• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's that time of year again

Brandon

Mauer's contract is not even in the same Galaxy as albert's and Josh's imo

Mauer - 2014 ops+ 107, 4/92 left

Hamilton - 2014 ops+ 114, 3/90

I am not seeing a massive difference other than that Mauer is likeable.  

Like I said, the pujos contract is worse, but I'd rather have Albert over Joe.  

If Joe were still willing to catch, it would be an entirely different ballgame. 

The Mauer situation is interesting. No one seems to ever bring that contract up because: 

1) the Twins aren't a high-profile team and they've been awful the last couple years so no one pays much attention

2) everyone - not just Twins fans - was happy to see Mauer get that contract because it was a small market team locking up their homegrown (then) star player and not letting the Yankees swoop in and get him.

people just don't want to talk about what an awful contract that has turned out to be purely in terms of production for the money. Symbolically, it almost feels like the Twins had to give him that contract.

Give it time. Once the A-Rod and a few other contracts fall off, and Pujols' production falls even farther, it will be there.

yeah, true.

what's mind blowing to me is that the Angels committed $250M to a guy who (because of Trout) will have played 10 years here and not have even been the best player on the team for 1 of those years.

Mauer's contract is not even in the same Galaxy as albert's and Josh's imo

Really?   Mauer will make 23 mil this year -- Albert 24.   Mauer's earned 66 million dollars the last 3 years, Albert 51 million,.  Mauer's played in 462 ganes since signing his contract 4 years ago, His 28 HRs combined over those last 4 years are equal to what AP hit last year...  The value of his 184 million contract came from his being a catcher, he has started 192 games at C since signing his contract.

Perspective is a mofo sometimes..

APs contract still sucks BTW.....

Edited by Inside Pitch

Line drive power hitter and they build a new stadium with a 25 foot high wall in right to neutralize him. The Twins created their own power outage.

Fair point but the Twins park has HR indexes of 91 to both lefties and righties,...  Angel Stadium comes in at 82 (Hamilton) and 92 (AP).

Edited by Inside Pitch

I agree with the article that if I'm stuck with a bad contract I at least want production compared to Upton, ARod, Harrison.

The others may be bad contracts, but A-Roid's has the least chance of getting anything in return. He will turn 40 in July, he has had surgery on both hips and he sat out the entire last season. Maybe the Yankees can afford to eat the contract, maybe not, but at least Pujols has the potential to produce something.

Joe Mauer hit .324/.404/.476 just a year ago so I wouldn't count him out yet.

Pujols is a candidate for worst contract. The sheer size and length makes it worst than A-Rod and others.

We haven't even hit the real bad years with Pujols contract yet either. He already plays/looks like he's 45 years old and there's still 6 years to go after this upcoming season

With all this said, we all knew this contract was gonna be brutal the moment it was signed. I just hope he can give the team another 3 years of similar production that he had in 2014. Obviously not what we or the team expected, but still worthwhile. .270 BA with 25-30 HR in today's offensively challenged era isn't so bad

Really? Mauer will make 23 mil this year -- Albert 24. Mauer's earned 66 million dollars the last 3 years, Albert 51 million,. Mauer's played in 462 ganes since signing his contract 4 years ago, His 28 HRs combined over those last 4 years are equal to what AP hit last year... The value of his 184 million contract came from his being a catcher, he has started 192 games at C since signing his contract.

Perspective is a mofo sometimes..

APs contract still sucks BTW.....

IP, I generally love your posts but can't get behind this one. Mauer's contract us bad and we'll be bad for 3 more years. It is probably slightly worse than Pujols' over the last few years. But you have to use the whole remaining contract when comparing. Pujols has what 7 years and 200 million left and Maurer has 3 for 90? I don't think Pujols well have close to twice the value of Maurer left.

He's not overrated defensively. I think he should have been traded with Profar waiting in the wings, but I won't hate the contract as long as he can provide something close to league average offense.

Put it this way. There ain't anyway I would pay Aybar 6 years/over $100 million. And I'd rather have him over Andrus.

Fair point but the Twins park has HR indexes of 91 to both lefties and righties,... Angel Stadium comes in at 82 (Hamilton) and 92 (AP).

Yes, marine layer plus high wall = good luck lefties trying to hit one out of Angel Stadium.

Really, outside of Vaughn and GA, there have been very few power lefties in the lineup since 1998 when the new RF setup debuted.

That should have been the only clue needed to NOT sign Hackilton for so much. And now? ZERO HRs at home in 2014

It is ironic that AK was the lefty who hit 3 HRs in one game here.

The righty hitters have had it easier, like Glaus, Salmon, Vlad, Trout, Pujols, etc.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Ok, so Pujols' contract is not one you would find at the "Baseball Walmart" but at least he shows emotion.  Bill Buckner was still productive as a gimpy player, I think it is possible that Pujols will be able to do that as well.

I hope the Angels have learned from their recent "big splashes" and continue to focus on their current approach for building a sustainable future.

the only issue i have with pujols contract is that he got 10 years and trout only got 6.   this organization doesn't seem to have it's priorities straight.

Trout wasn't going to sign a 10-year contract.  He's still really young and by signing a 6 year deal, he can become a free agent again when he's 29 and then go for the 10-year, $300MM+ contract at that time.  In the long run, Trout will get more money doing it this way rather than signing a 10-year deal now and becoming a free agent in his 30's when teams are reluctant to give up long deals worth tons of money.

Trout wasn't going to sign a 10-year contract.  He's still really young and by signing a 6 year deal, he can become a free agent again when he's 29 and then go for the 10-year, $300MM+ contract at that time.  In the long run, Trout will get more money doing it this way rather than signing a 10-year deal now and becoming a free agent in his 30's when teams are reluctant to give up long deals worth tons of money.

Both sides got something they wanted. The Angels kept Trout under club control for a significant period of time, and Trout got the freedom to explore the free agent market before he hits 30.