• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lasner Weighs in on Stadium Negotiations

Lhalo

well St. Louis is about to -- they 'lost' the St. Louis Browns (to Baltimore) and are about to lose the Rams (back to LA/ Irwindale?)

can't think of any others........unless you count New York losing the Giants and the Dodgers and then getting the NY Jets.........that's certainly a losing football team........

Seattle lost the Seattle Pilots (1969) and (much) later lost the Seattle Supersonics (to Oklahoma City which has turned out to be a great NBA town for them).

to me the most mystifying 'loss of a franchise' in any sport (well, the LA losing the Rams was pretty bad) was Minnesota losing the North Stars to Dallas -- I never understood that. Speaking of Minnesota -- years prior to that  (losing the North Stars) they lost their team to Washington, D.C. which then lost that team to Texas.

But a hockey nuts place like Minnesota losing an NHL team to DALLAS??? 

One of the reasons given for it is that Minnesotans were too busy with youth hockey leagues/ travel teams, high school and collegiate hockey and pick up game on the lakes hockey to go to NHL games.......

Los Angeles. In fact, they've lost a baseball team and two football teams. Hell, three football teams.

Do you really consider LA losing the Angels? Maybe I'm not up to date on the Angels history, but I thought once the Angels were given Major League "approval" it was understood they would be going to Anaheim, am I wrong on that?

Saint Louis list the football Cardinals already. Kansas City has lost the A's and Kings (basketball). San Diego may lose the Chargers and lost the Clippers. Oakland has lost the Raiders and may lose them again and there is a very good shot the A's leave too. L.A. has lost 2 football teams and it's doing okay.

Los Angeles Angels were the 'second' LA franchise in MLB.

O'Malley owned the rights to the PCL LA Angels and Autry paid dearly (to O'Malley) to infringe upon LA territorial rights.

In 1961 the Angels played in old Wrigley Field in LA and then moved to Dodger Stadium the next year where O'Malley and the Dodgers got all the concession revenue and all the parking revenue.....the Angels only received ticket sales revenue and the media rights contracts were no where close to what they are today......in any case, Autry owned KTLA and I think KMPC 710 -- and Autry --always known to be a bit tight with a buck -- wouldn't have his stations pay much for them anyway and it would have been in one pocket and out the other for him......

But Autry intended to place the team in Anaheim Day One -- so I wouldn't say LA 'lost' the Angels.

As for the LA Express and the California Sun (they also played in Anaheim Stadium -- still remember of a photo of Anthony Davis in a California Sun uni at Anaheim Stadium) -- I wouldn't say LA necessarily 'lost' them -- the league(s) folded  (although I guess the Sun team did move to Anaheim).

good catch -- St. Louis did lose the Cardinals (football team - remember QB Jim Hart?) to Arizona......so they've lost the St. Louis Browns, they lost an NBA team as well -- St. Louis Hawks(?) they moved to Atlanta -- the St Louis Cardinals (football) and now the St Louis Rams are above to leave.

KC lost the Kings to Sacramento and the A's to Oakland.

Los Angeles Angels were the 'second' LA franchise in MLB.

O'Malley owned the rights to the PCL LA Angels and Autry paid dearly (to O'Malley) to infringe upon LA territorial rights.

In 1961 the Angels played in old Wrigley Field in LA and then moved to Dodger Stadium the next year where O'Malley and the Dodgers got all the concession revenue and all the parking revenue.....the Angels only received ticket sales revenue and the media rights contracts were no where close to what they are today......in any case, Autry owned KTLA and I think KMPC 710 -- and Autry --always known to be a bit tight with a buck -- wouldn't have his stations pay much for them anyway and it would have been in one pocket and out the other for him......

But Autry intended to place the team in Anaheim Day One -- so I wouldn't say LA 'lost' the Angels.

You are absolutely right that Autry was anxious to get out from under the thumb of O'Malley, but the move to Anaheim was never a given.  Reportedly, Long Beach was prepared to build a stadium for the Angels, but would have insisted that the team be called the Long Beach Angels.  That was a deal -breaker for Autry.  Anaheim was willing to build a stadium without requiring any naming rights (it was Disney that agreed to include Anaheim in the name).

The baseball team thinks so much of them that they want to be named for a city 30 miles to the north.

And there is still a Stanley Cup winning hockey team in town.

Nobody complained about LA being in the name when the Rams were in town

Edited by ScottLux

Of course he has a poor opinion of the city of Anaheim.

I don't know if he "has it out" for the city, and I don't really care.  As far as having a deal in place with another city, I haven't seen a lot of generous offers.  God forbid he head up the road and put the team in the place he's renamed it.

what if he is referring to LA County?  

hmmmmm...... The Los Angeles Angels of Pomona. 

we're going to need more black guys

Lol, some funny comments in this thread.

Arte changed the name for one reason.  You can market Los Angeles a lot easier than you can market Anaheim outside of southern CA.  The people arguing otherwise know this but are just still bitter about the name change.

Then why not change back to California Angels? Take them all.