• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gym Thread: Bodybuilding - Cardio - Weight Loss

Awesome, MT!

Through work, my wife and I both get $200 a year to spend on fitness equipment/gym membership.  This year we bought a pair of those Bowflex 5-52.5lb dumbells.  I had a full set and they just took up a lot of space in our game/exercise room.  So far I think they are really nice.  Love not having one set instead of 6.

My wife also bought a new Fitbit with the remaining we had.  I am still not sold on these fitness trackers.

38 pounds in three months is some serious shit. Just eating better or throwing some workouts in there, MT? Good job dude.

Nate, be careful with setting those adjustable dumbbells down. I had a set of those years ago and one of the dumbbells locked up.....like the internal pin got jammed.

The Fitbits, and all the wrist trackers, are inaccurate. Was interested in one and through doing research and seeing the analysis, they all seem to be quite a bit off. The chest strap ones are good. 

I think for most people a fitbit or similar tracker helps because it reminds you that you need to move more.  I sit in front of a computer screen for a living and when I get busy I can lose track of time.  I go to the gym mid-day 4-5 days during the week but sitting for hours at a time isn't good for multiple reasons.  Having a fitbit helps remind me to take breaks and go for walks which helps clear my head.  It's not the end all be all but it's part of the move more and eat less equation.  

Good to know.  I was hesitant in buying them because when I looked at them a few years ago a lot of the reviews said that they tend to break.  Reading the reviews on the newer revisions, it seems like they fixed a lot of the durability issues.  In the end, we didn't pay anything for them so if they break then I still have my old set.

I had been in shape most of my life until 2013, when I got up to 207 lbs, which on a 5'8" frame is pushing it.  Started doing general weightlifting, P90X, and Tabata exercises and have been wavering between 172 - 177 on any given day.   Still trying to get below 170 but its a pain in the ass when there is no metabolism to speak of at 43.  

• 4 weeks later...

No, no, you're doing it right.

I like when this thread gets bumped. Been meal prepping since December and doing well....shit man, just having a couple drinks on the weekend quickly derails progress in your mid 30s. But getting back in the saddle. Looking to sign up at a mma gym that is catty-corner to me, which happens to be a pretty big one. Kind of excited to spend a grand because it's worth it. It's going to require Spartacus before going in because they do classes that are brutal.

But good job Poozy, beast at the gym and wear your dick out until you're bored of it.

Looking to drop about 15 lbs by the summertime, in preparation for a trip to Europe.

Had good luck in the past with low-carb + monitoring calories, walking 2-3 miles everyday, and eventually working in some mild resistance training to build back some stamina.

No booze this month, feel better already.

No sugar, no carbs. Kicking booze will drop you 10lbs...depending on how you drink.

You got it though. Mixed with no carbs (carbs are in everything, even vegetables) it comes down to calories in versus calories burned. No sugar/carbs just means the gut goes away as it ****s with your cortisol levels.

One thing that I've been messing with is potassium and also reducing sodium intake (high blood pressure). Potassium counter acts sodium and watch the seasonings with the meal prep. I take a potassium pill a day.

Looking to drop about 15 lbs by the summertime, in preparation for a trip to Europe.

Had good luck in the past with low-carb + monitoring calories, walking 2-3 miles everyday, and eventually working in some mild resistance training to build back some stamina.

No booze this month, feel better already.

Do you have a cheese addiction?  What about ice cream?  Do you drink a lot of milk as you were probably raised to do?

I dropped the cheese and milk to see if my acid reflux symptoms would go away.  They did!  No other changes and I was down 10 pounds in one month.  A year or two earlier, I also cut out 90% of the soda I used to drink, replacing it with iced tea.  I barely ever drink alcohol, so that wasn't a problem.  I've been holding 180 to 185 for the past year. 

You might benefit from increasing your walking to walking/jogging and doing 4-5 miles each time, but not everyday.  I love the rain but these recent storms really screw up my normal routine.  The trails I usually run on are currently under five to ten feet of water right now.

No sugar, no carbs. Kicking booze will drop you 10lbs...depending on how you drink.

You got it though. Mixed with no carbs (carbs are in everything, even vegetables) it comes down to calories in versus calories burned. No sugar/carbs just means the gut goes away as it ****s with your cortisol levels.

One thing that I've been messing with is potassium and also reducing sodium intake (high blood pressure). Potassium counter acts sodium and watch the seasonings with the meal prep. I take a potassium pill a day.

I've always bought Morton LITE SALT Mixture because I remember my grandparents using it 30 years ago.  Advertised as having 50% less sodium.

Serving Size is 1/4 tsp with:

Sodium 290 mg  (12% DV)

Potassium 350 mg (10% DV)

Does this accomplish the same thing as your potassium supplements?

lite-salt-mixture-eleven-ounce-shaker.pn

Do you have a cheese addiction?  What about ice cream?  Do you drink a lot of milk as you were probably raised to do?

I dropped the cheese and milk to see if my acid reflux symptoms would go away.  They did!  No other changes and I was down 10 pounds in one month.  A year or two earlier, I also cut out 90% of the soda I used to drink, replacing it with iced tea.  I barely ever drink alcohol, so that wasn't a problem.  I've been holding 180 to 185 for the past year. 

You might benefit from increasing your walking to walking/jogging and doing 4-5 miles each time, but not everyday.  I love the rain but these recent storms really screw up my normal routine.  The trails I usually run on are currently under five to ten feet of water right now.

Not a big dairy guy, just milk with coffee (which is an everyday thing) and the occasional sprinkle of cheese on an omelette. I also rarely drink soda or chow on desserts, so my refined sugar intake is ok.

The summer of 2014 is when I lost all my weight, going from 200 to 145-150. Granted I look svelte at 150, but I'm not a muscular guy, so it's proportionate to my frame size.

To get there, I started with P90X and running for about 4-6 weeks, but it was impossible to keep up with, and it was killing me. After switching over to walking and light weights, I got the same results or better.

Most of my weight loss, however, I believe came from maintaining a low carb, low sugar, low bad stuff, high protein diet: meat, veggies, and I pound water as much as I can everyday. From time to time I'll incorporate a protein shake post-workout, or as a replacement for fruit or whatever in the morning.

I plan on aiming for about 5 miles a day this time around.

I've always been the kind of guy that could cut breads and soda and almost instantly drop ten pounds. Well, not anymore, not at 44 years old. I am pushing to lose weight by my wedding on April 30th, and it's been very slow. I know for me it's about cutting those things, not 100% but by about 90%, and doing my cardio. I have lifted weights at least twice a week for years. I'm frustrated and kind of waiting for my weight loss to catch up to my work I'm putting in.

I've always been the kind of guy that could cut breads and soda and almost instantly drop ten pounds. Well, not anymore, not at 44 years old. I am pushing to lose weight by my wedding on April 30th, and it's been very slow. I know for me it's about cutting those things, not 100% but by about 90%, and doing my cardio. I have lifted weights at least twice a week for years. I'm frustrated and kind of waiting for my weight loss to catch up to my work I'm putting in.

If you honestly think you're putting in the work you need to switch it up.

Diet is 80-85% of it, so look there first. Then switch up what you do with workouts. You could be plateauing. Instead of just lifting weights do it in hiit fashion (Google hiit/high intensity interval training) and wear a heart rate monitor to track your rate and progress as almost all have calorie counters for what you burned.