• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

US Little League champs stripped of title

Troll Daddy

I don't think the kids can be held responsible for anything.This isn't a case like the one in NYC where the kid was overage and was lying about it.

How many 111-12 year olds know the Little League zoning boundaries? Plus, even if they did think "hey, why is that kid I've never seen before on my team?" what could they have done about it? Were they supposed to go to the commissioner and say "hey, I think there's redlining happening in my district!" They were listening to, and trusting, the adults around them to do the right thing. The adults didn't.

Stripping the title was the right thing to do. I do feel bad for the team who will now get the title by default who didn't have the chance to celebrate on the field at the time. But I do feel bad for the kids on this team that worked hard and lost the title due to the adults around them being unethical cheaters.

Aid workers. Part-time stadium workers and fast food workers. 6 year old kids trekked across Mexico and dropped on our border. Now kids playing Little League. There's no group too low to earn scorn here on this site.

I don't feel bad for the kids because they learn a valuable life lesson about trusting the non-athletes involved in athletics and anyone on earth who claims to have your best interest in mind.

Yeah, what Vegas Halo Fan said.  Feel GOOD for the Mountain Ridge Little League kids who actually deserved the national title.

Of course they don't get the Sports Illustrated cover.  Or the visit with President Obama.  Or the parades.  Or the appearance on The Tonight Show.  Or the visits with celebrities.  Or getting to go to the World Series.

Yeah.  I don't feel bad for the Jackie Robinson team.  At all.

I ump mainly high school now. Little League was tough! Coaches and parents who are crazy passionate who know nothing about the rules. 

I know what you mean. I've done LL for 7 and HS for 4 now. Worked my way up to a mostly varsity schedule last year.

So much better. Coaches can't complain without a valid reason and it's just better baseball in general. I've found myself clearing most of my schedule for HS.

Not to mention better pay for a struggling college student. I can get the same pay for 1 HS game on a Fri than I can for 3 LL games on a Sat.  :P

About the LLWS: I have often wondered if the foreign teams who come in are selected from within the same kind of restrictive boundaries, or if the countries just assemble a national all-star team and send them here to compete against teams from our neighborhoods.

I've wondered the same thing. I'd imagine it depends on the country. It seems odd that all these countries like Japan, Korea, Tawain, etc. can produce neighborhood teams at the LL level that can compete equally with the best in the US but can't produce major leaguers at nearly the same rate. I'm not saying they aren't producing any major leaguers but with how their LL hangs you would figure 1/3 of MLB would be from those three countries.

I don't really have a problem with them doing it. I'm sure the number of kids playing little league in some of these countries is really small. How many little leagues do you think they have in a place like Saudi Arabia which always wins its region? To give a comparison when I was growing up in Irvine we had two little leagues in the city and the population was half what it is now.

About the LLWS: I have often wondered if the foreign teams who come in are selected from within the same kind of restrictive boundaries, or if the countries just assemble a national all-star team and send them here to compete against teams from our neighborhoods.

my hope is they have to follow the same rules our kids have to follow.

my guess is they haven't.

I've wondered the same thing. I'd imagine it depends on the country. It seems odd that all these countries like Japan, Korea, Tawain, etc. can produce neighborhood teams at the LL level that can compete equally with the best in the US but can't produce major leaguers at nearly the same rate. I'm not saying they aren't producing any major leaguers but with how their LL hangs you would figure 1/3 of MLB would be from those three countries.

I don't really have a problem with them doing it. I'm sure the number of kids playing little league in some of these countries is really small. How many little leagues do you think they have in a place like Saudi Arabia which always wins its region? To give a comparison when I was growing up in Irvine we had two little leagues in the city and the population was half what it is now.

Saudi Arabia's team is made up almost exclusively of expat kids from the Aramco compound in Dhahran. Pretty much all the players are American or Canadian. Since they have the only sanctioned Little League in the country it makes it easy for them to stay within the rules. That compound is the only place in the region with grass and red clay fields. Very nice facilities and some dedicated coaches.

When I young I always looked in awe at how big and physically mature the Japanese and Taiwanese players looked compared to ours. Earlier physical maturity seemed to set them apart but over the last 15-20 years it seems we're catching up in that regard.

my hope is they have to follow the same rules our kids have to follow.

my guess is they haven't.

"Jackie Robinson West isn't the first team to have its Little League title stripped. In 1992, Little League took away the title from Zamboanga, Philippines, and handed it to Long Beach, California, after Zamboanga used several players who lived outside its district or were overage. "

Espn.com

Looks like other countries have to abide by the same rules.

Rev. Jesse Jackson, the polarizing civil rights activist, is calling for Little League International to return the U.S. championship to the 12-year-olds from Jackie Robinson West, mere hours after Little League stripped the team of its title.

And if that doesn't happen, Jackson said Wednesday afternoon, he may take legal action.

Yahoo/sports.com

I know what you mean. I've done LL for 7 and HS for 4 now. Worked my way up to a mostly varsity schedule last year.

So much better. Coaches can't complain without a valid reason and it's just better baseball in general. I've found myself clearing most of my schedule for HS.

Not to mention better pay for a struggling college student. I can get the same pay for 1 HS game on a Fri than I can for 3 LL games on a Sat.  :P

Umping High School was how I survived going through college. Lots of 3:00 high school games and then a pony 7:30 game. Saturday all day! 

What area do you work? 

International teams have rules that they must adhere to as well.

Please don't make this into a " the foreigners are allowed to cheat" thing.  In fact, the entire country of Taiwan (not just a certain region) was banned from 1996 to 2003 from participating in the LLWS.

Edited by Lou