• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros are for real

Less admirable than having one of the highest payrolls in baseball and the best player and making the postseason once in the past 5 seasons?

Cute, a guy points out they spent 8 years rebuilding and you respond by bringing up one postseason in 5 years.   Guess you had to slant the numbers to avoid pointing out the Angels made the postseason 4 times over those 8 years, I mean why be honest about a situation when trying to bag on the home team, right?

The Angels averaged 86 wins the previous 5 years.  In one of the seasons they failed to make the postseason they won more games than an AL Division winner and the NL Wild Card participant.   The admirable Astros, a team that told it's fan base it was going to slash payroll and tank entire seasons to try to get the first overall pick averaged 61 wins over that time, or 100 losses if you would rather look at it like that.

No doubt you would welcome Arte telling you that in an effort to be a winning organization in 2024 (maybe), the Angels would be trading off the best player in MLB and reducing the payroll to the bare minimum.  I mean, that would be truly admirable.

I admire the way they built their team, mostly through the draft and signing mid-tier type FA players instead of going for the big splash with duds like Hamilton and to a certain extent Pujols.  In fact, they got Altuve as a undrafted free agent signing.  I'm glad that the Halos took more of a similar approach this past off-season minus the signing of Matt Joyce.  But, I think most of that was due to the budget rather than a lack of desire to make a splash.  

The Angels have a grand total of three players on the 25 man roster obtained via FA.   Albert Pujols, CJ Wilson, and Smith.   Throw in Hamilton and that's 4 total.

For all the hoopla about FA signings, the Angels have for the the most part developed and traded their own players while building teams.

Little early to say that but a nice start always help confidence too.. perhaps this years Royals.

Noone was picking them for a reason.. though i also find it interesting how slow the favorite Mariners are started and how fast that bandwagon went to Houston

<p>I find it much more impressive when a team develops and builds a successful team from within and with their farm system, screw how high their draft picks are. Teams lose and go through low points, it happens. Funny how many here are on their high horse considering the angels aren't some legendary franchise.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>its much more impressive then trying to buy a championship (and failing) like Moreno.</p>

Surprised they are in 1st looking at some of these batting averages

RF Springer .205

DH Gattis .182

1b Carter .152

3b Valbuena .220

C Castro .210

SS Villar  .167

LF Rasmus .242

LF Grossman .143

C Conger .133