up - Seattle. 

A veteran with as much success as he has had in his career you don't write off after one month.  He gets at least two more months before you start to severely restrict his involvement.  Maybe this year is a write off for this team.  Freese, Iannetta and Aybar are likely gone by, or shortly after year end.  If we are out of it by the All Star break, then maybe we start to process in all of the possible talent in AAA to access where we have real holes.

Hello?

His velocity has been decreasing for some time.  Not just one month. 

Problem is that it's dropped a whopping 3 MPH from last year to this year. He'll definitely have a long leash but it's tough to see him overcoming things this time. Giants offense isn't even good and he still got rocked. He's giving up a ton of hits and HR's and isn't striking anybody out.

And he has shown to be extremely effective with the decreasing velocity. Weaver has earned himself a long leash.

He's reached a point where he can't possibly lose any more velocity and remain effective.

This is the speed Greg Maddux was throwing when he retired at age 42. 

If it's just a case of Weaver working things out, then maybe he'd accept an assignment to AA (not Salt Lake because I don't think a trip to the PCL would do him any favors). We really can't afford to let him "work things out" while putting the big league team into a hole every five days when we have guys who can probably provide better performances in the minors now.

Weaver has earned the benefit of doubt. However I am fearful Scotty is right.

I want to give weaver the benefit of the doubt. I think he's a good dude and refreshingly different than a lot of pro players.

Just going off the results and how comfortable batters look when he pitches, he has to make some kind of adjustment.

He will be a regular in the rotation until the end of 2016 regardless of performance. He's a veteran making $20M a year and was the Angels' best pitcher for years. There is no way they demote him to the pen or DFA him.

If he doesn't improve then he will not pitch in the rotation after this season regardless of how much he is paid. He will have a long leash, longer than anyone else, but not a two year leash like this. Not only that you know this is killing him, he might retire rather than go out like this for an extended period of time.

He will be a regular in the rotation until the end of 2016 regardless of performance. He's a veteran making $20M a year and was the Angels' best pitcher for years. There is no way they demote him to the pen or DFA him.

if he's not able to make an adjustment or find some mph, then i wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him retire and come back to the angels in the FO, after a year most likely. he's proven that money is not his motivating factor.

I think Stradling said it well. Jered will lose his spot in the rotation at some point this year if he keeps this up, but he'll be given a long leash. But I don't see him getting more than 12-15 starts or so at this level of pitching, not if the Angels are serious about contending.

As for next year, maybe he sticks around as a long-man. He'll get his salary but won't be dumped or traded. Maybe he works out some kind of player-coach thing with the Angels.

Next up - Seattle. 

As bb said, his drop in velocity has been a whopping 3 MPH. It's gone from a steady decline to an outright free-fall. And his average FB speed last season was already concerning, leading him to a league average ERA+.

I agree thought that he will get a longer leash simply because of who he is and what he has done. As much as I want to think about the team more than individuals, I do feel that Weaver has earned that, at the very least.

I wonder if he was in the pen and knew he was only in for one inning if his stuff and velocity would be better. He amazed me with his ability to still dominate while throwing 86, but at 82 even a well placed pitch is very hitable. A missed location is almost guaranteed to be crushed. Weaver deserves so much respect from us. He punked borass more than once to be and then stay an angel.

if he's not able to make an adjustment or find some mph, then i wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him retire and come back to the angels in the FO, after a year most likely. he's proven that money is not his motivating factor.

Weaver strikes me as the kind of guy who would go to the club and tell them that it's over rather than just hang around and collect a paycheck, knowing that he isn't helping the team. His candid statements about his performance tell you that he isn't under any kind of delusion about how things are going.