• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Author: No science to back gluten free diets

Walk into any grocery store or coffee shop and you'll find gluten-free muffins, gluten-free chips, and gluten-free bread. Gluten has replaced fat as the ingredient we love to shun.

And yet, scientists can't find any good evidence to support this fad. Gluten is a protein composite that gives shape to grains like wheat, rye, and barley. And it's true that a very small fraction of people have celiac disease, a real medical condition that causes their bodies to violently reject gluten. But that's only a small fraction of people, and it's not enough to explain the craze. The rest of us are going gluten-free without any real scientific basis for doing so.

The real side effect of a gluten-free diet: scientific illiteracy

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

There are several types of food product I won't even consider eating, including anything gluten free, anything with tofu, anything with kale, and anything Paleo. I also refuse to eat at any restaurant that doesn't serve meat, like the veggie grill.

and Chipotle

It's the nature of food allergies. Some people may feel better because they end up not eating something else that they are allergic too. Or the change in overall diet makes a difference even if it isn't the gluten that makes the difference itself.

My youngest son has Celiac. Kid puked or almost did probably after half his meals until they diagnosed it. Yeah, not sure why anyone would willingly change to gluten-free if they had a choice.

You guys would be blown away by the number or percentage of protein (lettuce wrap) burgers we sell. It is partly due to celiac and partly due to no or low carb diets. When the Atkins diet was all the rage about 10-12 years ago it was one of our biggest percentage up years ever. We have had lettuce wrap burgers since the mid 50's, they use to be called whammies (no idea why).

There are several types of food product I won't even consider eating, including anything gluten free, anything with tofu, anything with kale, and anything Paleo. I also refuse to eat at any restaurant that doesn't serve meat, like the veggie grill.

Paleo is just meat and veggies. It is stupid as a diet but nothing wrong with those things.

Gluten free is a joke. Just a way for whole foods to make more money off of idiots.

look, if you don't want to come over for thanksgiving, a polite little note would have been fine. 

and if you don't like the veggie grill, i'm afraid we can no longer be friends.

I took my elderly aunt to the gastroenterologist last year. 

He said people often feel better on gluten-free diets because their diet was horrible to begin with, not because gluten was the problem.  My aunt (age 87) doesn't have celiac disease.  She had the squirts for two months because her pantry resembled a 7-11 store minus the alcohol and Slurpee machine.

I took my elderly aunt to the gastroenterologist last year. 

He said people often feel better on gluten-free diets because their diet was horrible to begin with, not because gluten was the problem.  My aunt (age 87) doesn't have celiac disease.  She had the squirts for two months because her pantry resembled a 7-11 store minus the alcohol and Slurpee machine.

single?

They haven't.  Just like autism, awareness has.

through my college years, i never knew a single person with peanut allergies. no one in my elementary, high school, or college. zip, zero, nada. in fact, no one even talked about such a thing.

now, you can't swing a dead cat without finding someone with a peanut allergy.

through my college years, i never knew a single person with peanut allergies. no one in my elementary, high school, or college. zip, zero, nada. in fact, no one even talked about such a thing.

now, you can't swing a dead cat without finding someone with a peanut allergy.

I was browsing the shelves at a Sainsburys in London looking for some stuff to take back to my hotel room. On said shelves was a jar of peanuts. On the label - I kid you not -  was a warning that said "Warning: Contains nuts". Really? Who would have figured.

I see the gluten free thing as like every other fad that has come and gone over the past several decades. There are conditions that didn't exist 20 years ago, and in my opinion don't exist now. Just like everyone was overweight because of a lack of chromium picolinate, and then green tea was the magic bullet.