• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blackwater Guards Sentenced to Jail

Should have never happened.

Seriously!

We should pass a new law (because God knows we need more laws) that says anytime we go to war, it automatically triggers a draft.  Americans will start paying a lot more attention if they know people they love might actually be pulled into it.  

Seriously!

We should pass a new law (because God knows we need more laws) that says anytime we go to war, it automatically triggers a draft.  Americans will start paying a lot more attention if they know people they love might actually be pulled into it.  

That's one of those things that may sound good in theory but would be terrible in practice.  Like most everything in this country that would impact the middle class and below the most, kind of like Vietnam.  Meanwhile those with money and means would be more likely to find a way to keep their kids from going to war or even if they end up in the service working in a secure building somewhere miles from any threat.  

That's one of those things that may sound good in theory but would be terrible in practice.  Like most everything in this country that would impact the middle class and below the most, kind of like Vietnam.  Meanwhile those with money and means would be more likely to find a way to keep their kids from going to war or even if they end up in the service working in a secure building somewhere miles from any threat.  

So basically just the way it is now.

I get that the rich and well connected will always find a way to weasel out of things like this.  But that's happening now.  Having a draft puts skin in the game for folks that would never otherwise.  By the way, that includes my three boys.  It's not that I want us to have a draft.  It's that I want us, as a people, to be more aware and invested when our country goes to war.  Hopefully this awareness will prevent us from going into situations that we shouldn't.

But I know it won't. 

I get that the rich and well connected will always find a way to weasel out of things like this.  But that's happening now.  Having a draft puts skin in the game for folks that would never otherwise.  By the way, that includes my three boys.  It's not that I want us to have a draft.  It's that I want us, as a people, to be more aware and invested when our country goes to war.  Hopefully this awareness will prevent us from going into situations that we shouldn't.

But I know it won't. 

No way.  The draft is just one more way to take away rights.  "We demand that you give us the right to kidnap you, torture you for several weeks and then send you to kill other people or you will go to jail".

This is the opposite direction of where we should be going as a country.  Besides, as it has been pointed out, the only people who suffer from this lack of choice is poor and middle class.

Screw that.

So basically just the way it is now.

Yeah except currently we don't have a draft where people are forced into military service where they end up in some godforsaken place trying to kill and not be killed by someone they've never met and likely don't have a problem with.  I've got nothing but the utmost respect for our service men and women but they choose to enlist and know that with that comes doing whatever they're told.  That's a far cry from implementing a draft.  

i'm not sure what would trigger another draft. we're all extremely worn out and tired of foreign wars, but what if it's WW3? remember how patriotic everyone was after 9/11? lots of people joined the military after the attacks and there were US flags everywhere. patriotism is plentiful here.

i think if someone invaded the US, i think we'd tend to see more of a "Wolverines!" kind of approach by private citizens.

This is the opposite direction of where we should be going as a country.  Besides, as it has been pointed out, the only people who suffer from this lack of choice is poor and middle class.

My father, who was career military, always said "It's a rich man's war and a poor man's fight." He was dead on.

I get that but where they even paying much attention to them? I agree that this is something that never should have happened

These guys basically operated without any rules or oversight, and they were paid mercenaries. This result was pretty predictable.