• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let's Play What If...

As I've said before, a more reasonable expectation for Trout this year is more like .290/.900, 25 HR and 40 SB. That would still be a great year, especially with his defense - around 7 WAR. I'm not saying he won't out-play that, but if we're talking reasonable expectations - a line under which performance would be disappointing - I think that's about right.

Team performance is well below expectations in 2012 and in early 2013 isn't meeting expectations because they can't hit with RISP and allow too many runs.  Manager has a long contract because of past achievement and doesn't hit or pitch so isn't responsible .  So he shouldn't be fired.

Company (pick one) performance is well below projections in 2012 and in early 2013 continues on the same trend.  Manager isn't responsible because he doesn't do the work and has a long contract because of past achievement, so he shouldn't be fired. 

I get it now.

there have been many high profile contracts that have worked out for organizations, but we only remember the ones that don't work out because they are so high profile. it's no different than a gambler who only remembers losing, nevermind all the times he won. it's the nature of risk, which is exactly what a big dollar contract is.

there have been many high profile contracts that have worked out for organizations, but we only remember the ones that don't work out because they are so high profile. it's no different than a gambler who only remembers losing, nevermind all the times he won. it's the nature of risk, which is exactly what a big dollar contract is.

I went over this list http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/baseball/mlb/salaries/player/top-25 and tried to think about which ones have worked out. Close to 50% of them have pretty much not worked out already. Another 5 or so worked out okay. A couple worked out well. The rest are players who very recently signed and the outcome is TBD, although a lot of them look promising (Verlander, Felix, Fielder, AGon)

As I've said before, a more reasonable expectation for Trout this year is more like .290/.900, 25 HR and 40 SB. That would still be a great year, especially with his defense - around 7 WAR. I'm not saying he won't out-play that, but if we're talking reasonable expectations - a line under which performance would be disappointing - I think that's about right.

I think that is a reasonable prediction.  I wouldn't crap my pants though if he finishes with an .850 OPS though.   Below that, and I might begin to worry...

I went over this list http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/baseball/mlb/salaries/player/top-25 and tried to think about which ones have worked out. Close to 50% of them have pretty much not worked out already. Another 5 or so worked out okay. A couple worked out well. The rest are players who very recently signed and the outcome is TBD, although a lot of them look promising (Verlander, Felix, Fielder, AGon)

I'm willing to bet most of the failed contracts involved players over the age of 30, correct? 

Giving players over 30 a contract exceeding three or four years is just plain ludicrous. 

Lifetime, the point is for a bit of fun and as a mental exercise. There's no harm in it. Honestly, I don't know what the point is of coming into a thread and asking what the point of it is.

To Brian et al, as for Scioscia's role in the team's struggles, I think it is less a factor after 8 games - unless we're talking about bad call after bad call, which I don't think we are - and more a factor 50 or so games into the season. If the Angels are 20-30 and we're hearing grumblings about clubhouse tensions then you've got wonder what Scioscia's doing wrong. But at 2-6 we're more in a "Hmm, interesting, hope they figure things out soon" state.

Good post, Dochalo. I can't help but think the Angels are in their "Hellenistic phase" (if you know your Greek history) or Empire phase of Rome - over-ripe after an earlier golden age, and trying to compensate for lack of the "It-factor" that championship teams always have with big contracts. I also agree that huge contracts almost never work out well, which is one of the reasons I'm more hesitant to applaud Dipoto as the supposed "JeDi Master." He seems to ignore that history.

If the team tanks this year I think the best we can hope for is that Moreno and Dipoto realize something is rotten and they sell off what parts they can and go for a leaner, meaner look, focus on the farm and bargain hunting until the farm is thriving. This might mean some only-decent years but it would also mean that once Trout hits his prime years the farm would be churning out prospects.

ya, I know what you're trying to do Justin. I don't think there's any value in this kind of exercise. My point was to express my opinion on the post and the exercise it requests. We're a few games into a season and we're looking at doomsday scenarios. Ridiculous! Like I said, it's just another way to couch the incessant Scioscia bashing. 

Wow, Adam, that's pretty pessimistic - especially for the payroll that Moreno's shelling out.

Lifetime, my name is Jonathan, not Justin. And you might realize that i'm not one to overly "Scioscia bash." I do wonder, though, if he's past his prime as a manager.

ya I know. I was distracted when responding. My mistake, sorry Jonathan.

I'm not saying you overly bash Scioscia necessarily but what did you really expect this thread to turn into if not yet another Scioscia drumming? Let's speculate on what happens to the manager if the team completely tanks the season - leads to more manager/coach bashing - as if there isn't enough of that in other threads.