• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

.186, .184, .213, .186, .143, .192, .118

Fun fact: we have 7 runs and a .157 average from the 7th inning onward this season, both dead last in the league. Sounds about right. 

We're also 3rd to last in BA with RISP, and our starters have the 4th worst ERA in the majors. 

It's actually kind of surprising we even have 5 wins, considering everything except our bullpen is pretty awful right now. 

This isn't a Scioscia issue, this is a Dipoto issue.

He traded away a central part of the lineup and did nothing to shore it up.

He also bet on the pitching being as good as it was last season even though the probability of that happening had to be really low.  For one thing Jepsen is gone and he was the third best reliever on the team last year.  Richards is coming off a major leg injury, Shoe was coming off a season where he blew the doors of expectations.  Santiago was always just an ok SP.

This is a 75-85 win team at best.

There is still a whole season left but these concerns are valid. Everyone here predicted a regression from Shoemaker and it will take a few starts for Richards to get his rhythm going. 

Fun fact: we have 7 runs and a .157 average from the 7th inning onward this season, both dead last in the league. Sounds about right. 

We're also 3rd to last in BA with RISP, and our starters have the 4th worst ERA in the majors. 

It's actually kind of surprising we even have 5 wins, considering everything except our bullpen is pretty awful right now. 

Mike Trout.  

The bullpen has been great aside from a couple of hiccups, one each by Salas and Alvarez.

And both of those were in meaningless situations. In the event that our offense/starting pitching actually gives us more leads to work with, we can at least have confidence that the bullpen won't blow too many of them, so there's that.

This isn't a Scioscia issue, this is a Dipoto issue.

He traded away a central part of the lineup and did nothing to shore it up.

He also bet on the pitching being as good as it was last season even though the probability of that happening had to be really low.  For one thing Jepsen is gone and he was the third best reliever on the team last year.  Richards is coming off a major leg injury, Shoe was coming off a season where he blew the doors of expectations.  Santiago was always just an ok SP.

This is a 75-85 win team at best.

I'm going to disagree that this team can max out at 85 wins for the season, particularly since the offense will almost certainly pick up. The only players I would expect regression from their numbers up to this point are Trout (who also wouldn't shock me if he was able to hit .330+ if he figures out the high strike thing) and Giavotella. Calhoun, Pujols, Aybar, Iannetta, Freese, and even Joyce are hitting well below where I expect them to finish on the season. Cron is a question mark and maybe Joyce doesn't improve a ton based on his recent trend of regressing seasons. 

The starting pitching does worry me a lot though, with Weaver and Shoemaker showing big drops in their velocity. CJ Wilson and Santiago are both question marks, and Richards health being an issue. The one positive is that there is at least some depth that we could use if some of those players regress/get injured, which is why I disagree that he didn't see the potential for regression in the rotation, as he added a lot of depth, something we definitely lack. Also, Rasmus' return to the bullpen will be of help too.

Weavers first two starts last year were awful then he settled down. Shoemaker should be fine even if it's not as good as last year. Santiago is always underrated here and I don't know why. 25+ starts out of him this year will help us.

The offense will be fine. Aybar and Pujols always start off slow but they'll get their shit together. Freese on Johnny G have been nice surprised and Ianetta is too good to keep this up. It's frustrating right now but it is every April. Just wait it out another few weeks then I bet we start clicking

Hell I was blasted on this board to suggest the pitching over achieved last year. Now it's everyone expected it!

There is still a whole season left but these concerns are valid. Everyone here predicted a regression from Shoemaker and it will take a few starts for Richards to get his rhythm going.

Just because Giavotella is hitting doesn't mean anything.  Howie was a #5 or 6 hitter.  He would actually be hitting 4th in this lineup.  Hitting 9th is not the same, even if he is hitting for average.

like clockwork

I get what you're saying Jeff, but the fact is they are currently 26th in batting average, which has certainly contributed to their losing record thus far. It will of course improve given how many regulars are hitting below their career average, but it is still frustrating to watch as a fan, which I take as the main point of threads like these.... fans of the Angels venting about the poor performance of the team in a very young MLB season.

Meh....  The Angels are 29th in BABIP (.246) 54 points below the MLB average BABIP last year.    You know all those old timey type things baseball people say about balls not falling in and a team being unlucky?  The Angels are living it.  Pujols, Cron, Ianetta, are all below .190 -- that's not going to carry on.

Yeah it's frustrating but it's not an indication of their talent level.  The team's walk and K rates are pretty much on par with what they were last year.  Balls will start dropping in and then I'm guessing people will come in off their ledges.