• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chris Iannetta had a .373 OBP last year

NrM

It works for me ... Calhoun needs to step up in the lead off spot.

Edited by Troll Daddy, Yesterday, 11:20 AM.

Nice try ... try again

That's just a observation not talking shit. Checkout his post all star stats ... I stand by my critique.

One thing you haven't figure out about me ... I don't talk shit on players for the Angels.

Kole Calhoun performs better with runners on base

Career

Bases Empty: .259/.318/.433 .751 OPS

Runners on: .290/.345/.466 .811 OPS

2014:

Bases Empty: .261/.319/.425 .743 OPS

Runners on: .291/.337/.497 .834 OPS

A difference of almost 100 points in OPS

The lineup looks a lot stronger with Kole hitting 3rd, behind trout and iannetta.

Edited by Poozy

After doing some research, apparently I'm completely wrong on batting Kole 3rd. He should probably bat 4th or 5th going by my logic.

The Third Spot

"The old-school book says to put your best high-average hitter here. The lead-off hitter should already be in scoring position and a hit drives him in. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

The Book says the #3 hitter comes to the plate with, on average, fewer runners on base than the #4 or #5 hitters. So why focus on putting a guy who can knock in runs in the #3 spot, when the two spots after him can benefit from it more? Surprisingly, because he comes to bat so often with two outs and no runners on base, the #3 hitter isn't nearly as important as we think. This is a spot to fill after more important spots are taken care of."

So I'm thinking this order would be better

Iannetta 

Trout

Pujols

Calhoun

The old-school book says to put your big power bat here, probably a guy with a low batting average, who will hit the big multi-run homeruns.

The Book says the #4 hitter comes to bat in the most important situations out of all nine spots, but is equal in importance to the #2 hole once you consider the #2 guy receives more plate appearances. The cleanup hitter is the best hitter on the team with power.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

Edited by Poozy

Lead-Off

The old-school book says to put a speedy guy up top. Power isn't important, and OBP is nice, but comes second to speed.

The Book says OBP is king. The lead-off hitter comes to bat only 36% of the time with a runner on base, versus 44% of the time for the next lowest spot in the lineup, so why waste homeruns? The lead-off hitter also comes to the plate the most times per game, so why give away outs? As for speed, stealing bases is most valuable in front of singles hitters, and since the top of the order is going to be full of power hitters, they're not as important. The lead-off hitter is one of the best three hitters on the team, the guy without homerun power. Speed is nice, as this batter will have plenty of chances to run the bases with good hitters behind him.

Edited by Poozy

Josh Hamilton doesn't have power so I don't see how they're going to miss production they've never received.

Everyone here complains about Iannetta's defense like it's killing the team even though he's been basically average, so why not move some of his starts to DH.

Imo we need Iannetta's bat in the lineup for at least 120 games.

1.Iannetta-373 OBP

2.Trout-.377 OBP

3.Kole Calhoun-The most productive run producer outside of Trout. Dude mashes with RISP

4.Albert Pujols 

5.Matt Joyce

6.CJ Cron

7.David Freese

8.Grant Green/Rutledge

9.Erick Aybar

Not perfect, but this is pretty much my ideal lineup

Ok now let's review our 2014 batting averages

Iannetta .252

Trout .287

Calhoun .272

Pujols .272

Joyce .254

Cron .256

Freese .260

Green .273

or

Rutledge .269

Aybar .278

Not exactly murderers row.

With offense down those aren't great but they are still pretty good. I am guessing if we compared that to any other team in the west we would look pretty good. Or if we used a better stat than BA.

The 2009 team could hit.

Napoli .272

Morales .306

Kendrick .291

Aybar .312

Figgins .298

Rivera .287

Hunter .299

Abreau .293

Guerrrero .295

After doing some research, apparently I'm completely wrong on batting Kole 3rd. He should probably bat 4th or 5th going by my logic.

The Third Spot

"The old-school book says to put your best high-average hitter here. The lead-off hitter should already be in scoring position and a hit drives him in. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

The Book says the #3 hitter comes to the plate with, on average, fewer runners on base than the #4 or #5 hitters. So why focus on putting a guy who can knock in runs in the #3 spot, when the two spots after him can benefit from it more? Surprisingly, because he comes to bat so often with two outs and no runners on base, the #3 hitter isn't nearly as important as we think. This is a spot to fill after more important spots are taken care of."

So I'm thinking this order would be better

Iannetta

Trout

Pujols

Calhoun

The old-school book says to put your big power bat here, probably a guy with a low batting average, who will hit the big multi-run homeruns.

The Book says the #4 hitter comes to bat in the most important situations out of all nine spots, but is equal in importance to the #2 hole once you consider the #2 guy receives more plate appearances. The cleanup hitter is the best hitter on the team with power.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

So Hamilton has been even more destructive to our offense than previously imagined.

Can't strictly be a DH, has to play at least one other position to keep the DH rotating. 

I'm sorry. What? Please explain. Wouldn't he play catcher? You definitely don't want a guy with his lack of power playing 1B  (or DHing either, really).

Edited by dimitrig

• 2 months later...

Mike Trout had a .377 OBP for comparison.

Bat Iannetta first or second and start him for 140+ games.

I know guys.. It makes too much sense... 

back to your regularly scheduled Chris Iannetta hate train.

i agree