• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trevor Bell Tweet

TEvans

Trevor Bell is to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Trevor Bell is an ass clown deluxe. Most AAA pitching staffs have a large amount of career minor leaguers who take their job very seriously. A lot of them have come to realize they are not going to pitch in the major leagues but they want to keep their AAA jobs for as long as possible. Playing baseball for a living at AAA is still a pretty sweet job. So while most of the guys in the pen would be talking about pitching or the hitters they might face later in the game, Bell would be doing his best to earn a spot on the cast of Animal House. I remember one time someone telling him to shut up and watch the game. I know a lot of Angels fans and a lot of you here who are latching on to this because Scioscia has fallen out of favor, but Trevor Bell isn't credible. If Sean O'Sullivan, Daniel Davidson, or Barrett Browning had said it I would give it some weight. These guys worked their ass off to try and succeed. Whatever their failures, none of them could be contributed to a lack of dedication and hard work. On the other hand, in my opinion of Trevor Bell, he is a spoiled brat who for the first time in his life had to work for something.

One more thing, in all the seasons my rep for the Bees would sit in the bullpen, he did not hear a single negative comment about Scioscia.

* This is my summary of information I received from individuals this morning (after the Tweet was posted) who were very close to these guys over the years in Salt Lake. I went into this thinking it could be taken into consideration, but not after this information was made privy to me. 

Hate on Scioscia all you want, but at the end of the day the bullpen needs to shut down the opposition and our high priced players need to perform, especially when you're hitting well below the mendoza line with RISP. 

Oh and for the record, I'm not a Scioscia apologist. I get as bothered by some of his managerial decisions (or lack thereof) like the rest of you. But what I'm not cool with is pinning the blame on this start on him, or Dipoto for that matter.

well, the OP alluded to others having the same feelings. but that's cool Scioscia apologists, just ignore whatever you need to ignore.

Who apologized? Taking into account the source of a criticism is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

but with all due respect Chuck, it sounds like your SLC source is an employee of the team, and thus indirectly an employee of the Angels.  Sounds a bit like damage control to me, blasting Bell's credibility.

and for those calling for MS to be fired - I think even they would admit it's not (just) because of in-game tactical decisions.  Managers rarely, if ever (see Washington, Ron), get fired for that.  At the end of the day, the manager is responsible for the results on the field, fair or not.  

but with all due respect Chuck, it sounds like your SLC source is an employee of the team, and thus indirectly an employee of the Angels.  Sounds a bit like damage control to me, blasting Bell's credibility.

and for those calling for MS to be fired - I think even they would admit it's not (just) because of in-game tactical decisions.  Managers rarely, if ever (see Washington, Ron), get fired for that.  At the end of the day, the manager is responsible for the results on the field, fair or not.  

Nope. None of these guys work for the Angels. In fact, the Bees are a separate entity, not owned or run by the Angels. 

Nope. None of these guys work for the Angels. In fact, the Bees are a separate entity, not owned or run by the Angels. 

Got it. I don't doubt that Bell is a grade A jackass, but as guy who played for MS and I'm sure still has friends on the Angels, I think his comment has some value.

If the Angels are still playing like shit in May, or miss the postseason, Scioscia will be fired regardless of what the apologists say.

He may. But let's not be hippies and protest with picket signs on this website until it happens. 

But if you must, do it in the Season Over, Fire Everybody | Gameday Bitch Thread

At this point it's rather irrelevant to me whether Mike Scioscia should get fired or not.  When players with these credentials play like this there is not a manager on this planet who will get them to win.  It's pretty easy to blame just about anyone in this organization for this start, including DiPoto, Scioscia, the coaches, and virtually all of the players.  I might even be inclined to blame Arte for meddling with the construction of the players on the team (even though he has every right to do so).  I could even blame the fans for constantly crying about certain players, and wanting changes to be made every fifteen minutes, eliminating any consistency or stability.

The organization will get to the firing, trading, releasing stuff soon enough (probably real soon at this rate).  Until then I don't plan to let it eliminate my interest in baseball, or snuff out any hope that this team as currently constructed can find answers to their problems. 

Got it. I don't doubt that Bell is a grade A jackass, but as guy who played for MS and I'm sure still has friends on the Angels, I think his comment has some value.

I see it more like, dude is bitter he got cut and he's trying to place the blame on someone still there. 

He's from the OC and the team he grew up rooting for was the Angels. I'm sure there's some deep wounds there and thus, his passive aggressive tweet. 

If the Angels are still playing like shit in May, or miss the postseason, Scioscia will be fired regardless of what the apologists say.

FF, I respect your posts, but you really do yourself a disservice by using the term "apologist"

All that does is take away from the point of your post and puts it on those who do not agree

with your opinion. (which I don't necessarily disagree with)

Scioscia needs to stop choking every time he comes to bat with runners in scoring position.

Scioscia needs to stop putting the two biggest chokers and rally killers in the 4 and 5 position.

How many men on base with no outs rallys do they need to kill off to change things up?

Scioscia needs to stop choking every time he comes to bat with runners in scoring position.

i hear what you're saying, and of course it's not directly MS's fault that the hitters are choking in the clutch or that our bullpen can't hold leads.  BUT, when a group of players consistently under-perform, you have to look at the top, whether it's fair or not.  It doesn't mean MS is a crappy manager - sometimes a relationship has just run its course.

FF, I respect your posts, but you really do yourself a disservice by using the term "apologist"

All that does is take away from the point of your post and puts it on those who do not agree

with your opinion. (which I don't necessarily disagree with)

Right on Lou!  It totally undercuts his posts.

I love the notion that if you don't agree with the haters then you are an apologist. It has gotten to the point where I don't even want to point out when Scioscia makes mistakes, mainly because I don't want to agree with the lowest form of fan, the one that has to blame the manager every time a player under performs, the one that feels wronged by bad decisions. It's baseball, one bad decision usually doesn't cost you a game, especially not a game where you left 13 runners on base and hit into two double plays.

As far as the validity of this opinion, well it has more merit than any of us have, but considering the source its at least iffy. How many players have played for Scioscia the last 15 seasons? Which ones come out against him? Well, we have Jose Guillen, Mike Napoli, and Trevor Bell. I am sure there are more but of those three I give credence to Napoli, and that's about it. A handful of guys out of the 100 or so ex players, not bad. I am sure any of us who have managed people in the past would be more than happy having 95%+ satisfaction rating from our employees/team mates.

Scioscia needs to stop putting the two biggest chokers and rally killers in the 4 and 5 position.

How many men on base with no outs rallys do they need to kill off to change things up?

The lineup argument will always be an enigma when it comes to MS. When he keeps changing up the lineup, we b*tch and moan about it. When he doesn't change the lineup, we b*tch and moan about it.

I am not sure who else should be hitting in the 4th and 5th spots in the order. I can see switching Pujols and Hamilton, but then who hits 5th? Kendrick? Are we all forgetting last season? The point is no one on this team is getting the job done when there are runners in scoring position. Mike can play musical lineups all he wants but it won't change the fact that the hitters themselves have to go up there and do their job.

i hear what you're saying, and of course it's not directly MS's fault that the hitters are choking in the clutch or that our bullpen can't hold leads.  BUT, when a group of players consistently under-perform, you have to look at the top, whether it's fair or not.  It doesn't mean MS is a crappy manager - sometimes a relationship has just run its course.

I agree.

This is not, however, the approach most people are taking with Mike Scioscia. People will place the sole blame on him for every shortcoming, yet won't give him credit for any positives.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but former Angels system pitcher Trevor Bell had an interesting tweet after last nights game:

https://twitter.com/trevbe22/status/322278523811278849

Living in Utah, I attend many SL Bees games each season. I always sit in seats directly behind home plate. These seats are not sold, but rather are given to family members of the players. There is always plenty of open seats in this area so I always sit in one of the extra seats. I will often get into an interesting conversation with wives, girlfriends, parents, or siblings of players. Most of the time, they say the player they know shares the same feelings toward MS as Trevor Bell did here.

Now, keep in mind these are guys arguably one step from the show, so it can be easy to be frustrated with the manager who is perceived as being the only thing stopping them from playing in the bigs. But, Scoscia's over-managing style only works when his players buy into it/him with full support (see SF Giants.)

That is all, carry on.

Yea, because Scioscia is telling his hitters to strike out or ground into double plays with bases loaded and his God awful bullpen to give up 5 runs in 5 minutes right? Get a clue. 

I love the notion that if you don't agree with the haters then you are an apologist. It has gotten to the point where I don't even want to point out when Scioscia makes mistakes, mainly because I don't want to agree with the lowest form of fan, the one that has to blame the manager every time a player under performs, the one that feels wronged by bad decisions. It's baseball, one bad decision usually doesn't cost you a game, especially not a game where you left 13 runners on base and hit into two double plays.

As far as the validity of this opinion, well it has more merit than any of us have, but considering the source its at least iffy. How many players have played for Scioscia the last 15 seasons? Which ones come out against him? Well, we have Jose Guillen, Mike Napoli, and Trevor Bell. I am sure there are more but of those three I give credence to Napoli, and that's about it. A handful of guys out of the 100 or so ex players, not bad. I am sure any of us who have managed people in the past would be more than happy having 95%+ satisfaction rating from our employees/team mates.

that's a very level-headed post, so I don't want to come off like I'm picking a fight here.  A couple of things - you're assuming that every player we haven't heard from is totally happy/satisfied with MS as a manager.  I'm sure a lot are, but there's a good chance more aren't.  perhaps Napoli, Guillen, Bell, et all are just the most vocal/brazen.

Also, while I agree it's silly to "blame the manager every time a player under performs", but I don't think that's what going on here.  This is a team that for going on 4 straight years now, has pretty consistently under performed as a whole.  Different players have come and gone in those 4 years, but the one constant has been Scioscia.  It's pretty logical to think he might be part of the problem.

Trevor Bell is to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Trevor Bell is an ass clown deluxe. Most AAA pitching staffs have a large amount of career minor leaguers who take their job very seriously. A lot of them have come to realize they are not going to pitch in the major leagues but they want to keep their AAA jobs for as long as possible. Playing baseball for a living at AAA is still a pretty sweet job. So while most of the guys in the pen would be talking about pitching or the hitters they might face later in the game, Bell would be doing his best to earn a spot on the cast of Animal House. I remember one time someone telling him to shut up and watch the game. I know a lot of Angels fans and a lot of you here who are latching on to this because Scioscia has fallen out of favor, but Trevor Bell isn't credible. If Sean O'Sullivan, Daniel Davidson, or Barrett Browning had said it I would give it some weight. These guys worked their ass off to try and succeed. Whatever their failures, none of them could be contributed to a lack of dedication and hard work. On the other hand, in my opinion of Trevor Bell, he is a spoiled brat who for the first time in his life had to work for something.

One more thing, in all the seasons my rep for the Bees would sit in the bullpen, he did not hear a single negative comment about Scioscia.

* This is my summary of information I received from individuals this morning (after the Tweet was posted) who were very close to these guys over the years in Salt Lake. I went into this thinking it could be taken into consideration, but not after this information was made privy to me. 

Hate on Scioscia all you want, but at the end of the day the bullpen needs to shut down the opposition and our high priced players need to perform, especially when you're hitting well below the mendoza line with RISP. 

Oh and for the record, I'm not a Scioscia apologist. I get as bothered by some of his managerial decisions (or lack thereof) like the rest of you. But what I'm not cool with is pinning the blame on this start on him, or Dipoto for that matter.

tumblr_lqusfh9rBo1qc8l0f.gif