• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros are for real

They can pitch.  They can hit.  And, they're off to a great start.  They're young.  They're hungry.  And, with guys like Altuve and Keuchel, they'll compete for many years to come.   People may say that it's a little premature to say they're for real.  But, they're in first place as a result of beating up on all the teams in the division.  And, they're about to sweep the Padres who is a much improved team themselves.  

I admire the way they built their team, mostly through the draft and signing mid-tier type FA players instead of going for the big splash with duds like Hamilton and to a certain extent Pujols.  In fact, they got Altuve as a undrafted free agent signing.  I'm glad that the Halos took more of a similar approach this past off-season minus the signing of Matt Joyce.  But, I think most of that was due to the budget rather than a lack of desire to make a splash.  

Huston has spent the last 8 seasons at the bottom of the standings in both leagues. There is nothing admirable about taking that route to rebuilding.

Less admirable than having one of the highest payrolls in baseball and the best player and making the postseason once in the past 5 seasons?

I admire the way they built their team, mostly through the draft and signing mid-tier type FA players instead of going for the big splash with duds like Hamilton and to a certain extent Pujols.  In fact, they got Altuve as a undrafted free agent signing. 

Astros sucked and got good draft slots for a long time. You must have admired those games as much as "the way they built their team". You watched those games right?

They'll be better than last year for sure but their lineup has a ways to go. 

I don't expect them to win the division, but it wasn't all that long ago that they were derided as the worst team in baseball. Even then I saw some flashes of what might lie ahead for them. When you play a lot of kids you take your lumps, but that experience becomes invaluable later on. Reminds me a lot of the Atlanta Braves teams of the late 1980s, right before they went from national punchline to 14 straight division titles.