• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Favorite Trades

This has to be one the best trades ever for our franchise. Figgins is so underrated. I hate it when I hear the "we haven't had a great 3b since Glaus"

I liked this post, but would only say that Figgins wasn't a great 3B in the field, although he made all of the routine plays and had a good arm.

But he was a very good lead off hitter for 6 seasons.

To get him for an afterthought type player in Bartee was a stroke of genius.

Although I would only rate it the 2nd best trade in franchise history between Ryan/Stanton for Fregosi.

Edited by Angel Oracle

• 3 weeks later...

I liked this post, but would only say that Figgins wasn't a great 3B in the field, although he made all of the routine plays and had a good arm.

But he was a very good lead off hitter for 6 seasons.

To get him for an afterthought type player in Bartee was a stroke of genius.

Although I would only rate it the 2nd best trade in franchise history between Ryan/Stanton for Fregosi.

Figgins had a 3.2 defensive war at 3rd base in 2009.

One trade i really hated was Tom Brunansky for Doug Corbett.  Can't remember if Corbett ever got any batter out.

{Please note sarcasm]

Corbett eventually became decent after a horrible 1982, when he could have made a difference in game 5 of the ALCS.

But Brunansky was a rock solid guy for the Twins.

The essentially Jim McGlothlin for Alex Johnson trade was really good for 1970.  

McGlothlin was tragically beaned by a line drive during the 1970 season for the Reds and was never the same again.  

Johnson of course won the 1970 AL batting title.

It took time, but Figgins' 3B defensive WAR finally became solid by 2009.   Even in 2008, it was just 0.9.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Hated the Edmonds for Bottenfield and Kennedy trade at the time and in the long run we probably were on the losing end because Ken sucked so bad, but the AK three home run ALCS game makes up for it.

Guillen for Izzy and Rivera. Guillen became a journeyman and the two we got were solid staples for many years.

That may have been the stoned man's best trade

Figgins strength was being able to play all over the field. That said, he was a very poor defensive 3rd baseman.

He had poor range. Could not go to his back hand. Hard hit ball right at him put him on his heels, to where he would collapse to the ground. His hands were good enough to catch those balls, but was then in a position to where he could not throw the runner out. He never appeared to be ready for the ball coming off the bat. He usually had his hands on his hips at the crack of the bat. The only reason people think he was good was because he could make routine plays. Add any difficulty to the play and he was garbage.

He was poor when they first plugged him there, but by the time he left the Angels he was a very capable 3rd baseman.

The Big Tex trade was pretty exciting at the time. And much better after he bailed and we got Mike Trout for the compensation pick..

Tex was a HUGE trade. Even though he jumped ship, he was great for us. Him jumping ship also turned into Mike Trout. I'd say this one blows the competition away.

Do you guys really believe that the Angels wouldn't have used the Grichuk pick on Trout had Tex re-signed with the team? Trout was second on their board after Strasburg and was going to be an Angel whether they had one or two picks. 

I still am upset about the Carney Lansford trade to Boston. It was easy to see that he was going to be special. At the time the Angels always traded away the young playrrs for vets. This trade was awful. Burleson was really good for the Sox but not so much for the Halos. Carney Lansford would have been the best 3rd baseman in club history and might have won batting titles for the Angels. He also played excellent defense.

two good trades for the Halos was the trade in which we got Frieri from San Diego and the trade in which we sent him to Pittsburgh for Grilli.

We gave up virtually nothing for Frieri and didn't expect much and then he become our closer for close to two seasons;

when the clock hit midnight, we traded Frieri and his glass slippers for Grilli -- and it was a win/win for us....Frieri -- who deteriorated from quality closer to ineffective set up guy to plain ineffective in any role was no longer losing games for us and Grilli actually pitched fairly well.