• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A-Rod ties Willie Mays

Nobody thinks Wilt is the greatest of all time. He's never part of the discussion.

Now Bill Russell was just as dominant and won many titles.

There were amazing HOFs playing when Ruth played. It's silly to say that Bonds played in tougher conditions with small parks to hit HRs in and expanded leagues with watered down pitching.

Bonds was a great player. But how many rings does he have. If anything HE is the Wilt Chamberlin in your argument.

Ruth was a master pitching and hitting and won doing both.

You don't know much about baseball if you don't even consider him among the greats.

Bonds would have no record for HRs of Ruth wasn't a pitcher.

Im not going to keep arguing the same point over and over but no Bonds is not Wilt in this argument.  Bonds played in the steroid era against guys throwing heat and pitching on 4 days rest.  Not to mention he played most of his career at AT&T park, hardly an easy park to hit homers in.  He rarely got a pitch to hit and was easily the most feared hitter the game has seen, the numbers back this if you look at walks and intentional walk numbers.  But all that considered, he might get 1 pitch to hit per night and more often then not he would hit it out.  Ruth is Wilt in this argument because A) They both dominated in pre-historic times when the sport was not evolved yet, B) They both put up ridiculous numbers in an era that was not nearly as competitive

Can you imagine someone being both a pitcher and a hitter today, and dominating the way Ruth did?  Thats a joke.  It shows you just how much worse that era was compared to Bonds' era.  If you wanted to make a case for Aaron, you could.  But not Ruth.  

WAR tell you how good a player was relative to their peer at the time.  

Ruth played the same teams over and over.  Seeing the same pitchers over and over.  His era lacked integration.  But the yards were huge.  There was very little scouting and subspecialty players.  

Bonds took steroids but so did a lot of other players in his time.  Pitching was watered down but the floor was likely higher than Ruth faced.  He hit is smaller yards.  Had better equipment and training.  etc.  

etc. etc.

the comparison is futile.  everyone has their opinion.  

personally, I consider Mays the best all around player and Williams the best hitter.  Williams lost 25-30 WAR by going to WAR.  yep.  I went there.  

we may not see a roided up monster for awhile, but players still use a lot of ped, make no mistake. guys haven't stopped altogether because of "testing". there's a reason the biggest suspension extravaganza in history (biogen) was the result of zero popped tests. the only ones who get caught through "tests" are either stupid, arrogant, or both.

since testing is meaningless, i'm against it completely. if they're not going to hold players accountable, then just get rid of the PED rule.

i think baseball was more fun with roids, actually.

As fun as the offense explosions are, I think I prefer games that end 3-2, 4-3 or even 5-4.

A balance of clutch hitting, solid pitching, base running, and defense....call me a purist I guess.

Obviously I erred forgetting to put Williams in the next group after Ruth and Mays. Bonds is in that group as well.

More Ruth: who held for 46 years the WS scoreless innings record that Whitey Ford broke in 1964? Yep....Ruth

Possibly the best lefty pitcher in MLB by the late 1910s, and then revolutionized the power bat after that.......nothing more needs to be said.

Edited by Angel Oracle

bonds's head was 2X as big as it should have been for about 15 years, and it looked like he swallowed a pumpkin.

the idea that he was only juicing for some small fraction of his career is pretty hilarious.

If you want to see a huge difference, watch the end of Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS. It was Bonds' last game for the Pirates, and he is shown getting up from one knee to walk off the field after Francisco Cabrera's game winning single. Compare his physique then to his first year in San Francisco and every year that followed. I told a coworker the first year he was in SF that he was using steroids. The phenomenon you are talking about is called moon face, and pretty much everyone who uses Prednisone (a prescription steroid) for any length of time gets it. Other steroids have similar mechanisms.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

1. Wilt is often in the discussion of the best players of all time

2. Russell wasn't even close to being as dominant as Wilt.

3. Wilt pulled like no other

The lack of rings hurts wilt. I'm a big fan of his. Russell racked up the titles. Yes not as dominant but many consider him to be better because of the jewelry.

And I know wilt didn't have the supporting cast.

Also don't forget the Yankees wanted to void his contract and they basically threw him under the bus to the media. His own GM said he needed to shut up in the media. Oh and they also refuse to pay him his bonus for hitting 660.

Could have been worse.  They could have released him out of frustration without an explanation, only to open up a spot for a garbage player like Matt Joyce.

Also don't forget the Yankees wanted to void his contract and they basically threw him under the bus to the media. His own GM said he needed to shut up in the media. Oh and they also refuse to pay him his bonus for hitting 660.

You do realize that everything you said is meaningless ... it's just mindless dribble(gossip). Winning is really all that matters in the end.

You do realize that everything you said is meaningless ... it's just mindless dribble(gossip). Winning is really all that matters in the end.[/quote

Hey Mr. Vernacular, the word you're trying to use is drivel not dribble. But thanks for trying to incorrectly school us on the meaning of the wrong word, used incorrectly.

It must suck to be the fan of a team that at least views itself above this. I guess I'm not a win at all costs type of fan.

Strad, I think an outsider might view both clubs, and their respective owners very similar. The Angels are very much like the Yankees, except they are 26 rings short. Big money contracts, one after the other, and an owner that rules with an iron fist.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's a business and both franchises are enormously successful. The Angels aren't Little Red Riding Hood anymore.

Edited by SOTO

I don't see there being much difference between the Yankees contempt for Arod and Arte's same feelings towards Hamilton. If Hamilton had been healthy and productive, and came back after the arbitrator ruled he wouldn't be suspended, all probably would have been muted. Notice I didn't say forgotten.

The six mil bonus was fairly clear - it was a marketing bonus surrounding the milestone home run. Obviously their stance, right or wrong, is that it couldn't be marketed. Seems somewhere true.

Arod hasn't even put up a stink about it. The union will likely grieve on his behalf, but he's being quiet and just trying to keep up - which by season's end, probably won't.

• 3 weeks later...