• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

No Need to Panic (Yet)

Consider a few things:

*The Angels are 9-11, which is as good or better than every team in the AL West other than the Astros

*Through 20 games last year, when the Angels went 98-64, they were 10-10

*The Angels are 9-11, even with their lineup hitting .226/.291/.348 and the 2nd worst OPS in the AL.

*Consider how many other teams could panic because of disappointing starts: the Red Sox (11-10), Orioles (9-10), Blue Jays (10-11), Athletics (9-12) and Mariners (9-11) just in the AL. What about the Nationals (8-13), Brewers (4-17), and Giants (9-12)?

*Finally, consider the distraction that has been Hamilgate.

In other words, the year is young. This is not to say that there aren't legitimate concerns, which I would list as follows:

*Jered Weaver. An 83.3 mph fastball just doesn't cut it. I know, he starts slow - but never this slow. It is time to accept that his upside is maybe a league average starter, and he might not even be that.

*Left field. Joyce stinks, Cowgill is a 4th outfielder at best. Grant Green? I'm hoping for a Kibutza Kall-up.

There are some minor concerns - like Shoemaker and Richards regressing. But I'm thinking Garret is just rusty, and we really shouldn't have expected Shoe to repeat last year. An ERA in the high 3.00s would be plenty good enough. Pujols looks old as dirt, but should gradually improve. Who was actually expecting better than last year? Trout has been slumping, but so what. The bullpen has been shaky, at least aside from Street & Smith, but I'm not too worried.

And some actual good news:

*Rotation: Santiago has been great. Wilson has been pretty good, and much better than last year. Tropeano looked good in his one start. Richards is back.

*Lineup: Johnny G! He's hard not to like. Trout is stealing bases again - he didn't steal his fifth base last year until the 39th game of the season, so his pace is double that of last year. Cron is looking a bit better. Calhoun! Hmm...wish I could say more, but it will improve.

Anyhow, despite a lackluster start,, I still like this team and think it will win 90+ games and take the AL West. I mean, it isn't like they're, I don't know, 6-14.

Hey, I was right last year, no?

Let me ask you: are there huge concerns at this point, as in concerns that you think lead to a likelihood that the Angels won't make the postseason?

The team is just mediocre right now.  Will it improve?  Probably.  Will the rest of the AL suck?  Hopefully.

So far, based upon everything I've seen out of this team, I'm thrilled with 9 and 11. They could easily be 4-16 or something in that neighborhood. Hitting has been atrocious, starting pitching has been hit or miss, defense has been substandard. And it's been pretty boring on top of it all. Looking forward to a brighter looking May and beyond but right now there are troubling signs.

Troubling signs...

Trout looks average on a bad day

Pujols looks average on a good day

After 1&2, a lineup dominated by old, slow, and athletically challenged players

A key pitcher with a fastball better suited for pregame BP

Starting catcher with nearly 4 times more strikeouts than hits in 17 games

Will this crew improve over time?...

Garrett is just rusty????  Am I wrong or did he just throw 7 innings of 2 earned ball?

Weaver is the biggest concern for this team.  If hes not a Major League starter anymore, and theres a chance he isnt, then this is our rotation

Rich

Shoe

Ceej

Hec

Trop

Basically, no Weaver means our season comes down to Shoemaker.  If he is the same pitcher we saw last year, we win the division easily.  If hes not, were in trouble.  

And I dont think our offense can carry us this year.  We have some really really bad hitters.

Especially after getting more into hockey the past few years and having the Ducks in the playoffs, I just haven't gotten into baseball yet this season.

These guys have been painfully dull to watch so far.  Calhoun, Richards and Trout are the only magnetizing players on this team right now.  Everyone else is either a spare part, slow/old as dirt or underperforming like crazy.  Not one aspect of the team seems to be clicking yet (maybe the bullpen?),  and they've scored 3 runs or less 12 times in the first 20 games.  Snooooooozzeee

Consider a few things:

*The Angels are 9-11, which is as good or better than every team in the AL West other than the Astros

*Through 20 games last year, when the Angels went 98-64, they were 10-10

*The Angels are 9-11, even with their lineup hitting .226/.291/.348 and the 2nd worst OPS in the AL.

*Consider how many other teams could panic because of disappointing starts: the Red Sox (11-10), Orioles (9-10), Blue Jays (10-11), Athletics (9-12) and Mariners (9-11) just in the AL. What about the Nationals (8-13), Brewers (4-17), and Giants (9-12)?

*Finally, consider the distraction that has been Hamilgate.

In other words, the year is young. This is not to say that there aren't legitimate concerns, which I would list as follows:

*Jered Weaver. An 83.3 mph fastball just doesn't cut it. I know, he starts slow - but never this slow. It is time to accept that his upside is maybe a league average starter, and he might not even be that.

*Left field. Joyce stinks, Cowgill is a 4th outfielder at best. Grant Green? I'm hoping for a Kibutza Kall-up.

There are some minor concerns - like Shoemaker and Richards regressing. But I'm thinking Garret is just rusty, and we really shouldn't have expected Shoe to repeat last year. An ERA in the high 3.00s would be plenty good enough. Pujols looks old as dirt, but should gradually improve. Who was actually expecting better than last year? Trout has been slumping, but so what. The bullpen has been shaky, at least aside from Street & Smith, but I'm not too worried.

And some actual good news:

*Rotation: Santiago has been great. Wilson has been pretty good, and much better than last year. Tropeano looked good in his one start. Richards is back.

*Lineup: Johnny G! He's hard not to like. Trout is stealing bases again - he didn't steal his fifth base last year until the 39th game of the season, so his pace is double that of last year. Cron is looking a bit better. Calhoun! Hmm...wish I could say more, but it will improve.

Anyhow, despite a lackluster start,, I still like this team and think it will win 90+ games and take the AL West. I mean, it isn't like they're, I don't know, 6-14.

WTF how is it that Nelson Cruz and Albert Pujols were born only 5 months apart in 1980 but........

2015 Cruz .333 / 10hr's / 22rbi's / 1.151ops

2015 Pujols .203 / 3hr's / 9rbi's / .654ops

WTF how is it that Nelson Cruz and Albert Pujols were born only 5 months apart in 1980 but........

2015 Cruz .333 / 10hr's / 22rbi's / 1.151ops

2015 Pujols .203 / 3hr's / 9rbi's / .654ops

that's easy

they're not the same person