• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where Should Mike Trout Hit in the Lineup

Chuck

Where should Mike Trout bat in the lineup?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you slot Mike Trout in the lineup?

• Leadoff
    • Second
    • Third

Ya, my point was that Trout should be leading off because none of the alternatives are appealing.

I was focusing on Aybar because the early indications seem to be that Aybar is hitting leadoff again(there's something about the definition of insanity that goes here) once he's healthy.

I think the decision has already been made ... Trout will be batting second with Aybar leading off when he gets back. You'll see Trout batting second tonight is my guess.

Trout should be the leadoff batter.....

Mark68..... I hope that you were kidding about Ianetta being leadoff? Last thing you need is Trout being stuck behind Ianetta on the bases. Trout would never steal another base again.

Nope, I don't think he was kidding. The question is are you? How many times will they both be on base at the SAME time. One with a .350 OBP and the other with maybe a .380 OBP. The both get on 3.5 times per ten ABs. So one of every 4 times they are on base together. Of those times how's by times will trout get an XBH that he could turn into a triple? 1 in 10? So about 2.5% of the time Iannetta COULD get in his way and for that you'll accept more outs, lower OBP with more ABs by leading off, in your lineup? Really?! I'll take fewer outs please.

Additionally, for those who preach protection or the threat of Trout stealing giving hitters behind him better pitches read this quote: ""I don't think a team is going to worry about stopping the stolen base as much as getting Josh out," Scioscia said. "You can take advantage by stealing a base on an off-speed pitch, but they're going to pitch Josh how they need to pitch him. If you try to stop the stolen base you might have the ball hit in the stands."" Even if you don't like Scioscia you have to admit this is true. I'm sure he knows better than we do.

Trout should be the leadoff batter.....

Mark68..... I hope that you were kidding about Ianetta being leadoff? Last thing you need is Trout being stuck behind Ianetta on the bases. Trout would never steal another base again.

Nope. Not kidding. I'm not worried about Iannetta clogging the bases. I'm worried about getting ON base. And for this, Iannetta has a talent. You're assuming that every time Iannetta gets on base with a walk or a single, he's going to block Trout because HE'S going to get on, too. Just won't happen often enough for this to be a true concern. I want Iannetta and his career .350 OBP hitting near the top of the lineup, and Trout is actually best suited to hit second, due to his power, which gets wasted much of the time leading off. Besides, he is the best overall hitter on this team, and that's the guy you need hitting second.

Your both ridiculous if you believe that Ianetta should be leadoff. I wonder how many times he has hit leadoff in his career. Probably never because it makes zero sense.

Why does it make zero sense? Just because it's not "conventional wisdom" doesn't make it stupid.

Scioscia likes "conventional wisdom". That's working out well for us.

It's really tough for me to go against placing Trout as the lead-off hitter as he's proven to succeed in that spot. He has enough plate discipline to get deep into counts and draw walks, and his base speed adds pressure to the pitchers going up against our second and third hitters. Although he does have the power to hit in men on base, I still think he helps the team the most as our lead-off guy. 

In an ideal future, maybe Bourjous can mature as a consistent hitter and take up the mantle. He provides the speed that Callaspo lacks and can hopefully develop the plate discipline that Aybar will never show. As for Aybar, I believe he would be best served as a #2 hitter if you're going to place him that high up on the order. 

He wasn't hitting much in the leadoff spot, either.

He was hitting a lot better than he's "hit" the last two games. Of course my comment/reason for wanting him to bat leadoff isn't based on his lack of production over the last two game. I think he's better suited to leadoff and I think he'll help the team more in the leadoff spot.