• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If we put some talent around Calhoun and Trout...

Probably because it actually is still debatable and NOT been pretty well established.

It's not really a debate. Can you find any empirical evidence that hitting the best hitter third leads to more runs? It's not hard to find a dozen or more that show that second is better.

It's not really a debate. Can you find any empirical evidence that hitting the best hitter third leads to more runs? It's not hard to find a dozen or more that show that second is better.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3779

The hypothetical lineup used in this 2005 experiment consisted of a high OBP/low Slg type (Luis Castillo), a low OBP/high Slg type (Wily Mo Pena) and an average hitter (Morgan Ensberg). This experiment showed that the high OBP types should bat 1-2, the high slugging players in the 3-5, and a mix after the 5 for highest run potential. 

None of this necessarily accounts for Trout, a high OBP/high Slg hitter. However, Trout is the best power hitter on this club and those talents are somewhat marginally wasted in the second spot. So far this season, other than Trout, the best two at getting on base have been Giavotella and Calhoun and it's not even close.

I want guys who are going to get on base hitting at the top of the order. Johnny G (so far) has been wasted at the bottom of the order, where he is getting fewer plate appearances.

So it's not necessarily about Trout. It's about getting guys on for Trout as many times as possible. With JG hitting 9th, that is happening one less time per game.

Edited by Mark68

Yes. And it's a new season and the team has gone through some changes.

we lost howie and hamilton

our 2B is batting .300 and from what i've read, we're much better off without Hamilton. What changes have been cause for so much concern?

A couple reasons. One, the #2 hitter gets more plate appearances per year than the #3. Secondly, their have been studies that have shown that your best hitter should be batting #2 or #4, not #3.. I don't know exactly why, but math and science and stuff.

Edited by Angelsjunky

A couple reasons. One, the #2 hitter gets more plate appearances per year than the #1. Secondly, their have been studies that have shown that your best hitter should be batting #2 or #4, not #3.. I don't know exactly why, but math and science and stuff.

That's not possible because Scioscia

trout is the prime example of a nr 3 hitter. he would hit 3rd on every other team. I have absolutely no clue why ms doesn't have the balls to move Pujols down.

There was some speculation on these boards that the Angels put language in Pujols contact guaranteeing that he would bat third in the lineup.

There was some speculation on these boards that the Angels put language in Pujols contact guaranteeing that he would bat third in the lineup.

Yes but it was just that, speculation. Also just a hunch that speculation started during an 0-3 game with a K and a DP.

Seriously guys! How would we score more runs with Gio leadoff, Calhoun, Trout, Purple. Over the current lineup with Calhoun, Trout, Pujol and Gio 9th? Outside of the first inning isn't the same lineup??????

Maybe it's time to shuffle the lineup. JG leading off, Calhoun 2, Trout 3, Pujols 4, Freese 5 vs LHP, Joyce 5 vs RHP. That would be a pretty good 1-5.

How does the #1 hitter get less place appearances than the #2 hitter? Am I missing something?

A couple reasons. One, the #2 hitter gets more plate appearances per year than the #1. Secondly, their have been studies that have shown that your best hitter should be batting #2 or #4, not #3.. I don't know exactly why, but math and science and stuff.

Edited by stormngt

We can win the division with what we have.  But as we saw last year, you cant rely on one guy to win a playoff series for you, unless his name is Bumgardner.  It will be a quick exit unless Trout has some protection in the lineup.  

personally, i'm not in love with our starting pitching. i'm less in love with our swing for the fences approach. those are the things that may hinder the angels, it sure won't be because they lost one 5 game series against the royals last year. the only player who really showed up in that series was david freese and i don't think that's who you were suggesting was the "one" guy approach. the angels fell flat on their faces last year in that series.

Edited by ukyah

Exactly, this team needs more thumpers. Looks like left field will be open again soon. Kubitza and Johnson coming up through the pipeline along with a legitimate middle of the order hitter in left could make this the bets lineup in baseball. Left field and DH look like areas that can be improved.