• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels Notes: Efren Navarro working on OF play, loophole for Josh Hamilton, Chris Iannetta at DH

AngelsWin.com

It's actually a very interesting article. Navarro's sort of a unique player. He was promoted through the minors based largely off his glove, which is elite at 1B. But as he made it up to AA and AAA, he's begun to really hit for average. He even had a nice run last year where he actually resembled an everyday major leaguer. Knut in reality, there isn't any extra base pop, he's a solid but not great defender in the corner OF and ge doesn't offer additional speed on the bases. If he makes the roster, you keep him solely because he's left handed and will put the ball in play. It's a very specialized skill set.

And Yarbrough, I like that they're working him out at 1B, 3B and LF, but I'm just not sure I see the point. There are a half dozen players you'd put at 1B over him, another few in LF and Kubitza at 3B. I just don't see him being a utility infielder. He's a starting 2B where you accept his strengths and weaknesses. Will definitely hit for average with solid gap power and speed. Will not gave a great OBP, despite being a switch hitter won't be as good with lefties. Should be an average major league 2 B in terms of value. Just not sure I see the utility in 1B and LF.

It's actually a very interesting article. Navarro's sort of a unique player. He was promoted through the minors based largely off his glove, which is elite at 1B. But as he made it up to AA and AAA, he's begun to really hit for average. He even had a nice run last year where he actually resembled an everyday major leaguer. Knut in reality, there isn't any extra base pop, he's a solid but not great defender in the corner OF and ge doesn't offer additional speed on the bases. If he makes the roster, you keep him solely because he's left handed and will put the ball in play. It's a very specialized skill set.

And Yarbrough, I like that they're working him out at 1B, 3B and LF, but I'm just not sure I see the point. There are a half dozen players you'd put at 1B over him, another few in LF and Kubitza at 3B. I just don't see him being a utility infielder. He's a starting 2B where you accept his strengths and weaknesses. Will definitely hit for average with solid gap power and speed. Will not gave a great OBP, despite being a switch hitter won't be as good with lefties. Should be an average major league 2 B in terms of value. Just not sure I see the utility in 1B and LF.

to me, it means one of two things for Yarborough.  They either think his bat is really good and want to expand his versatility to get it into the lineup or they don't see him sticking as an everyday 2bman and are starting to transition him to a utility guy.  

to me, it means one of two things for Yarborough.  They either think his bat is really good and want to expand his versatility to get it into the lineup or they don't see him sticking as an everyday 2bman and are starting to transition him to a utility guy.  

The Angels are really high  on his defense actually.  Everyone I've talked to and read says that he's a hard-worker and has grown into a solid defensive 2B.  I honestly think the Angels are just covering their bases here just in case.  If Rutledge, Green or Featherston make a run of it at 2B I think they'll explore other options to get Yarbrough's bat into the lineup.  I won't call it a difference maker but I will say it won't disappoint. 

In another thread you say we don't have much coming up in LF for a few years and now you say this. I don't know what to believe

We don't have much coming in LF, but the options that are there seem better suited for the position than Yarbrough.  I mean there's a lot of doomsdayers out there but the reality with the Hamilton situation is that he'll likely be back in the Angels lineup in June/July.  Behind him there's Cowgill and Joyce.  You also have to figure that if Green's not starting at 2B, he'll be an option for LF too because he didn't look half bad out there.  Then the Angels have a couple of no-names who actually aren't that bad, namely Alfredo Marte.  

Further down the line you have Hinshaw and Way, both of which I like, but both of which I also can see being 4th OF's instead of starters, depending on how things go in AA for each. 

I just think the only scenario in which Yarbrough ends up being the Angels LF is if Grant Green wins the 2B job and really runs with it, Josh Hamilton call sit quits for now, the Angels don't go out and acquire anyone, Matt Joyce gets hurt and Collin Cowgill tanks it.  That's a lot that has to happen. 

I asked Dipoto about this today. He said basically they still see him as a second baseman, but his bat is ahead of his glove so they want to explore every way he could get into a lineup rather than pigeonholing him.

Also said he still has a very small chance of winning the 2B job right now. Otherwise will play mostly 2B at AAA, but will still move around down there.