• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB's Awful Blackout Rules Are Finally Under Attack In Court

NrM

Take information in this story with a grain of salt.  The writer of this piece interviewed me last year for a story she was doing on MLB teams that had Fanfest events.  I was interviewed for the Spring Training Fanfest that we do for Angels fans.  

In her story she identified me as the editor in chief of AngelsWin.  That was never part of our conversations.  I made it quite clear I was (at the time) Director of Social Media for the site.  I'm still not sure how she arrived at that title.  Which made me wonder how much of her other articles are populated by "facts" that she invented.  

Take information in this story with a grain of salt.  The writer of this piece interviewed me last year for a story she was doing on MLB teams that had Fanfest events.  I was interviewed for the Spring Training Fanfest that we do for Angels fans.  

In her story she identified me as the editor in chief of AngelsWin.  That was never part of our conversations.  I made it quite clear I was (at the time) Director of Social Media for the site.  I'm still not sure how she arrived at that title.  Which made me wonder how much of her other articles are populated by "facts" that she invented.  

Not surprised. Deadspin is owned by Gawker. I used an archive link because I refuse to give them my precious clicks.

Edited by Poozy

My worst experience was when I lived (briefly thank god) in Fresno.  That is an Oakland/SF market.  I got MLB Extra Innings on DirecTV to watch Angels games and of course the games against Oakland every year were blacked out.  Well Oakland had half of their games on a local OTA TV station that was not available on Fresno Cable TV.  Those games were still blacked out for me even though it was on a station that was impossible to get in Fresno.  Very frustrating.

Take information in this story with a grain of salt. The writer of this piece interviewed me last year for a story she was doing on MLB teams that had Fanfest events. I was interviewed for the Spring Training Fanfest that we do for Angels fans.

In her story she identified me as the editor in chief of AngelsWin. That was never part of our conversations. I made it quite clear I was (at the time) Director of Social Media for the site. I'm still not sure how she arrived at that title. Which made me wonder how much of her other articles are populated by "facts" that she invented.

This is the best you come up with after your coup was outed? Really??

For those who watch other major sports, is baseball the only sport with crazy blackout rules?

Yes. In other sports, games are only blacked out in a limited radius around the stadium as a way of preserving ticket sales if the game is not sold out (although research has proven that it does nothing of the kind). Baseball requires that every zip code in America be designated as a home market by at least one team, whose games are blacked out there if not televised by the regional Fox Sports network. Any team can claim any market that doesn't have its own team. Some of us are fortunate enough to be in an area claimed by as many as six teams (such as my city), making purchasing MLB Extra Innings virtually pointless. My brother in law lives south of Oklahoma City, and they are a home market area for four teams. It's all pretty ridiculous. If I were deliberately trying to kill interest in the game, I would put in a system like what MLB has.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I brought this up with Jerry Dipoto at Fanfest last year.  He acted like the extent of the issue (and especially how it affected those of us in Las Vegas) was completely news to him.  

Amazingly, he actually followed up with me via email several weeks into the season.  Said he had looked into it but that it was above his pay grade, essentially, and that it was an issue that the owners would be taking up in the future.

Not much of a promise to do anything, but I did appreciate receiving an email from him.  (I was actually unreasonably giddy about receiving the email.)  And now I have his email address so I can send him unsolicited trade ideas.  (Though I haven't actually worked up the nerve to do so quite yet.)

I brought this up with Jerry Dipoto at Fanfest last year.  He acted like the extent of the issue (and especially how it affected those of us in Las Vegas) was completely news to him.  

Amazingly, he actually followed up with me via email several weeks into the season.  Said he had looked into it but that it was above his pay grade, essentially, and that it was an issue that the owners would be taking up in the future.

Not much of a promise to do anything, but I did appreciate receiving an email from him.  (I was actually unreasonably giddy about receiving the email.)  And now I have his email address so I can send him unsolicited trade ideas.  (Though I haven't actually worked up the nerve to do so quite yet.)

That is pretty awesome that he followed up with you personally. If you don't want to email JD, you can always just PM your trade ideas to Tank. He'll bring them to the table at lunch.