• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB looking at changes to strike zone

LBHalos17

I've been watching baseball for decades and at this point I have no idea what the strike zone is supposed to be. I seem to recall that at one point it was from the knees to the chest.

exactly. doesn't the strike zone just vary with whatever the homeplate umpire wants it to be? thinking the zone had some rigid limits just led me to more yelling at the tv!

im stll trying to figure out the strike zone for bartolo colon's angel playoff game that year in boston. my god did he get worked.

I believe the strike zone is inconsistent but I don't believe it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I would be against having an automated strike zone, that's too much of a change. The league could do a lot better at telling the umps that are different from the norm to get their zone to be the leagues zone. If the true strike zone was called it would speed up the game and it would probably make the offense worse. The high strike is the least called strike in baseball. They've created a league where above the belt is a ball.

I am sure the player association would love #7

There's A LOT I'd change about baseball, but defensive shifts, mound height, ball and strike zone aren't among them. What's wrong with a pitching heavy period? I like 4-3 games just as much if not more than 10-8.

What would I change?

1. Electronic strike zone. No more Country Joe West BS. That way it's always the same, even, fair.

2. Realign divisions. I'd love to see MLB play off their geographical rivalries. A Pacific Division with the Angels, Dodgers, A's, Giants and Padres would be must-see ball.

3. No more HFA decided by the all star game. We've gotta be smarter than that.

4. International Draft. Stop letting large market teams manipulate the market by taking the elite talent.

5. Mandatory drug testing every month and at random times. Stricter penalties too. First offense, 50 game suspension, forfeiture of salary, team forfeits 2 wins at the end of the season. Second offense, full season suspension, forfeiture of pay, team forfeits 3 wins and institutes weekly testing. Third offense, life time suspension, team is automatically disqualified from playoffs.

6. Pitch clock. Keep it at 20-25 seconds, batters must keep one foot in box.

7. Restructure FA market. Give players a specific year and salary limit based on a number of factors, that way both small market and large market teams can offer the same contract more often.

There's A LOT I'd change about baseball, but defensive shifts, mound height, ball and strike zone aren't among them. What's wrong with a pitching heavy period? I like 4-3 games just as much if not more than 10-8.

What would I change?

1. Electronic strike zone. No more Country Joe West BS. That way it's always the same, even, fair.

2. Realign divisions. I'd love to see MLB play off their geographical rivalries. A Pacific Division with the Angels, Dodgers, A's, Giants and Padres would be must-see ball.

3. No more HFA decided by the all star game. We've gotta be smarter than that.

4. International Draft. Stop letting large market teams manipulate the market by taking the elite talent.

5. Mandatory drug testing every month and at random times. Stricter penalties too. First offense, 50 game suspension, forfeiture of salary, team forfeits 2 wins at the end of the season. Second offense, full season suspension, forfeiture of pay, team forfeits 3 wins and institutes weekly testing. Third offense, life time suspension, team is automatically disqualified from playoffs.

6. Pitch clock. Keep it at 20-25 seconds, batters must keep one foot in box.

7. Restructure FA market. Give players a specific year and salary limit based on a number of factors, that way both small market and large market teams can offer the same contract more often.

Number 2 I'd like to see less Dodger games at Anaheim stadium. A good portion of the Dodger fans bring nothing but trouble to the stadium. I've sold every ticket when they come to play at the big A because I do t need my kids seeing that BS. Edited by JAHV76

oh, i'm sure they would

we can file this under :" No Way in Hell"

Oh I think all of mine are "no way in hell" ideas. People are afraid of change and unions would never let any of this happen. Would the game be better? Absolutely, fair too. But these things absolutely won't happen.

One more idea I'd love to see, the American World Series winner face off against NPB winner.

Also, I'd expand the Wild Card game to best of three and make the division series best of 7. It'd make the playoffs last longer, but this could be offset by removing a travel day in the playoffs and maybe reintroducing one double header a month so that the season ends a week earlier.

I completely agree with #7. Greed continues to ruin MLB.

whose greed?  the players?  the owners?  

I don't consider the game to be ruined at all.  I think the economics of the game are what they are.  

I like that the players have an opportunity to make what the market dictates.  The money is there.  It's gonna go to either the players or the owners and I like that it's a little more equally proportioned.  

It's not a perfect system, but it certainly creates a lot of interest.   

what's the strike zone now? Do the umpires even know what it is?

I did NOT like the switch to the so-called HIGH STRIKE -- which wasn't called much (or called very inconsistently).

the strike zone should be from just below the shoulders to the knees.

but whatever strike zone is chosen -- it needs to be called consistently -- gotta say last year (and I probably say this every year the past five years at least) it seemed to get WORSE -- the consistency of the calls..........whatever strike zone the plate umpire uses in the game -- USE IT THE ENTIRE GAME FOR BOTH TEAMS.........how many times do we see inconsistent calls......something that's a strike on one hitter gets called (same location) a ball on another........then hitters start to adjust -- not to the pitcher on the mound -- which is fine and normal -- but the hitters start to adjust to the UMP -- which is terrible.........most MLB hitters are professionals -- play lots of games, lot of ABs over their career........they don't complain about balls and strikes (because you can't and it's an automatic fine) but when I see an MLB hitter complain, it's usually not about just that call -- it's about consistency........

sort of like fouls in basketball games......if it 's a foul early in the first half (college games) or first quarter (NBA games)......it's a foul late in the game as well...........and vice versa.

The buzz on MLB Network today is about how MLB is considering tinkering with either the strike zone or mound, in order to pump-up offense.

Personally, I don't like either idea and would rather leave it to the hitters to continue to scout pitchers and swing at their pitches according to the counts and situations.

Maybe college baseball will provide the solution tho... The NCAA is introducing a "flat-seam" ball this season (Today is Opening Day!), that is supposed to be more lively. I saw a picture of the new ball compared to last years' model, and it even looks slightly larger. I hope it helps, because they've been rumoring about bringing-in the iconic wall at Blair Field.

What do you all think about all this tinkering with the old game?

*Forgot to add my link

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2015-02-11/flat-seam-baseballs-definitely-more-lively-could-boost-offensive

I don't mind the CF and power alley dimensions at Blair. It's the down the line dimensions that are crazy (348), when combining that with the heavy nighttime air through April. Move each foul line fence in by 15 feet and the straightaway fences in by 5 feet.

I'd rather keep ball park dimensions, it really gives each park an identity, and each division for the most part. Take the AL East for example, three of the biggest hitter friendly parks in baseball, so of course scoring will be higher. But then look at the NL West, three oftge biggest pitching parks in baseball, so of course there will be a lot of close, low scoring games.

I'd rather keep ball park dimensions, it really gives each park an identity, and each division for the most part. Take the AL East for example, three of the biggest hitter friendly parks in baseball, so of course scoring will be higher. But then look at the NL West, three oftge biggest pitching parks in baseball, so of course there will be a lot of close, low scoring games.

I don't see why that's worth so much, and it's not like arenas in other sports that have universal dimensions necessarily lack identity.