• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How exactly has Scioscia screwed up?

I mean, as far as the line-up, he's pretty much had the line-ups that I would have had if I were manager. 

The Bullpen, has been up and down, which isn't completely surprising as most pitchers are still trying to get situated and settled down.  The beginning of the season, a manager's trying to learn who are his reliable arms, and pretty much everyone's screwed up with the exception of Fieri (hard to screw up when he's had only a total of 1 save opportunity), Burnett, and Garrett Richards (who is now a starter).  How can Mike really manage, when he doesn't have too many reliable options at this point?

The Starters, have put up 3 quality starts in 8 tries (37.5%).  Of those 3 quality starts have come 2 of the Halos only victories.  This is the main culprit, but again, he doesn't have too many reliable options now, especially with the injury to Weaver. 

All I'm saying is that I honestly don't believe any other manager out there would have a better record at this point in the season when you're getting the kinds of performances as this group has given.  So, it's hard to put this on Mike.  This is ALL on the players not performing.  And, Scioscia doesn't sign or trade for players.  The players have to take a good look in the mirror and decide that they want to play to win. 

Not all of the team's problems are on Scioscia but maybe something about his managerial style isn't motivating and preparing the players in April. he's the longest tenured coach in MLB and they are just getting worse every year while spending more. Sometimes change rejuvenates. ultimately someone has to held accountable for the mediocrity or Arte just accepts it. In Scioscia's defense, there is nothing that he nor Butcher can do with the pitching staff. They are what they are.

A man last evening on another Angels site (Halo Nation) complained that when the starter is pulled, Scioscia quits.

The surprising thing to me is how could you reach that conclusion?  Has Scioscia ever walked back into the clubhouse and told the bench coach, it is all for him now?

So people are going to complain about Scioscia for the weather, the relief pitching and Josh Hamilton swinging at the first pitch.

Napoli-Mathis situation, Trumbo-Wells situation, bullpen/pitching change management, players do not perform to expectations under him, lack of intensity from the outsider's view, questionable bunt strategies, questionable lineups last year, lack of willingness to bench veterans, stubbornness to change, slow starts, missing the playoffs the last three years, and no leftover lasagna.

It is not just because of this year. It is a culmination of the years prior as well as another poor start this year. 

When the Angels struggle, Scioscia is the worst manager ever.

When the Angels go on a hot streak, people stop talking about Scioscia.

Most of the outrage on this forum is reactionary.

This is just flat out not true. People have been complaining about Scioscia consistently the last 2+ years. 

Not all of the team's problems are on Scioscia but maybe something about his managerial style isn't motivating and preparing the players in April. he's the longest tenured coach in MLB and they are just getting worse every year while spending more. Sometimes change rejuvenates. ultimately someone has to held accountable for the mediocrity or Arte just accepts it. In Scioscia's defense, there is nothing that he nor Butcher can do with the pitching staff. They are what they are.

yup.

i dont agree with the OP.  To say that any other manager will have an identical record is just as crazy as saying it might be different. 

The Angels are getting their hits…it might be little decisions as when to bunt or which match ups should take place.  All I know is that we’ve under achieved for the past 3 years and it’s definitely not JUST the players ESPECIALLY when everyone and their mom has the Angels going to the World Series.

This team has struggled with situational hitting (and running) for what, eight years now?  Not only that, the players we had eight years ago are totally different than the ones we have now. 

The problem shouldn't be carrying over to newer generations of Angels hitters like it has.  This suggests an organizational problem caused by a management problem and since nearly everybody has been fired except Scioscia, why does he deserve a pass?

It's like our failing school system.  Kids are graduating from high school dumb as ever, year after year, but according to the teacher's unions, the teachers are never to blame. 

Except players and team don't generally under perform

How many years have the Angels been shut out of the playoffs? How many times were they simply shut out last year? What is there record so far? What is Hamilton's batting average? How many batting titles has Kendrick won? How well did the can't miss prospects like Mathis and Wood do? How is that not players and team underperforming?

Scioscia started to lose it in 2008, the squeeze attempt in the 2008 ALDS is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in baseball.  The Mathis infatuation was nuts as well, and his bullpen management skills got worse and his lineup tinkering.  His loyalty to veteran players probably cost us a playoff spot last year, playing Abreu/Wells over Trumbo was ludicrous and cost us wins.  His bullpen management was terrible last year as well, I remember one game he brought in Scott Downs (who was on fire as the time) and he threw 4 pitches, and Scioscia did not bring him back out for the next inning.  Takashitty came in, game over.  He's done plenty of things like this in the last few years.  Last night his bullpen management cost us as well.  Why not bring in Jerome Williams for the 6th inning, or at least bring him in when Lowe was in trouble?  Why bring in a scrub nobody's ever heard of?  Also, why pull Downs on Tuesday when he was cruising and had gotten 2 straight outs, yet leave in an erratic Jepsen?  Scioscia has lost the fire he once had as well.  He didn't used to be so stoic, he used to have a lot more energy and not just sit in that same damn spot every game with that bored look on his face.  Scioscia is a guy who has gotten too comfortable and complacent, he gave us some great years but it's time to move on.  It's unacceptable for a team on this level to miss the playoffs for 3 straight years and it's time the manager is held accountable.