• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pete Rose back in baseball

well, don't like to disappoint y'all -- but Pete Rose is likely a very lousy TV analyst/ commentator -- we'll see.

I do agree that Pete Rose should be reinstated into MLB and should be made eligible for HOF ballot starting next year.

he's the all time MLB hits leader for Pete's sake.......and despite his 'issues' which, quite frankly were NOT performance enhancing and actually seem less significant than some of the stuff we've seen in MLB since the time Rose was banned so many years ago, it's time to say he's served his sentence/ punishment and return him to the game before he's gone.

whether you agree or disagree with reinstating Pete Rose and all that  -- I don't think any one can deny that baseball fans of a certain age (dare I say 50 and above? perhaps a bit younger) remember when the correct way to play baseball was by emulating MR. HUSTLE -- Pete Rose -- all out -- ran to first base on walks, slid head first (back before it was deemed dangerous and stuff) and play all out every play trying any way to beat the opposition.........none of that play, none of his stats, none of his accomplishments on the field with one of the greatest teams of all time -- the Big Red Machine -- was impacted by the conduct that got him banned from baseball....

Rose isn't going to be that great as a commentator but it sounds (reading between the lines on this) that FOX figures the new commissioner is going to re-instate Rose and then he'll be on the HOF ballot next year so this way they're essentially paying for a first interview exclusive on everything Pete Rose during his initial year before the HOF balloting and then if he gets IN, which, I have to believe he will - won't be a unanimous but I just can't imagine him not getting the 75% vote requirement.....then FOX has that exclusive........

if you've heard interviews or even seen commercials with Rose -- I don't think he's going to be very good as an analyst........

as a guy who has been watching baseball a long time, it seems to me that the game and the nature of the players playing the game has really changed in the past five to ten years with the change accelerating each year.........the MLB world that Pete Rose played in and was around no longer exists............it's sort of like a guy coming out of prison after a 20 year stint to suddenly see folks with I-phones, wireless devices, internet, etc.  When you think about it, the world has really changed in the past 10 plus years......watch some movies or even some TV shows from that era (which does not seem that long ago) and the lack of cell phones / mobile devices is really noticeable dating the film --- it's really noticeable on old cable re-runs of shows still on the air like Law & Order SVU and the other Law & Order programs........how does Pete Rose relate to today's MLB player???????

This has to have been approved by Manfred. That means the Commissioner is working towards his re-instatement and eventually removing the ban altogether. I am not sure this is the right way to proceed, re-instating Rose while ignoring Joe Jackson that was banned for the same issue, purportedly betting on and fixing outcomes of games.

Although Jackson did hit .400 in the 1919 WS, iirc.

Jackson and Rose both got screwed.

It was never proved that Jackson did anything wrong, unlike Cicotte and his wretched pitching after a great season.

Isn't betting on your own team to win kind of like investing in the stock market?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Although Jackson did hit .400 in the 1919 WS, iirc.

Jackson and Rose both got screwed.

It was never proved that Jackson did anything wrong, unlike Cicotte and his wretched pitching after a great season.

Isn't betting on your own team to win kind of like investing in the stock market?

Yes, Mickelson always bets on himself to win. He bets big money on sports in general.