• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAT: San Francisco on verge of smokeless tobacco ban, even at Giants games

gotbeer

I don't think I've ever seen a celebrity smoke a cigarette, or a baseball player dipping and thought "Wow, they look so cool. I want to be like them. I'm gonna take up smoking or dipping."

IMO the logic to connect what adults are doing to what youngsters want to do is completely subjective and pointless.

I don't think I've ever seen a celebrity smoke a cigarette, or a baseball player dipping and thought "Wow, they look so cool. I want to be like them. I'm gonna take up smoking or dipping."

IMO the logic to connect what adults are doing to what youngsters want to do is completely subjective and pointless.

You never wanted to play pro ball? 

Regardless, you may not have been influenced by adults but everyone else has.

when i had kings season tickets, there was a guy that sat in front of us that we got to know. one game, he's got this styrofoam cup of black goo. my brother and i saw it and had no idea what it was . . . until we saw him pick it up and spit into it. disgusting beyond words. got a brief whiff of the smell, too - oh my, no bueno.

You didn't see Keith Hernandez light up on Seinfeld and think, "whoa, he's cool?"

I smoke premium cigars, which can't be bought for pocket change and have never been marketed to children. The anti-tobacco lobby is so hell bent on driving the whole industry out of business that there have been efforts at both the state and federal levels to outlaw cigar lounges, walk in humidors and online sales, and to impose draconian per - cigar taxes to make them artificially unaffordable. People generally don't smoke cigars out of addiction and don't buy them by the hundreds like cigarettes, yet some lump them in the same pile. Fortunately there seem to be enough votes in Congress to keep the FDA out of my humidor, but it doesn't stop states and cities from going over the edge.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Apparently you've never seen Big League Chew, a product I can't believe has existed for at least 30 years.

You couldn't sell non-alcoholic beer for kids.

Apparently you've never seen Big League Chew, a product I can't believe has existed for at least 30 years.

You couldn't sell non-alcoholic beer for kids.

IIRC from reading what Jim Bouton said about it, Big League Chew was actually designed as an alternative to tobacco for both players and kids watching the game. They were hoping that if players started chewing gum they'd stop chewing tobacco.

And a lot of places actually do serve "mocktails"  so kids (and adults who don't drink) can have something that looks like a "real" drink alongside the adults. Shirley Temples, virgin mojitos, etc. Hell, you can even get an alcohol-free mint julep up the block at Disneyland, and kids certainly walk around drinking those.

It's one of those things that is always open to debate: how much kids are influenced by what they see and hear from their "idols" in sports, music, etc. I would wager that it depends largely on the individual kid, how they're raised and how they process what they see. When I was growing up I had candy cigarettes, had mocktails when my family went out to eat, and liked bands that pretty openly did a lot of drugs and drank heavily...and I never had the desire to smoke, drink to excess or do drugs. And I never have, either as a teen or adult. For some kids that might be the opposite. There are a damn lot of adults out there who are impressionable, copy what they see and can be manipulated in their emotions and responses, too.

Edited by AngelsSurfer