• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Need some advise re:school truancy.

On the one hand, i agree with whoever above (think it was MT) said there are certain things acceptable for a kid to miss school. Something where the kid is going to miss school to experience something where they still learn (as stated, washingron DC, some kind of trip abroad thats not about euro disney but a history tour or something like that)

But i also agree with cez (even though hes a dumb mariner fan) that kids do fall behind when they miss too much. Personally, i think our society is slipping further and further, and education needs to be emphasized far more based on the rest of the world passing us.

Beyond that, just from my own experience professionally, truant kids are a real problem. In my experience, they arent missing school to go to DC, theyre missing it at first just to f*ck off at home (sleep late and play video games), and sooner or later that morphs into them ending up with the stolen ipad from your neighbors house, and pregant. Usually when we get involved the parents are complaining they cant control the kid...but thats never something that started overnight. Its just about always something that started when the kid was missing school to f*ck off and sleep late and play video games.

Teachers get a ton of grief (cez earns it for his mariner fandom) for our kids failing. I dont have kids, so have no clue whats being taught and how maybe it can be improved from the school's end, but again, from what i see every day, its in the home where the kids are failing. Both my parents worked, and we didnt have money when i was a kid...but my parents always made sure i was on top of my homework, were always there to help if i needed it, and had no problem droppong the hammer if i had subpar grades or a teacher said i needed to be disciplined. And i think this is something thats sorely lacking these days. Too many people who are not and never will be good parents are reproducing...and in doing so theyre screwing up the gene pool. So a teacher could bend over backwards and teach their ass off in the classroom...doesnt matter if the kid goes home and doesnt study. Its no different than hiring a personal trainer and eating ice cream 5 times a day.

Sorry, can't view any solution that involves putting a 17 year old in adult jail is a viable path. You want to go after the parents, ok. You want to look at putting them in juvy for a weekend...ok, that's something to consider. You want to drop them in general population...not buying it.

ill have to go back and read what youre referencing, but at least as far as california, juveniles arent allowed to be in contact with adults in custody.