• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto's next big decision going forward

Over the past 2 seasons, Dipoto has done an excellent job of re-stocking the MLB team and farm system with quality young arms, something the team was in dire need of back in 2013. They now look to have a nice glut of options for the foreseeable future and that doesn't take into account any FA arm(s) they may or may not sign over the coming years

The biggest thing he needs to figure out now is finding that other top notch bat to pair with Mike Trout going forward in the coming years. Pujols is only getting older and getting worse. He's not going to be that option(not a good one at least) for 2016-2020.

He needs to find that bat via trade or in FA. Only bat in this upcoming FA crop who would fit the bill is Justin Upton, but that seems doubtful. Dude will be the top FA bat and will just be 28 years old. 2016 is also when the Angels see the salaries of a few vets really start to bloat the payroll, so I don't know if they'll have the room to make such a big commitment to somebody like Upton. Maybe Calhoun is the answer to this

With Trout, Calhoun, and Pujols you have 2.5 good bats (and I'm being generous with the. 5). Offense is a major concern going forward. Freese is gone after this year, Aybar after next year. It's not looking too bright right now.

Good thread. I agree that another bona fide, top talent position player would be the best thing this team could get going forward. I am guessing the only way to get that talent is to pay through the nose in free agency (e.g., Justin Upton).

Then again, the Giants have done well for themselves without any superstar talent, let alone two such players.

I actually disagree that we won't be able to afford such a bat. The luxury cap is based off the average annual value of a contract, not what that player is making that year. For example, let's say it's later in Albert's contract and he's making 30 million a year. The average expense of his contract is only 25 million a year.

After this year, Weav and Wilson have only none year left, so there's 35 million off the payroll alone. Aybar's contract concludes that year, there's another 8 million. Joe Smith, Huston Street, Fernando Salas will all be hitting FA soon as well. Then there's the big one after that, Hamilton will be 25 million off the books.

Now granted, the Angeks will have a few guys they need to lock up, like Richards and Calhoun, but they should have the money to make a big signing if they want to.

I think they end up signing Jason Hetward for 20 million a year. Sure, it'll put them over the luxury tax in 2016. But with so much coming off the books in 2017 and 18, they'll drop right back below it next year and avoid excess penalties.

And as far as the bat itself goes, Hetward has huge upside and will be entering his age 27 season. That means the Angels would have him in his prime. But there are other guys within the system I'm holding out hope for.

Cron is a mess right now. But we saw in Spring, he can be that dangerous middle if the order hitter the Angels need. Green's bat is ready to be inserted in LF right now. Kubitza is killing it in AAA and will be replacing Freese next year. Yarbrough's bat is beginning to hear up after a slow start in AAA. He was the best hitter in AA last year. Roberto Baldoquin has a lot of tools and is only going to get better. Then there are a few guys down in the minors that certainly have a future, like Chad Hinshaw, Bo Way, Nat Delgado and Zach Houchins.

So I think the Angels will be fine, especially after this next draft. I hope they'll chase a college hitter first round.

I actually disagree that we won't be able to afford such a bat. The luxury cap is based off the average annual value of a contract, not what that player is making that year. For example, let's say it's later in Albert's contract and he's making 30 million a year. The average expense of his contract is only 25 million a year.

After this year, Weav and Wilson have only none year left, so there's 35 million off the payroll alone. Aybar's contract concludes that year, there's another 8 million. Joe Smith, Huston Street, Fernando Salas will all be hitting FA soon as well. Then there's the big one after that, Hamilton will be 25 million off the books.

Now granted, the Angeks will have a few guys they need to lock up, like Richards and Calhoun, but they should have the money to make a big signing if they want to.

I think they end up signing Jason Hetward for 20 million a year. Sure, it'll put them over the luxury tax in 2016. But with so much coming off the books in 2017 and 18, they'll drop right back below it next year and avoid excess penalties.

And as far as the bat itself goes, Hetward has huge upside and will be entering his age 27 season. That means the Angels would have him in his prime. But there are other guys within the system I'm holding out hope for.

Cron is a mess right now. But we saw in Spring, he can be that dangerous middle if the order hitter the Angels need. Green's bat is ready to be inserted in LF right now. Kubitza is killing it in AAA and will be replacing Freese next year. Yarbrough's bat is beginning to hear up after a slow start in AAA. He was the best hitter in AA last year. Roberto Baldoquin has a lot of tools and is only going to get better. Then there are a few guys down in the minors that certainly have a future, like Chad Hinshaw, Bo Way, Nat Delgado and Zach Houchins.

So I think the Angels will be fine, especially after this next draft. I hope they'll chase a college hitter first round.

there is no impact there Scotty.  Maybe with Cron.  Maybe.  Plus we are talking about quite a few untested bats finding there way into the lineup over a short span.  3b, SS, LF, DH, 2b, C - all being replaced by minor leaguers or guys with limited experience over the next 2-3 years?  I seriously doubt that.  

I like all those future guys as much as you, but let's be realistic.  There likely isn't any impact there either.

The Angels are going to continue to be free agent wall flowers.  It's a pretty crappy way to get production.  Heyward, for example, is Mr. Defense and all the MLB clubs have the metrics to determine whether his defense is worth as much as the metrics we see indicate.  But regardless, there will be no discount because he's still 'upside' with the bat.  He's gonna get a 10yr deal for 200mil.  or somewhere near that.  Maybe 8/160.  Unless he completely tanks this year.  There is no way in hell I want any part of a deal like that, and Upton is going to get more.  

Dipoto likes his trades.  He's good at moving vets for young pitching.  But they are going to need to pull a rabbit out of their hats because their acquisition of young bats is suspect to date.  To me, Kubitza will be an important indicator of whether they know what they are doing on the scouting of young position players.  

There are likely no potential impact minor league bats to be had from any of our veteran guys except if Aybar gets his act together offensively.  In fact, It appears that baldoquin is going to take some time to develop.  The cuban guys who got fast tracked to the majors previously hit the ground running whether they started regardless of being in a new situation.  I am not down on baldoquin, but he's not coming for a couple of years at least.  That said, it might be a good time to extend Aybar.  See you can work out a deal where you get two more years beyond his current deal.  

But it's doubtful that Iannetta, Freese, Joyce, or Wilson bring what we will need.  They are going to have to tap into their young pitching depth to bring in that impact position player.  Which makes me think that they will continue to go pitching heavy in the draft and use it as baseball currency.  I could see the Cubs being a good match for us in the offseason.  

there is no impact there Scotty.  Maybe with Cron.  Maybe.  Plus we are talking about quite a few untested bats finding there way into the lineup over a short span.  3b, SS, LF, DH, 2b, C - all being replaced by minor leaguers or guys with limited experience over the next 2-3 years?  I seriously doubt that.  

I like all those future guys as much as you, but let's be realistic.  There likely isn't any impact there either.

The Angels are going to continue to be free agent wall flowers.  It's a pretty crappy way to get production.  Heyward, for example, is Mr. Defense and all the MLB clubs have the metrics to determine whether his defense is worth as much as the metrics we see indicate.  But regardless, there will be no discount because he's still 'upside' with the bat.  He's gonna get a 10yr deal for 200mil.  or somewhere near that.  Maybe 8/160.  Unless he completely tanks this year.  There is no way in hell I want any part of a deal like that, and Upton is going to get more.  

Dipoto likes his trades.  He's good at moving vets for young pitching.  But they are going to need to pull a rabbit out of their hats because their acquisition of young bats is suspect to date.  To me, Kubitza will be an important indicator of whether they know what they are doing on the scouting of young position players.  

There are likely no potential impact minor league bats to be had from any of our veteran guys except if Aybar gets his act together offensively.  In fact, It appears that baldoquin is going to take some time to develop.  The cuban guys who got fast tracked to the majors previously hit the ground running whether they started regardless of being in a new situation.  I am not down on baldoquin, but he's not coming for a couple of years at least.  That said, it might be a good time to extend Aybar.  See you can work out a deal where you get two more years beyond his current deal.  

But it's doubtful that Iannetta, Freese, Joyce, or Wilson bring what we will need.  They are going to have to tap into their young pitching depth to bring in that impact position player.  Which makes me think that they will continue to go pitching heavy in the draft and use it as baseball currency.  I could see the Cubs being a good match for us in the offseason.  

Not sure why you say there's no impact.  Kubitza, Bandy, Yarbrough, Cron, all those guys can be average or better offensively at their respective positions. There aren't any Trouts in there but definitely a few Aybars and that can go a long way.  Just ask the Giants, Royals and Cardinals. 

I say add Adam Lind if Cron and the Brewers continue to flop, keep adding bats to the system through the draft, international market, and via trade. This team sorely lacks bats in the system. I agree that they definitely need a big bat or two. Either a top of the order guy to push down Kole in the lineup or a middle of the order bat to move Pujols to cleanup (this isn't taking into account that I'd think they would need another bat to hit 5th). Left field and DH look like areas Dipoto will need to address during this season and heading into the offseason. Me thinks Dipoto is already planning a couple things. 

Not sure why you say there's no impact.  Kubitza, Bandy, Yarbrough, Cron, all those guys can be average or better offensively at their respective positions. There aren't any Trouts in there but definitely a few Aybars and that can go a long way.  Just ask the Giants, Royals and Cardinals. 

I just don't get the infatuation with Cron and Yarbrough. This system clearly lacks impact bats. 

yeah, there have been some fairly major disappointments the last couple years with the bats they envisioned making up the heart of the order. Pujols has slid further and faster than they thought, Hamilton has been a complete flop, and Freese has been slightly disappointing. That's supposed to be your intimidating 3-4-5 right there.

Dipoto has his work cut out for him, but I agree, if this team is going to remain a contender over the next few years, they're going to have to find at least one major impact bat somewhere.

IMHO, the only possible impact bat that is near major-league ready is Kubitza. And I don't think of him as an impact bat per se, more of an above-average hitter in the Kole Calhoun model.

I foresee two possible free agent hitting targets: Heyward and Cespedes. Cespedes could be attractive because I think he'll sign for less than Heyward, has no qualifying offer attached, and will only turn 30 this October.

I also see one possible pitching target. Let's face it, David Price will be priced (pun intended) way out of Arte's comfort level. But what about Johnny Cueto?

I understand why Dipoto has gone after young, controllable pitching talent. And that helps the pitching depth immensely. But how nice would it be to have a 1-2 punch of Cueto/Richards? He'll turn 30 next February, so he's still relatively young. Cueto might actually be a good trade target this July, as well.

Another pitching target could be Samardzija.

I'm sorry. I just don't see Cron ever being an impact bat. I don't even see him being as good as Trumbo.

I reeeeeally hope not. I love good defense as much as the next guy, but paying that type of money for defense is ridiculous. Pass on Heyward. 

IMHO, the only possible impact bat that is near major-league ready is Kubitza. And I don't think of him as an impact bat per se, more of an above-average hitter in the Kole Calhoun model.

I foresee two possible free agent hitting targets: Heyward and Cespedes. Cespedes could be attractive because I think he'll sign for less than Heyward, has no qualifying offer attached, and will only turn 30 this October.

I also see one possible pitching target. Let's face it, David Price will be priced (pun intended) way out of Arte's comfort level. But what about Johnny Cueto?

I understand why Dipoto has gone after young, controllable pitching talent. And that helps the pitching depth immensely. But how nice would it be to have a 1-2 punch of Cueto/Richards? He'll turn 30 next February, so he's still relatively young. Cueto might actually be a good trade target this July, as well.

Another pitching target could be Samardzija.

I'm sorry. I just don't see Cron ever being an impact bat. I don't even see him being as good as Trumbo.

Wait why wouldn't Cespedes get a qualifying offer? The only way he won't get a QO is if he's traded mid-season. I'm actually kind of hoping the Angels have another quiet offseason, make some complementary moves, continue to build up the farm, just add depth and continue to build future spending flexibility. The're going to have to address left and DH, though. Agree that Cron is nothing special.

I will admit. Thinking about an outfield of Cespedes/Upton, Trout, and Calhoun is drool worthy, just don't really see it happening. 

Edited by nikkachez

Wait why wouldn't Cespedes get a qualifying offer? The only way he won't get a QO is if he's traded mid-season. I'm actually kind of hoping the Angels have another quiet offseason, make some complementary moves, continue to build up the farm, just add depth and continue to build future spending flexibility. The're going to have to address left and DH, though. Agree that Cron is nothing special.

I will admit. Thinking about an outfield of Cespedes/Upton, Trout, and Calhoun is drool worthy, just don't really see it happening. 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/04/2016-mlb-free-agent-power-rankings-2.html

According to MLBTR, he doesn't get a QO. It might have to do with him being a Cuban free agent signee.