• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels 2015 Daily Prospect Stat-lines

Chuck

No, not really.  Scioscia's pretty smart when it comes to placing an emphasis on the personal relationship between a catcher and the pitching staff and Chris is particularly well-suited for that.  But that doesn't necessarily make him valuable to another team, so much that you'd want to trade him.  But personally, I'd say both Perez and Bandy are just plain better than him right now.  When Iannetta starts hitting, then you can tolerate the weaknesses on the defensive side, but given Bandy and Perez's ability behind the plate, I'd ask why you'd even need to.  Slot Iannetta in at DH, backup catcher and even have him train up at 1B.  His bat would keep him in a lineup, but the Angels could do that without sacrificing defense at the most important position in the field. 

Freese is playing an acceptable 3B so far. His defense isn't good, it may not even be average, but it's just good enough. Offensively, he's much better right now than he was this time last season. Meanwhile, Kubitza is crushing AAA pitching, but we kind of already figured he'd do that. But he's struggling in the field so far. His lateral movement is fine but he's not cleanly fielding as many grounders as he needs to. Coming in on weak grounders/bunts is his big weakness right now and teams are trying to expose that, with some success. Kubitza's arm is already quite good. But there's more to this game that hitting and throwing, you have to be able to field the ball consistently, especially at 3B, Kubitza just isn't ready defensively yet. He needs this time in AAA. If the Angels need offense and aren't caring about the glove, then they need to promote a Grant Green immediately.

As for Iannetta, he calls a good game and works all the pitchers really well. A really intelligent ball player. But his lack of framing ability, limited defense skill set and considerable weakness throwing runners out have made the Angels quite vulnerable with runners on. The fact is, he isn't the sort of catcher you play everyday. He's a platoon guy.

Now I get what the Angels are trying to do. Butera's a good defensive catcher usually, and they're trying to buy time to allow Carlos Perez and Jett Bandy to develop further, but it isn't working out as they planned. Iannetta's a black hole both offensively and defensively, and Butera's a black hole offensively. No matter what the Angels do, they're rolling someone out there that's handicapping the team.

Perez and Bandy are both better right now than either option in the majors. Iannetta's useless until his bat comes alive and Butera gives the Angels nothing more than either Bandy or Perez. With Perez, the Angels will have a top notch defensive catcher that's great at making contact and willing to take a walk. In Bandy they have a very good defensive catcher with power and patience.

If it were me, this would be a no-brainer. Cut Butera loose, promote Perez. Send down Cron and Navarro, promote Green and Bandy.

Cowgill would stay in LF until Joyce starts hitting, Perez/Bandy take over the catching duties until Iannetta starts hitting (then demote one and have the other split time), Grant Green is the DH until Joyce-Cron starts hitting.

Use your AAA players right now. Many are outplaying their major league counterparts.

Yeesh, Green DH'ing. Is this what the season has come down to this early?

No, not really.  Scioscia's pretty smart when it comes to placing an emphasis on the personal relationship between a catcher and the pitching staff and Chris is particularly well-suited for that.  But that doesn't necessarily make him valuable to another team, so much that you'd want to trade him.  But personally, I'd say both Perez and Bandy are just plain better than him right now.  When Iannetta starts hitting, then you can tolerate the weaknesses on the defensive side, but given Bandy and Perez's ability behind the plate, I'd ask why you'd even need to.  Slot Iannetta in at DH, backup catcher and even have him train up at 1B.  His bat would keep him in a lineup, but the Angels could do that without sacrificing defense at the most important position in the field. 

Yeeeees, this. Iannetta could slide into the DH spot, people are overreacting by his slow start. His bat holds value. Perez and Bandy catch, Iannetta DH's and spells Pujols at first, defense gets a lot better. Seemingly easy fix, left field and third on the other hand...

Yeeeees, this. Iannetta could slide into the DH spot, people are overreacting by his slow start. His bat holds value. Perez and Bandy catch, Iannetta DH's and spells Pujols at first, defense gets a lot better. Seemingly easy fix, left field and third on the other hand...

I don't consider 3B a problem.  David Freese isn't bad there.  I think by the end of the year, we'll be left saying he's an above average 3B, and I still think that merits 50 million in free agency, after seeing what Chase Headley got.  But the Angels won't need to pay it, they'll collect the draft pick and turn to Kubitza next year. 

LF on the other hand could be interesting.  I'm convinced you can't put Joyce out there, he's embarrassingly bad.  You can put Green out there if you are only expecting average defense and a decent bat.  Hamilton, who knows.  Navarro, just no.  The best option, I'm sorry to say, might be Cowgill.  At least he gives the Angels plus defense and can run the bases reasonably well. It isn't worhty of being a starter but it may be the least bad option, unless Green's hitting in which case he's the best option. 

I don't consider 3B a problem.  David Freese isn't bad there.  I think by the end of the year, we'll be left saying he's an above average 3B, and I still think that merits 50 million in free agency, after seeing what Chase Headley got.  But the Angels won't need to pay it, they'll collect the draft pick and turn to Kubitza next year. 

LF on the other hand could be interesting.  I'm convinced you can't put Joyce out there, he's embarrassingly bad.  You can put Green out there if you are only expecting average defense and a decent bat.  Hamilton, who knows.  Navarro, just no.  The best option, I'm sorry to say, might be Cowgill.  At least he gives the Angels plus defense and can run the bases reasonably well. It isn't worhty of being a starter but it may be the least bad option, unless Green's hitting in which case he's the best option. 

Left field will probably be the biggest need at the deadline and they're gonna have to get creative. If Oakland falls out of contention, Zobrist would be a nice addition. Smith from Seattle, Victorino/Nava from Boston, Peralta from Arizona, and maybe someone on the Dodgers could all make sense too. 

Also, I'm cutting Baldoquin a little slack. New country, new language, new teammates, new level of play, new expectations. I mean for gosh sakes, Moncada hasn't even started playing minor league games yet.

Roberto's getting a freebie this whole year as far as I'm concerned. Let him start experiencing things for the 2nd or 3rd time before judging too critically.

I was reading somewhere where they were interviewing the Inland Empires manager and they asked about Baldoquin's early struggles. Some interesting stuff, said he was raw and an introvert at first, but he's coming out of his shell a little bit, still getting comfortable. They're working with him and his footwork at shortstop, I think this is just part of the transition, he's finally getting some professional coaching and having to make the adjustments. Just gotta continue to wait and see. 

DeLoach in his AAA debut, 7IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5Ks

I dedicated a thread to him in the farm forum. The book on the guy is that he doesn't have the stuff to be a major league starter yet he not only keep doing well at each level, but he's actually be dominant for quite a period of time.