• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hamilton's Texas Press Conference

Clearly the original domino of his relapse led to bigger dominos. For the Angels, apparently the relapse was the trigger. For Josh it was lack of support.

I didn't like the way the Angels handled it. I don't care about Josh Hamilton. I don't really care about Arte's money.

Good riddance at this point. Will it lead to change? That's really all that should be important to Angels fans.

I agree with your last statement SOTO, I hope the Angels never repeat this kind of situation again.  It's time to move on, and become smarter about how the team is constructed, and Arte needs to stay away and let JD do the job he was hired to do.

Did you guys see the entire press conference? I'm not sure if it's online, but they played the whole thing during our rain delay. There were several times where I was shocked by his belligerence with the reporters. Several dead-eyed "next question" and "I already answered that". One reporter asked him if he knows why the Angels FO thought he wasn't being accountable and he said he doesn't know why they would say that. At one point they asked if his acknowledgement of the "baseball town" comment was an apology to the fans, and it was like physically impossible for him to directly apologize. He also looks very pale and his burn-out eyes (which he's always had) seemed to be in full glory.

He had that whole thing on a tee to say the right things, sincerely or not, and he couldn't do it. It's really something to behold. All that said, I just have a feeling he's going to be thrive in this situation. It's just how his tiny brain works. He has to be treated like an 18 year old - where his emotional maturity was stunted. The Angels, in exchange for the huge contract, expected him to behave like an adult. 

I'm certainly not giving Josh a free pass. However, he will lose monetarily, probably about half.

Yeah, he will lose about half, but that was a decision outside of baseball, between he and his (former) wife.  He never had it all to himself anyway, she always had at least half and he had the other portion, so in some ways he will never lose it.  That's the reality of accountability in marriage, but maybe she and Josh aren't good with that kind of accountability either. 

Did you guys see the entire press conference? I'm not sure if it's online, but they played the whole thing during our rain delay. There were several times where I was shocked by his belligerence with the reporters. Several dead-eyed "next question" and "I already answered that". One reporter asked him if he knows why the Angels FO thought he wasn't being accountable and he said he doesn't know why they would say that. At one point they asked if his acknowledgement of the "baseball town" comment was an apology to the fans, and it was like physically impossible for him to directly apologize. He also looks very pale and his burn-out eyes (which he's always had) seemed to be in full glory.

He had that whole thing on a tee to say the right things, sincerely or not, and he couldn't do it. It's really something to behold. All that said, I just have a feeling he's going to be thrive in this situation. It's just how his tiny brain works. He has to be treated like an 18 year old - where his emotional maturity was stunted. The Angels, in exchange for the huge contract, expected him to behave like an adult.

Even A-Rod made an attempt at being remorseful

Yeah, he will lose about half, but that was a decision outside of baseball, between he and his (former) wife.  He never had it all to himself anyway, she always had at least half and he had the other portion, so in some ways he will never lose it.  That's the reality of accountability in marriage, but maybe she and Josh aren't good with that kind of accountability either. 

Here's another angle: If someone offers you a contract with the number 125 followed by six zeroes on it, and says that the only condition is that you promise not to do drugs, even if you are an addict, you're going to say whatever you need to say to be given that kind of money. You may even be sincere about it.

Hamilton was probably sincere at the time that he promised to stay on the wagon. But that was a promise he should've known he couldn't keep with 100% surety.

This was why I was against this deal to begin with. I thought it was stupid to give this kind of money to someone who tomorrow could fall off the wagon and cause irreperable harm to his ability to play baseball.

Honestly, as a fan, I expect the owner of my favorite franchise, the franchise that I have followed since I was about 4 years old, to do his due diligence before signing someone with that kind of risk to that kind of money.

"you wouldn't see another significant free agent sign with the Angels while Arte was around".

Really?  How many contracts has Arte tried to void in his tenure?  Arte's bucks spend just as good as any other owner.  They'll sign because Arte has money, SoCal is a  nice place to play and the Angels are competitive.

Free agents understand that Hamilton is a unique case. Never in all of my years following baseball have I seen anything even remotely like it. Confess to the MLB office (not your team) that you used, refuse to follow your team's workout regimen, don't let them evaluate your progress, go into hiding, refuse a rehab assignment, don't communicate, and then act like the owner who trusted you was naive for signing you in the first place.

Free agents understand that Hamilton is a unique case. Never in all of my years following baseball have I seen anything even remotely like it. Confess to the MLB office (not your team) that you used, refuse to follow your team's workout regimen, don't let them evaluate your progress, go into hiding, refuse a rehab assignment, don't communicate, and then act like the owner who trusted you was naive for signing you in the first place.

Your FBA (factual batting average) is .286. 

Hammy could do a line of coke off the railing in Arlington during the National Anthem being sung by the child of a dead soldier and people would call him a victim.

He needs help. Arte and Jerry should have snuggled with him and read him a bedtime story after finding out he relapsed. Instead they got angry and yelled at him and Joshie doesn't like it when you yell at him. He's a sensitive sweetheart.

The Angels are big, mean doodoo heads.

As you guys saw from my story im sure....

The Angels didnt give him away for nothing. They saved at least $20M. And Hamilton personally gave back about $14M of that, only some of which is accounted for by the lack of income tax in Texas.

He basically gave up the same salary as if he'd been suspended for 20-30 games. (Im not an accountant so I have no idea how much the tax thing covers the $14M, so I'm guessing at the rest.)

Hamilton is kicking in about 3.5M of his own money after factoring in tax consequences.

"I played, and played hard when I was there," Hamilton said during a news conference. "I worked my butt off to be that guy this year going into this season for the Angels. They just didn't want that to happen for some reason."

Some reason? This guy still isn't living in reality

Yah, we didn't want him whiffing at breaking balls and fastballs 2 feet out of the zone.

**** this clown. He's had yes men around him...looking back on his autobiography, the guy is completely narcissistic and full of himself. As he would say, "my God given talent will get me through whatever slump I go through..."

Just a news flash to Josh...the big man upstairs doesn't give you all the answers. If you ask any firm believer, he gives you a path. You've been too lazy to take that path to redemption. You expect everything handed to you. You expect people to hold you accountable when you don't hold yourself accountable. You have taken advantage of the love people have for you and stabbed them in the hearts. Now you go crawling back to the organization that you badmouthed on the way out. How long before you become critical of them again?

I mean hes kinda right.  Arte and everyone knew about his drug history.  They should have put a clause in there saying his contract can be terminated if he does drugs again, and if they couldnt get that clause, dont sign him.  If anyone should take some accountability here, its the Angels.

He's kinda right? He basically just said "Arte knew I was a crack head **** up when he signed me." 

Please no one confuse me with this guy who stole my name. 

He's kinda right? He basically just said "Arte knew I was a crack head **** up when he signed me." 

Please no one confuse me with this guy who stole my name. 

Yep Hamilton is right.  We knew his drug history when we signed him, as did everyone.  The only reason Hamilton is a Ranger now is because of ego.  We dont want guys with drug history in the orginization, thats been the mindset for years.

P.s.  My username is better :)

It seems that Arte is a man of principles. He took Josh at his word that he would keep his nose clean ( no pun intended) I would like to know of anyone here that would not be shit canned from their job for doing what Hamilton did disease or not. I applaud the Angel organization for their zero tolerance on druggies. I hope Karma catches up with Josh.

Exactly!

I just cant imagine how that conversation would go

Josh: "I want out of So Cal"

Angels: "Ok, lets agree to a buyout?"

Josh: "No"

Angels: "Ok, hold on."

5 minutes later...

Angels: "We'll send you to Texas and give you the same amount of money you would have made here."

Some really good negoatiating.

the players union would only allow him to forfeit up to a certain amount.  So he can't give up any more than he did.  Texas wasn't about to take on any more because why the **** should they.  

the deal they made was the only way to get out from under a decent chunk.  frankly, I am impressed that they saved 20mil.  

he wasn't coming back.  

This! "Rack him"

let's look at this another way. 

let's say that Arte didn't do his due diligence and signed Hamilton without any sort of protection.  Or at least what he thought was protection.  

Do we really think they would have taken the line that they did?  

The Commish was going to finish Josh's career as an Angel.  That is the line the halos took.  That was the expectation they had.  Why?  Because it had already been discussed.  

So here is the real conversation:

Arte:  'What happens if Josh violates the JDA again'

Commish:  'He will be suspended for the rest of his contract.'

Arte:  'Ok thanks.  Hey Jerry, get the deal done, we are covered'  

Brandon said it best.  How can doing drugs not be a violation of the the JDA?  

Arte got screwed from all sides.  Yet instead of letting someone back on his team, and it is his team, that violated his trust without a modicum of remorse, he ate almost 70 million dollars.  

I am sorry, but that's big dick baller billionaire shit right there.