• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where Should Mike Trout Hit in the Lineup

Chuck

Where should Mike Trout bat in the lineup?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you slot Mike Trout in the lineup?

• Leadoff
    • Second
    • Third

I prefer leadoff, but perhaps he's best served batting 3rd once Aybar comes back. 

How about this alignment..

SS Aybar

3B Callaspo

LF Trout

1B Pujols

RF Hamilton

2B Kendrick

DH Trumbo

C  Conger/Iannetta

CF Bourjos

I like him Third IF the first two in the line up can get on base. He's proven he can get on base, but those that come after him have left him high and dry so far. Get a couple RISP and have Trout work his Trout magic and bring them in for some much needed runs.

Why would Hamilton bat 2nd? He swings at the first pitch almost every at bat. I know Aybar does too but at least Aybar could possibly beat out a double play. I'd really like to see Trout lead off and Bourjos eventually hit 2nd. He strikes out a lot but he'd beat out a weak ground ball and then hopefully score on a Pujols xbh. Just my opinion.

Trout should hit lead off... and it shouldn't stop there - he should be the first one on the bus for road trips, first one in the dugout each day, first one to call it a night, first one up in the morning, etc.  Good things happen when he's leading off and playing well. 

Why would Hamilton bat 2nd? He swings at the first pitch almost every at bat. I know Aybar does too but at least Aybar could possibly beat out a double play. I'd really like to see Trout lead off and Bourjos eventually hit 2nd. He strikes out a lot but he'd beat out a weak ground ball and then hopefully score on a Pujols xbh. Just my opinion.

To get more fastballs in front of Pujols.

I completely hate the idea of Aybar leading off. I don't mind Trout at number 2, but prefer him leading off.

Ya, I like Aybar just fine, but the team's insistence on making him a leadoff hitter is bizarre.

He's 29 years old, he has a career .320 OBP. Stop trying to make him something he isn't.

Ya, I like Aybar just fine, but the team's insistence on making him a leadoff hitter is bizarre.

He's 29 years old, he has a career .320 OBP. Stop trying to make him something he isn't.

If I had to choose between Callaspo and Aybar ... then Aybar would be my choice. There difference between OBP in minimal ... I'll take the speed and base stealing ability over Callaspo any day.

The only other candidate would be Bourjos but he needs to put a solid two months Ab's first. I still like Trout leading off.

Ya, my point was that Trout should be leading off because none of the alternatives are appealing.

I was focusing on Aybar because the early indications seem to be that Aybar is hitting leadoff again(there's something about the definition of insanity that goes here) once he's healthy.

According to research in "The Book" on lineup optimization the best hitter should bat second. This is because the situations a #2 hitter are in compared to a #3 hitter are better and a #2 hitter comes to bat more often. A #3 hitter comes to bat with 2 outs and nobody on frequently. This is the reason why the second best hitter should bat fourth. The #4 hitter comes to bat in higher leverage situations than the #3 hitter, think 1 on and 2 out in first inning. The middle of my order would be Trout, Hamilton, Pujols.

We dont have any good leadoff options right now. Maybe Bourjos could fit. The only real thing a leadoff hitter needs to do is get on base safely by walk or hit. It is equal for a leadoff guy. Speed doesn't really matter because the guys behind him are power hitters and as long as he isn't a total base clogger you're fine. Speed only is a big advantage in front of singles hitters. Right now Callaspo and Bourjos have the best OBP apart from the big 3. I'd put one of them first, probably Callaspo until Peter proves himself more. Tonight I'd try Peter because Callaspo is out.

My lineup with all healthy:

Callaspo

Trout

Hamilton

Pujols

Trumbo

Kendrick

Bourjos

Iannetta

Aybar

Tonight:

Bourjos

Trout

Hamilton

Pujols

Trumbo

Kendrick

Iannetta

Jimenez

Harris

I know this is not conventional wisdom, but don't worry, any reasonable lineup isn't that much better than any other lineup. No biggie

Iannetta C

Trout LF

Pujols 1B

Hamilton RF

Trumbo DH

Kendrick 2B

Callaspo 3B

Aybar SS

Bourjos CF

Puts our top 5 OBP guys in the first 5 slots, also stretches the lineup, gives Bourjos a chance to be a leadoff-type hitter from the 9 slot.

You don't have to have speed to hit leadoff, you just need to get on base somehow. Iannetta has done that throughout his career. Trout 2nd because he has the power to be a big run-producer, but can get on base in front of the boppers. And hitting in front of Pujols should benefit him.