• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bad Metrolink Accident in Oxnard

Lhalo

It's 2015, should at least metrolink trains be completely computerized? There should be no way of a possibility of a crash.

Depending on how long the tractor or whatever vehicle was on the tracks.  And depending on the speed of the train.  Sometimes, even with computers, it's physically impossible to stop a train before impact.  

Good thing that no one was killed.  Unlike that **** that tried to commit suicide in glendale and ended up killing eleven.  

I'm pretty sure the Metrolink trains are computerized. But that only stops them from hitting other trains. It doesn't stop some idiot that decides to park his car on the tracks. I'm not sure what the distance needed is for a Metrolink train to stop completey but I know with freight trains it's at least a mile. Even if Metrolink trains required half of that, that's still quite the distance and that's if they already know ahead of time that someone is on the tracks.

The Metrolink trains chug along at a pretty quick clip, around 70mph.

That's a metric shit ton of mass and inertia to stop.

The big heavy freight trains (2-3 miles in length, 55mph or so) can take upwards of 2 miles to come to a stop, and that's if the track was completely straight.  Add curvature to the track and the braking time increases.

The Metrolinks are much shorter and lighter, but I would think it would take at least a mile for them to stop.

Any time you foul the tracks (ie: park a vehicle or equipment within 25 feet of the rail [freight rail standard distance, Metrolink may be different]) you need clearance and to have a flagman present at all times to act as a lookout.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Metrolink-Train-Crash-Oxnard-Camarillo-Ventura-County-293835911.html

The latest news report says it was a produce truck that was parked on the tracks and that the dude got out and ran away.

F*cking asshole.

I'm pretty sure the Metrolink trains are computerized. But that only stops them from hitting other trains. It doesn't stop some idiot that decides to park his car on the tracks. I'm not sure what the distance needed is for a Metrolink train to stop completey but I know with freight trains it's at least a mile. Even if Metrolink trains required half of that, that's still quite the distance and that's if they already know ahead of time that someone is on the tracks.

The railroads are in the process of implementing a system called Positive Train Control which will enforce speeds, block signal indications, and prevent most train-to-train collisions, but not much more.  PTC is currently plagued with many, many problems and the railroads will not meet the 2015 mandate set by Congress.  They're not even close.  Currently, the only thing preventing trains from crashing into each other is the engineer's attentiveness. 

PTC would not have stopped or prevented this accident.  The only way to prevent accidents like today's is to close all road crossings (not possible) or stop running trains (also not possible). 

I can tell the engineer spotted the truck on the crossing well in advance based on the short distance it came to a stop, and the relative small amount of damage and injuries. 

police found the driver 1.6 miles away from the accident wandering rather aimlessly and in pain. KNX radio reported that he had "obvious injuries" but they didn't go into detail. what injuries does one get from abandoning their vehicle on the tracks?

apparently his wife told reporters or investigators that he got stuck and paniced. not sure i buy into that.