• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2B battle during ST

xboom28x

Rutledge probably gets the nod.

Green will play there some -- more concerned about his glove than anything else.

I see a platoon between Rutledge and Green with Rutledge getting most of the early season starts and Green slowly getting more playing time as the season progresses.

not sure which of the four competing for the position has the better glove -- Green's is somewhat suspect.

Dodgers seem to have a lot of MIFs in camp (and Rollins could go back on the DL, but Howie probably plays 150 plus games at 2B for the Dogs) -- there's that one guy they got from the Cubs 2B/ SS who has a pretty good glove and probably nowhere to play in LA (Burney? Barney? can't remember his name, something like that).  He'd be good for a late inning MIF/ PR kind of guy,

I don't understand the Rutledge thing. If he couldn't hit enough to make up for his poor defensive skills in Colorado, what makes anyone think he'll do it here? Featherston and Green both have upside but Rutledge just seems like a replacement level player (if I'm being generous, he might actually be worse) who isn't going to get better.

Unfortunately, I do think Rutledge will win the job though. They'll give Featherston every chance to stick and rightly so, he has reasonable upside so would be a good one not to lose. Unfortunately that might leave Green as the odd one out though and that seems silly to me.

I don't understand the Rutledge thing. If he couldn't hit enough to make up for his poor defensive skills in Colorado, what makes anyone think he'll do it here? Featherston and Green both have upside but Rutledge just seems like a replacement level player (if I'm being generous, he might actually be worse) who isn't going to get better.

Unfortunately, I do think Rutledge will win the job though. They'll give Featherston every chance to stick and rightly so, he has reasonable upside so would be a good one not to lose. Unfortunately that might leave Green as the odd one out though and that seems silly to me.

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out what the Angels see in Rutledge.

His Home/Away splits are awful and his defense has been poor according the metrics.

His K/BB ratio is unimpressive.  20 walks and 80 ks in 100 games last year.

I guess the only redeeming quality I see is that he's only 25 years old?

What am I missing?

Edited by Poozy

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out what the Angels see in Rutledge.

His Home/Away splits are awful and his defense has been poor according the metrics.

His K/BB ratio is unimpressive. 20 walks and 80 ks in 100 games last year.

I guess the only redeeming quality I see is that he's only 25 years old?

What am I missing?

That's still more that what Green can provide.

Rutledge is younger, faster, grittier, more pop, and better defensively.

There was a quote somewhere, may have been the official website or the OC Register, saying the team might consider carrying three of the four options. Makes sense when you consider Hamilton being gone for who knows how long. My guess is, if they do decide to go with three of them, Rutledge is the starting second baseman, Featherston is the utility infielder, and Giavotella is given a shot. Again, all of these guys are in peculiar spots. Featherston can't be optioned back with his Rule V status, Giavotella is out of options, but Green offers more versatility but also has another option to the minors. I'd guess Rutledge is the "least worst" of the bunch and is the starter, Featherston sticks as the UTIF, and Green eventually replaces Giavotella. 

There was a quote somewhere, may have been the official website or the OC Register, saying the team might consider carrying three of the four options. Makes sense when you consider Hamilton being gone for who knows how long. My guess is, if they do decide to go with three of them, Rutledge is the starting second baseman, Featherston is the utility infielder, and Giavotella is given a shot. Again, all of these guys are in peculiar spots. Featherston can't be optioned back with his Rule V status, Giavotella is out of options, but Green offers more versatility but also has another option to the minors. I'd guess Rutledge is the "least worst" of the bunch and is the starter, Featherston sticks as the UTIF, and Green eventually replaces Giavotella.

What he said.

That's still more that what Green can provide.

Rutledge is younger, faster, grittier, more pop, and better defensively.

Green's career numbers with the Angels say the opposite. 

80 games

.277/.313/.371 684 OPS

Rutledge career stats excluding Coors.

133 games

.230/.274/354 .628 OPS

According the metrics, green is far better defensively, especially at 2nd base.

I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that Rutledge is so much "grittier" than green. Whatever that means.

Edited by Poozy

I would point out that Ianetta had bad splits too, before coming to Anaheim. And he has done just fine. Some guys may hit better in Colorado because of the altitude, but sometimes merely feeling comfortable in a home park could make all the difference. In other words Rutledge might do ok outside of Colorado.

Green's career numbers with the Angels say the opposite.

80 games

.277/.313/.371 684 OPS

Rutledge career stats excluding Coors.

133 games

.230/.274.354 .628 OPS

According the metrics, green is far better defensively, especially at 2nd base.

I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that Rutledge is so much "grittier" than green. Whatever that means.

Lol excluding stats at home. I hope you're right. Edited by Troll Daddy

well, it will certainly make for an interesting Spring.

I was impressed with Grant Green during his time with the Halos last year -- not sure if he's ready for an every day starting role at 2B, but I would be disappointed if he didn't make the 25 ma roster......Grant Green is versatile, can play 3B and some OF as well.......his glove at second may be suspect........he'll need to work hard at that work out infield field at Tempe.......that's a pretty amazing training field......used primarily for foot work on double plays and for infielders and pitchers practicing fielding bunts......

Rutledge is sort of the experienced vet in this field of 2B competitors even though he is still fairly young.

Of course, who-ever wins the gig may be in for a one year tour as the Halos have that young top draft pick prospect (2B / MIF guy) waiting in the wings and who will probably be ready for a promotion in 2016.

I think Rutledge and Grant Green come out of ST with an uneven platoon that starts out primarily with Rutledge starting and then Green taking over in late May, June.

I would point out that Ianetta had bad splits too, before coming to Anaheim. And he has done just fine. Some guys may hit better in Colorado because of the altitude, but sometimes merely feeling comfortable in a home park could make all the difference. In other words Rutledge might do ok outside of Colorado.

Iannetta proved he was capable of hitting away from Coors during his time with the rockies.

Mainly because he's very patient and draws a lot of walks, which isn't dependent on the park he plays in.

Rutledge is the prototypical example of a guy's numbers being inflated by playing in Coors.

Edited by Poozy

I thought Featherston was the best defensively but then read somewhere that none of the four are that great with the glove.

Rutledge is average with the leather at 2B and has the advantage of actually starting at 2B for parts of two seasons at the MLB level........but the post comments here are correct -- Rutledge isn't going to remind anyone of Bobby Knoop.........none of these guys are.

I think Rutledge wins the job out of ST (or, put it this way, it's his job to lose -- which he very well could -- and Grant Green's job to win - which he very well could). It' s going to be an ST where there are actual position player battles........I think Rutledge will be given the chance to lose the job in April and May and just might be able to achieve that.

Somehow I missed that part.

Iannetta had solid splits outside of his last year with the rockies.

Coors tends to inflate the splits both home and road. For some reason, players on the Rockies, almost to a man, have consistently gotten worse on the road than they would otherwise be playing home games in a more neutral park.

It could be that they get into very bad habits, because it's so easy to hit in Denver, and repeat those bad habits when they go to sea level.

Those dying quails that find a glove in more standard stadiums tend to drop in at Coors because the outfielders have to play so far back.