• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoroughbred Racing

On May 1, 2019 at 8:25 PM, gotbeer said:

Loser for the Kentucky Derby.

Maximum Security, Omaha Beach

over Maximum Security, Omaha Beach, Code of Honor, Game Winner

over Vekoma, Maximum Security, Omaha Beach, Code of Honor, Game Winner

over Vekoma, Maximum Security, Code of Honor, Game Winner

Exacta $6

Trifecta $18

Superfecta $32

All dead money.

Ouch 

On 5/1/2019 at 8:25 PM, gotbeer said:

Loser for the Kentucky Derby.

Maximum Security, Omaha Beach

over Maximum Security, Omaha Beach, Code of Honor, Game Winner

over Vekoma, Maximum Security, Omaha Beach, Code of Honor, Game Winner

over Vekoma, Maximum Security, Code of Honor, Game Winner

Exacta $6

Trifecta $18

Superfecta $32

All dead money.

At least Omaha Beach had the decency of kissing victor's mom before the race and catching some breathing disease.  

The decision to DQ Maximum Security was puzzling for sure.  He did impede a couple horses, but he didn't impede Country House, IMO. What a crappy way to win a derby. The range of emotions that the Max. Security team must have felt is beyond anything I can imagine.  There are a boat load of horses in that race - crap is going to happen. It's a freakin' shame.  I didn't bet on any horses... just watched it on TV.  I've been to the Derby once (when Nyquist won)- it was a great experience.  Would do it again...

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Maximum Security's owner has filed an appeal. 

I thought he was just considering it... I thought I read he would have to appeal through federal courts.

22 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I thought he was just considering it... I thought I read he would have to appeal through federal courts.

Not sure where you read that. the owner has 48 hours to appeal with the state racing commission 

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

Not sure where you read that. the owner has 48 hours to appeal with the state racing commission 

Several places... here's one:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/2019/05/05/kentucky-derby-commission-rules-dont-allow-for-appeal-of-steward-decision/1110604001/

Here you go:

"We are going to file an appeal today with the state racing commission," West said. "Right after the race, I had the trainer call the stewards and very nicely ask them if they would be willing to visit with us after the races were over. I said, 'We'll stay here until 11, 12 o'clock at night, whatever you want,' and they said, 'Absolutely not, we won't be showing the films until Thursday.' We didn't really have any alternative legally ... the appeal has to be filed within 48 hours."

Regardless, it's a mess.  Add the gambling component and it's a disaster. The lack of transparency makes it even worse.

The Derby has way too many horses in it to begin with, IMO.

Edited by True Grich

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

He did impede a couple horses, but he didn't impede Country House,

Maximum Security was dropped behind all those that he impeded, Those horses finished behind Country House, leaving House with the win. 

47 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Regardless, it's a mess.  Add the gambling component and it's a disaster. The lack of transparency makes it even worse.

You look at international racing, and they have over 20 horses, for regular claiming races.  I've seen races with 30 horses running.  And they never have these kinds of problems.  Well, I should say they occassionally have these types of problems, but they are taken down pretty quickly.  But the difference in riding from international to US is night and day.  International racing it's strategic.  US is blunt force trauma.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

simple solution: run the race at santa anita. that should take care of the 'too many horses' dilemna.

I'm just a casual racing fan...  but from my point of view - letting Country Home take home the victory was tragic and unjustified.  I'm not here to argue that point to death because I don't care that much about it.  I still think it's a crappy way to win a Derby. I can't imagine how hard it is to control animals that large, running that fast in a crowd of 20+ horses.  It was just a black eye for a sport that needs some good PR and from what I understand is suffering from an attendance and interest.  The sport probably didn't gain any new fans as a result of what happened - but it might of lost a few.

That sucks because they both would have taken a ton of dough and had no chance.

Servis has 1000+ starters over the past 3 years. He's winning at 30% or so. He's run 39 times 2 weeks or less off the layoff and has 4 winners. His "program" isn't conducive to horses "recovering" quickly. 

And Country House lol. That horse prolly won't ever win again.

will be interesting to see country house run in the preakness. i don't know if it's a weak or strong field, but his chances to win the triple crown have increased with maximum security out of the running.