• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hamilton's Texas Press Conference

The Angels signed him in the midst of an epic career, healthy, while he was apparently secure in his family situation and seemed in a good place. The Rangers just signed him with his career and life in shambles and coming off surgery. He may be cheap for them but he's theirs now for 3 years and he's a timebomb they'll have to endure. He'll probably show flashes of brilliance, but newly single, living in Texas Josh will keep Ranger fans on edge for the rest of his contract. His production during the last 2 years is just not worth looming potential disaster over the next 3.

The Angels signed him in the midst of an epic career, healthy, while he was apparently secure in his family situation and seemed in a good place. The Rangers just signed him with his career and life in shambles and coming off surgery. He may be cheap for them but he's theirs now for 3 years and he's a timebomb they'll have to endure. He'll probably show flashes of brilliance, but newly single, living in Texas Josh will keep Ranger fans on edge for the rest of his contract. His production during the last 2 years is just not worth looming potential disaster over the next 3.

That "disaster" only cost about 7 million, not much of a risk. They'll sell that much in old jerseys stored in the attic and tickets when he returns.  He'd cost them as much as Sean Burnett cost us. 

let's look at this another way. 

let's say that Arte didn't do his due diligence and signed Hamilton without any sort of protection.  Or at least what he thought was protection.  

Do we really think they would have taken the line that they did?  

The Commish was going to finish Josh's career as an Angel.  That is the line the halos took.  That was the expectation they had.  Why?  Because it had already been discussed.  

So here is the real conversation:

Arte:  'What happens if Josh violates the JDA again'

Commish:  'He will be suspended for the rest of his contract.'

Arte:  'Ok thanks.  Hey Jerry, get the deal done, we are covered'  

Perhaps there's a method to the madness with all this.

Hypothetically: There's no guarantee at all that the current Rangers manager will coddle Hamilton or deal with him the way Ron Washington did. Ten to one, his performance won't be anywhere what it was when he was at his peak, regardless. There might be more phantom injuries. Judging from his press conference today he's going to continue acting like a dick. Rangers fans were burned by him before, and from the responses today, Hamilton has an uphill battle in gaining their support. And because he's single and back in the same state as his drug suppliers, and he's now being tested for alcohol in addition to drugs, he inevitably falls off the wagon again, fails a drug test and gets suspended for a long time.

...But it's no longer in the Angels' lap, and they're no longer the ones who will be seen as unsympathetic beasts for failing to coddle the addict and let him do whatever he wants. And they can no longer be blamed for anything Hamilton does.

No doubt that Moreno just wanted Hamilton to get the **** off the team, but he might have made this deal with the suspicion that Hamilton will not be able to maintain sobriety and performance level for several more years and will end up getting suspended - which will mean that the Angels win because they'll be off the hook for his salary AND won't be seen as the villains again. 

Did anyone get the license plate of the bus that Arte threw Hamilton under?

Hamilton was a massive let down..a mistake and a mistake that is squarely on the shoulders of the owner.  Moreno, unhappy at the production from Hamilton as well as the relapse, saw an opportunity to ditch Hamilton and that's what he did.

The Angels are essentially eating the contract to get rid of him.  That tells me they were disappointed with his production more than his relapse, but used the relapse as an excuse to get out from under the contract.

Everything else is just obfuscation.

In addition to the possibility of relapse, isn't it also true that extensive drug use earlier in time (like what he did a decade back) causes the body to break down more easily?

Look at how many injuries he has had since his Texas days.

Arte should have also considered that angle.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Free agents understand that Hamilton is a unique case. Never in all of my years following baseball have I seen anything even remotely like it. Confess to the MLB office (not your team) that you used, refuse to follow your team's workout regimen, don't let them evaluate your progress, go into hiding, refuse a rehab assignment, don't communicate, and then act like the owner who trusted you was naive for signing you in the first place.

+1

It's ludicrous

99% of the time Signing FA isnt about anything other than dollars, the MLBPA makes sure of that, therefore this will not affect that if we write the biggest check.

You cant blame Arte for making the effort, to try to bring in impact players, what i do blame him for is the leaks, and the public comments that forced us to do something as stupid as we just did.

Then again after watching part of the presser i can almost understand it.. then man is a pig, totally self absorbed and oblivious to what his actions do to others around him... Narcissist, yes, sociopath, likely.   I think its telling that no comment have been made from the players regarding his comments in the presser that ive seen. 

I wont wish ill on him, karma is a bitch, let just say i wont be at all shocked when he relapses again... just irritated that Arte payed for the drugs indirectly

Hamilton was a massive let down..a mistake and a mistake that is squarely on the shoulders of the owner.  Moreno, unhappy at the production from Hamilton as well as the relapse, saw an opportunity to ditch Hamilton and that's what he did.

The Angels are essentially eating the contract to get rid of him.  That tells me they were disappointed with his production more than his relapse, but used the relapse as an excuse to get out from under the contract.

Sorry but Hamilton agreed to the contract too.  Its not squarely on the owners shoulders...he shares the burden of responsibilty but, seriously, Josh is an adult who agreed to a $125 mil GUARANTEED contract with the explicit understanding that he attempt everything in his power to duplicate what he did in TX.  Almost everything he has done since then has been counter to that and hypotheticals are irrelevant since they are not in the even in same hemisphere  of what actrually occurred.  Hamilton threw himself under the bus that Moreno was driving hoping people would say "Poor Joshy the addict.  He just can't help but go to a strip club and do everything he can to find coke and booze when things ger difficult".  Moreno was perfectly willing to shell out dough for the shitty performance he was given but he wasn't being soft on a man-child who doesn't take responsiblity for any of his actions.

It stands to reason that Arte had a long, personal, discussion with Shamelton about his problems, telling him that he was going to take his WORD AS A MAN that his drug use was behind him, and he would give his all to the team, and work his ass off, in exchange for 125 million of Arte's money.

Of course, I'm guessing here, but it also stands to reason... that Arte warned him that he would dump him like a sack of rotten garbage,  if he didn't live up to his word. Arte runs a clean house and that kinda shit isn't tolerated.

Arte could have kept him out of baseball completely, and in a way, I wish he would have.

Instead, Shamilton will need to appease a tough and skeptical fanbase in Texas, and my guess is that the pressure to produce will be more than a boy like Josh can handle. Nothing I have seen from the boy says he can still hit ML pitching.

Last guess...... Shamelton is out of baseball long before he gets his last check from Arte.  

That "disaster" only cost about 7 million, not much of a risk. They'll sell that much in old jerseys stored in the attic and tickets when he returns.  He'd cost them as much as Sean Burnett cost us. 

It's a risk if he loses games for them, becomes a distraction or embarrasses the team absolutely regardless of how much it costs.  We don't have that worry anymore, they do.

The Angels are NOT out from under the contract. If that's all they wanted they would've traded him to Texas in the off season before any of this crap went down and tanked his trade value.