• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Favorite Trades

I'll add catcher Bob Boone, acquired in December 1981 from the Phillies.  I don't think we traded any players, just cash considerations.  He was behind the dish for 7 seasons, four of which he won the gold glove, and threw out roughly 47% of potential base stealers.  Loved that guy.

Getting Dave Winfield for Mike Witt.

Witt was toast by that point, and Dave gave us a few good seasons

Honorable mention to the Sal Fasano trade in 2002. I don't know who we gave up for him, but his ONE at bat was clearly worth the price we paid.

Edited by NJHalo

Hated the Edmonds for Bottenfield and Kennedy trade at the time and in the long run we probably were on the losing end because Ken sucked so bad, but the AK three home run ALCS game makes up for it.

Guillen for Izzy and Rivera. Guillen became a journeyman and the two we got were solid staples for many years.

Hated the Edmonds for Bottenfield and Kennedy trade at the time and in the long run we probably were on the losing end because Ken sucked so bad, but the AK three home run ALCS game makes up for it.

Guillen for Izzy and Rivera. Guillen became a journeyman and the two we got were solid staples for many years.

The Guillen trade was very good. I forgot about that one.

Most probably have forgotten about Johnny Ray, but I thought that was a pretty good trade.  We sent two nobodies to the Pirates in 1987 for him and he was an all-star in 1988 for us.  Was gone from the game after 1990 but considering what we gave up, not a bad return.

I'll add catcher Bob Boone, acquired in December 1981 from the Phillies.  I don't think we traded any players, just cash considerations.  He was behind the dish for 7 seasons, four of which he won the gold glove, and threw out roughly 47% of potential base stealers.  Loved that guy.

I remember that one -- we only had to give up money for him, I believe, and he was a great presence behind the plate for the next few years. The one thing I'll always remember about it is that I first heard of it when Tony Hernandez, then the weekend sports anchor at Channel 7, reported it and then ripped the Angels for the acquisition, saying they were in desperate need of pitching and getting a veteran catcher was a stupid move. Apparently, it didn't occur to the supposed former minor-league baseball player-turned-broadcaster that getting a player known to be a great defensive backstop might be a big help to the pitchers (which, of course it was).

Oh, and I'm surprised we got this far without someone mentioning the Doug DeCinces-for-Dan Ford deal.

This has to be one the best trades ever for our franchise. Figgins is so underrated. I hate it when I hear the "we haven't had a great 3b since Glaus"

Figgins strength was being able to play all over the field. That said, he was a very poor defensive 3rd baseman.

He had poor range. Could not go to his back hand. Hard hit ball right at him put him on his heels, to where he would collapse to the ground. His hands were good enough to catch those balls, but was then in a position to where he could not throw the runner out. He never appeared to be ready for the ball coming off the bat. He usually had his hands on his hips at the crack of the bat. The only reason people think he was good was because he could make routine plays. Add any difficulty to the play and he was garbage.

Edited by greginpsca