• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hector Olivera - More Cubans

LAAMike

I see that the Braves have worked out this 29 year old 2B/3B. At 6 feet and 220, he is an interesting prospect. Played on the National Team in the 2008 Olympics, has five years of Serie Nacional experience but sat out the 2012-2013 season with a blood disorder. Returned in 2014 to hit 316/412/474. One of the Baseball America writers has him as the second best available Cuban behind Moncada. The same writer ranked him ahead of Yasmany Tomas who got a huge contract with the D-Backs. Evidently the Braves, Giants, Padres, Rangers and the Yankees have expressed interest. As I mentioned in my earlier Cuban post, serving five years with the Serie Nacional supposedly exempts whoever signs him from the 100% penalty.

I'm surprised how quiet the Halos have been on the Cuban second basemen, especially after dealing Howie. I thought it made perfect sense; trade one year of Howie for a cost-controlled starter and then add from a good crop of Cubans to replace him. It actually allows Baldoquin to solely focus on shortstop. 

Sounds like a guy who can hold his own defensively and provide an above average bat due to some good power. I wouldn't mind signing him. It would give us Kubitza, Baldoquin, Yarbrough and Oliviera to cover 3 spots going into 2016. Assuming 1 or 2 of those guys don't pan out like we think they will, it would probably work out just fine having a wealth of infielders going into the future. 

I'm surprised how quiet the Halos have been on the Cuban second basemen, especially after dealing Howie. I thought it made perfect sense; trade one year of Howie for a cost-controlled starter and then add from a good crop of Cubans to replace him. It actually allows Baldoquin to solely focus on shortstop. 

It makes perfect sense...if we aren't involved, you have to wonder if the Pujols, Hamilton and CJ contracts haven't put a lid on Arte's wallet more than we already knew---salary cap, etc....

It makes perfect sense...if we aren't involved, you have to wonder if the Pujols, Hamilton and CJ contracts haven't put a lid on Arte's wallet more than we already knew---salary cap, etc....

Well they also shed some payroll with trading Howie so you'd basically be replacing Howie's contract with one of these guys, right? I just have no faith in Rutledge or Green being the starting second baseman and I'm not high on Giovatella or Yarbrough. 

Hector Olivera was extremely impressive in a game setting at his second open showcase today, reports Ben Badler of Baseball America. The right-handed hitting, 29-year-old second baseman ripped a pair of home runs and also hit a double to the opposite field gap. Olivera split his time between second base and third base and also showed an above-average time in the 60-yard dash (6.65 seconds) prior to the game. 

agreed. Makes me wonder if dipoto is opperating on a strict budget because of recent signings.

I mentioned Olivera in the Primer series. His hitting ability wasn't that far behind Jose Abreu in the Cuban League and he is an intriguing player for sure. He screams #2 or #5/#6 hitter to me.

I suspect 4-5 years at $50-60MM gets it done. It may go as high as 5 years/$75MM if there are a lot of bidders.

This would be a great time to find a trade partner for C.J. Wilson and then sign Olivera. However I think that the group of Rutledge, Giovatella, Green, Yarbrough, and Featherston are the contenders.

• 4 weeks later...