• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

R.I.P. Tark

As a LB St fan since 1971, this hits hard.
Thank you Tark for helping to cultivate a D-1 athletic program at LB St.

R.I.P.

Condolences go out to Lois and their children, and their relatives and friends.

Next game I go to, I need to bring a soaked towel and chew on it to say thanks the proper way.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Three great Tark quotes:

3. "I always like to get transfers, especially from the Pac-10. They already have their cars paid for."

2. "Nine out of 10 schools are cheating. The other one is in last place."

1. "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it's going to give Cleveland State two more years probation."

Three great Tark quotes:

3. "I always like to get transfers, especially from the Pac-10. They already have their cars paid for."

2. "Nine out of 10 schools are cheating. The other one is in last place."

1. "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it's going to give Cleveland State two more years probation."

one of my favorites of all time

The story has been told several times in Las Vegas:

When Tark was coaching in high school his mouth would get dry.  One game was going into over time and he had to keep going to the drinking fountain and was missing the action.  He took a towel, drenched it in water and sucked on it when needed.  His team won in over time.  He kept doing it even when water jugs were being placed at the end of the bench.  Tark was a very superstitious.

He and Coach Wooden had three pretty competitive Western Regional matchups, including two Finals games, from 1970-1972.

It still hurts to this day that LB just missed the Final Four in 1971. 

In 1971 I believe LB St led by Eddie Ratliff, Chuck Terry and George Trapp (I believe Trapp was still playing then), led UCLA by 12 at halftime.  The Referees went couldn't have that upset.  Eddie Ratliff fouled out in the only game of his career.  UCLA came back and won by 2.  I was only 8 but was at the game.  My parents were the ones who kept saying the referees took the game from the 49rs.  Three years ago I was able to watch on DVD.  My parents were right.  LB ST was robbed from the game.  There were three phantom calls on Ratliff and the 5th was non existent.  

As you might expect, the television stations here have been covering this pretty much non-stop. The argument can reasonably be made that Jerry Tarkanian built UNLV. When he arrived on campus it was a relatively insignificant school of about 6,000 students and only a handful of buildings on campus. The basketball team played at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Now the university has just under 28,000 students, an on-campus arena and plans on the board for an on-campus football stadium. The publicity gained through Tark's UNLV teams helped to expose the university to people who never knew that it existed.

RIP, Tark.