• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: 4/14 vs. Rangers

Lhalo

Our team has two guys total that could lead off, one has a calf strain the other bats second. Aybar or Cowgill, 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. If we had a ton of options to fill that spot I could understand questioning it, but I don't really have a problem with this.

Our team has two guys total that could lead off, one has a calf strain the other bats second. Aybar or Cowgill, 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. If we had a ton of options to fill that spot I could understand questioning it, but I don't really have a problem with this.

I don't disagree that there are limited options, Strad, but I guess my problem is we KNOW Aybar isn't very effective there. He's had a ton of chances there and never really done well in that role. Cowgill at least has shown he can be somewhat successful in that role.

It's a philosophical thing - there's very little about Aybar's game that makes him suited for that role, and yet apparently because he has decent speed Scioscia thinks that makes him a good leadoff hitter. Personally, I want a guy that has good ABs, makes adjustments from AB to AB, is patient, is a good baserunner (not just fast) , and gets on base. And Cowgill comes much closer to fulfilling those requirements than Aybar does.

I get what you are saying, and of the options we have I agree that Cowgill would make more sense than Aybar, but I also don't really think it makes a big difference. Maybe if they were facing a lefty you might see Cowgill get the nod at leadoff like he did yesterday.

I get what you are saying, and of the options we have I agree that Cowgill would make more sense than Aybar, but I also don't really think it makes a big difference. Maybe if they were facing a lefty you might see Cowgill get the nod at leadoff like he did yesterday.

yeah, I think you're probably right. Honestly, the Aybar/leadoff thing is just a pet peeve of mine. I don't let most of what MS does bother me, because I figure he's forgotten more about baseball than I'll ever know, but that one is just illogical to me.

I will NEVER understand Scioscia's belief in Aybar as a leadoff hitter. Would rather have Cowgil or even Giovotella up there. 

Same here. Aybar does NOT belong in the leadoff spot. And he never has.

I don't know why Scioscia insists on penciling him in there.

We just love putting guys in the leadoff spot who dont belong there.

These game day posts always become gold as the game goes on. Thanks, guys, for supplying some reverse jinx mojo before first pitch.

Go easy on them. It is easy criticize when you don't have to find solutions.

Have you seen Cowgills numbers against right handed pitching?

I don't disagree that there are limited options, Strad, but I guess my problem is we KNOW Aybar isn't very effective there. He's had a ton of chances there and never really done well in that role. Cowgill at least has shown he can be somewhat successful in that role.

It's a philosophical thing - there's very little about Aybar's game that makes him suited for that role, and yet apparently because he has decent speed Scioscia thinks that makes him a good leadoff hitter. Personally, I want a guy that has good ABs, makes adjustments from AB to AB, is patient, is a good baserunner (not just fast) , and gets on base. And Cowgill comes much closer to fulfilling those requirements than Aybar does.

yeah, I think you're probably right. Honestly, the Aybar/leadoff thing is just a pet peeve of mine. I don't let most of what MS does bother me, because I figure he's forgotten more about baseball than I'll ever know, but that one is just illogical to me.

With Aybar he doesn't look at stats he looks at attributes would be my guess. He has speed, handles the bat well, can bunt, doesn't strike out much and has a little pop. So when someone says Gio would make a better leadoff hitter my question would be does he do those things. The jury is still out. Being a limited athletic guy myself who grew up a little smaller than the guys I competed against, I love to see a guy like Gio come up and do well.