• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upton AND Kimbrel to Padres!!

I can see the argument its too much added salary, but the pads definetely look like theyre gonna be tough. Like scotty said, their offense at worst should be average now (up from horrible). Their pitching was already very good, and now they have a pretty nasty pen to back it up.

I think at worst theyre gonna be a thorn in the side for the dodgers. Dodgers might still be the better team, but id say its a hell of a lot closer than people think

lol, most people who know what they're talking about have panned this trade and feel the padres got fleeced. They're giving away prospects and taking on expensive multi year deals for a team that might be a wild card berth, at best. If most everything goes right, which it wont.

but I dont know what I'm talking about

lol, most people who know what they're talking about have panned this trade and feel the padres got fleeced. They're giving away prospects and taking on expensive multi year deals for a team that might be a wild card berth, at best. If most everything goes right, which it wont.

but I dont know what I'm talking about

i don't give a squirt about the padres, but i love how the padres are a "wild card team at best." what are the angels? the padres have improved their team tremendously and are fielding a better than average mlb team. that gives them as good and realistic a chance as any other contender.

Actually you and your select group don't.

You can't constantly being thinking about what minor league talent you have when a window of opportunity arises. The Padres have a core now that can be competitive for the next 3 years and adding a lights out closer means no games will slip away from them.

Games that they will win that they never had a chance to because their lineup included Maybin (career .673 OPS) and 31 year old Quentin  that completed faded away after his roid needle was removed from his ass. Payroll for the Padres is still at a very manageable level, $70+ million under the cap. 

Their minor league wasn't raped, they lost Wisler that has nothing in his minor league career that says better than replacement value and Jordon WhoDa**** that spent his entire 20 year old season in Rookie ball. That is at best a 4 year project that has zero impact for the Padres. 

Kinbrel's talent far exceeds two nobodies from the minors like Street was far more valuable to the Angels than the Rondons they spent on him. IT is really about can you compete this season because that is what drives people to the gate and their butts in front of the tv. Not if your team has some minor league ranking system better than the second to last place team that will draft behind yours. 

Edited by notti

Great deal for both sides I think. The Braves future rotation just got deeper, their OF got more athletic, and they're wagering that a strong first half from Quentin may allow the Braves more value from an AL team at the trade deadline.

As for the Padres, they added a shutdown closer and took on money.

Quentin is DFA

You don't now what you are talking about. Maybin is a throw away along with Quentin. Upton is also a throw away considering their payroll ceiling is no where near maxed out and they can dump him without thinking twice about eating the cost. Their whole intent was a top of the line closer under club control after getting their fair share of future Rondons for Street last season. They added all of $8 million to their payroll for 2015 when all the dust settled.

Enron accounting.

someone said it very well, AJ preller is a "fantasy GM.". Just making trades and accumulating "names" with no fit or context to his team. There's no real plan or smart execution its just"oh this guy might be good, or this guy was good 3 years ago" and hoping it all doesn't come crumbling down like the house of cards it is.

what if the padres miss the playoffs? They've increased their payroll, taken on a few really bad contracts, and traded away decent mlb talent AND prospects for this desperate leap at relevancy. Its not smart team or franchise building. This is the Tony reagins way of running a ball club

The Dodgers are winning the west but the Giants, Rockies, and Dbacks will probably suck. The Nats are winning the east and the Marlins are the only other team in that division that might not suck. The Cards and Pirates are probably going to the playoffs in the central but that still leaves one wild card up for grabs and only a few teams with any chance of it. They're not relying on a bunch of rookies like the Cubs so that's got to help. 

not a bad deal for either team.

Padres get closer help now and the price for that is Kimbrel's contact plus Upton's contract which they are now stuck with.

they trade away two back up OF'ers who were going to complain all season about playing time and now they have both Uptons to complain in stereo.

Braves lose Kimbrel a season or two too soon rather than a season too late and it will hurt them this season, no doubt.

Looks like Braves are clearing salary room to re-build a bit..........

Padres need to win NOW.