• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Moura: Rangers likely to benefit from arrogance of Angels owner Moreno

We'll see. Rangers don't look like contenders at all this season and perhaps next year...and Hamilton's decline started while he was with Texas. His 2nd half in 2012 is probably a good idea of what kind of numbers he might put up there since the park will help his production a bit

I'm not worried. I'm thrilled that I won't have to watch Hamilton's AB's again in an Angels uniform.

My guess is that Arte isn't as much upset about Hamilton's relapse as he is about his performance and, more so, his own foolishness at signing him in the first place. In a way the relapse is just a red herring for the real issue: Arte made a terrible business decision and is blaming Josh and his addiction for it.

I do agree with what the article implies, that on paper at least, the Angels are better with Josh than without him - unless, of course, they bring someone in to replace him. But Hamilton's upside in left field is much higher than what the Angels have to put out there: Joyce, Cowgill, Green, Brown, etc. It is a tough pill to swallow, but the Angels are a better team with Hamilton on the field than without him.

That is one of the stupidest articles I've ever read. Professional sports are about one thing and one thing alone: production. A player can be a bad person and still play IF he is productive (Barry Bonds). Hamilton has not had anything even close to resembling decent production in line with his compensation. On top of all that is the fact that he relapsed. In the last 2 years he has shown that he is incapable of helping the team as a player (Cron's production is likely to be at least as good as Hamilton's at this point) and Hamilton has become a huge distraction. The only questionable thing is trading him to an in division rival, but at this point the Rangers may be the only other team in baseball willing to have him.

What an insightful article.  Based on this logic, if I hire someone to do a job, who historically has done great work, and this hired person does garbage work, I would be arrogant to dismiss them.

I need to rethink so many other things.......wow!

Did you watch the playoffs last year?

Yeah, but I wouldn't project Hamilton going forward based upon those three games. First of all, remember that he was going back too quickly from injury. Secondly, if we take 2013-14 as his baseline and give him a chance of out-producing that, he's a better bet than what the Angels can currently put in LF.

I'm not saying that I wanted Hamilton to stay, but that dumping him to "save" $15M was an emotional decision.

Yeah, but I wouldn't project Hamilton going forward based upon those three games. First of all, remember that he was going back too quickly from injury. Secondly, if we take 2013-14 as his baseline and give him a chance of out-producing that, he's a better bet than what the Angels can currently put in LF.

I'm not saying that I wanted Hamilton to stay, but that dumping him to "save" $15M was an emotional decision.

It may only be 15 mil, but thanks to how MLB keeps its books, it's 5 mil per year freed up for luxury tax puposes. There may be some value in that.

I completely agree with the article. Hamilton isn't blameless, he's human. Granted, Texas doesn't look like a contender, but we just handed them a firmer MVP with a chip on his shoulder and the drive to stick it to his fomer employer.

This may or may not make Texas better, but when Hamilton goes on a HR hitting tirade against us, directly costing us wins, that could adversely effect out chances at making the playoffs.

As far as I can tell, the Angels will need all of those thry can get. They should've kept Hamilyon, if for the sole reason that he doesn't play against them.

Total utter stupidity.

This may or may not make Texas better, but when Hamilton goes on a HR hitting tirade against us, directly costing us wins, that could adversely effect out chances at making the playoffs.

Throw him nothing but breaking pitches out of the strike zone. He'll swing and miss. He can't help it. If he gets a few BB's, no big problem.

Have you seen Hamilton the last two seasons? Isn't this the same dude going through a divorce, who turns to drugs and booze when the going gets tough, has been documented to not have the heart to play by one if his closest friends, coming off an injury and refused to work with the team on rehab but I'm supposed to fear him rising like a Phoenix from the ashes? Hmmm...anything is possible in life I guess.

Edited by mulwin444

Scotty Allen, I agree with you "on paper" but also think that LAAMike and others have a good point in that Hamilton's presence would have been distracting at the least, outright damaging at worst. I suppose there's a possible narrative of his triumphant return to star level and leading the Angels to a World Series, but really, how possible would that have been really?

Even on a human level the "right" thing to do was probably to get rid of him. Give him a chance to start again, and of course drown his divorce sorrows in that sweet Dallas 'tang.

There is some ego here on Moreno's part, but I think this is more about strategy in trying to void his contract without it adversely affecting the team.  

Let's recap:

Josh's agent sells his client at full retail under the guise that there is a return policy.  We don't know the language in the contract nor if it's even enforceable.  

The Halos bite and Josh under performs for two years relative to the money he's being paid but has been an above average player at his position

An incident occurs that clearly violates the spirit if not the letter of the agreement between Hamilton and the Angels.  One fully admitted to by Hamilton.

The process for handling this matter, which is contractual and mutually agreed upon by mlb and the players, rules that there was no violation.  

Complicating things further is the player currently being injured and refusing a rehab assignment (well within his right per the CBA)

It is unclear as to what level of communication the team has had with the player and vice versa relative to intent of resolution on either side

Yet as actions speak louder than words, Hamilton is traded to his former team and the Angels agree to pay the majority of the remainder of his contract.  

So here is my take on this:

The Angels are going to aggressively pursue voiding this deal.   I think it has been their intent to do so all along and the arbitrator's ruling that he didn't violate the JDA threw a massive wrench in the works.  

So going forward, they could do this in one of three ways:

1.  Keep Josh on the team and have this be a massive distraction.  

2.  Outright release him and potentially be on the hook for the entire contract amount

3.  Get another team to take him and pay a small portion so if they can't void his deal at least they aren't paying the whole thing

Because of the route the Angels have chosen, #3 was really the best option.  

The question is, why did the Angels choose to try to get the contract voided as opposed to trying to support the player and help him return to help the team.  Bear in mind that even though Josh isn't doing what he was supposed to from a production standpoint, he is still a better option than what is being put out on the field currently.  

I believe that in negotiating his original deal, Josh and Arte sat across a table eye to eye and Arte agreed to pay Josh full retail for his services if he stayed 100% clean.  Josh and his agent agreed that if he wasn't clean that he shouldn't get that full retail contract.  

I also believe that Hamilton's team of agents and attorneys knew full well about the loophole in the JDA and had it in their back pocket should this situation arise.  They played this perfectly so their client would continue to get paid.

While there is some ego here on Arte's part, this is also about precedent.  Yes, the Halos allowed themselves to be manipulated because they trusted someone so shame on them.  But there is no way they are going down on this without a fight.  Bringing Hamilton back to this team would have sent a message that they were ok with being manipulated and taken advantage of and they are not about to do that.  

The Angels made it clear they did not want Hamilton and were trying to void his contract. They pulled no punches. It was pretty despicable the way they went about it. Of course Hamilton had a poor attitude by that point. I worry that it has damaged the organization's reputation in the eyes of players. Maybe the trade to Texas is an attempt to salvage that by giving Hamilton "what he wants."

The whole thing about Hamilton refusing to go to Arizona is very unclear and has been reported by one outlet (the LA Times) and as far as I know not confirmed or clarified by anyone else.

Doing rehab in Arizona and extended spring in Arizona are two different things.

I'll certainly be trying to get to the bottom of this but for now we just don't know.